ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Invitation to test drive 02 ES?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-01, 03:01 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a invitation letter in the mail to test drive 02 ES, here is the detail

Aug 11-12, 2001
El toro marine base
rsvp 1800-747-4762
www.LexusES300Drive.com

Old 07-21-01, 06:33 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Are you going to go? It would be cool if someone could go and give us a "sneak preview" before the car was released...
Old 07-23-01, 04:25 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

I'm going to Japan in Augest so I won't be there. In the pictures the front of new ES looks very ugly. In fact ES300 = overprice camry. I paid 37K for my ES and the interior has cheap plastic you can find in a 18K Camry. If you looking for a new car I suggest you to go look for 3 series they are about same price and looks like BMW has the best value.
Old 07-24-01, 12:41 PM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW540....isnt that what every Lexus is...a Toyota+$$$$$. I would much rather have the ES than a Camry. If u r complaining about plastic, isn't that what BMW puts in their 3 series (At least thats what they put in my uncles 97 m3)
Just my .02
Old 07-24-01, 10:12 PM
DevilDog
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by BMW540-6
I'm going to Japan in Augest so I won't be there. In the pictures the front of new ES looks very ugly. In fact ES300 = overprice camry. I paid 37K for my ES and the interior has cheap plastic you can find in a 18K Camry. If you looking for a new car I suggest you to go look for 3 series they are about same price and looks like BMW has the best value.
Every car has plastic! Have you driven a camry, then driven an ES300. If you have ever done this you would know there is a difference!

3-series: that means how many times you must take car to the dealer to get the same problem fixed!
Old 07-25-01, 03:04 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

top model E38 & E39 has leather covered dashboard and penals they looks much better. I drove camry and yes I think ES and camry are basicly the same, it has same engine and both fwd. I still don't understand why ES is $15K more.. i do get the service and longer warrenty but that doesn't worth 15K..my warrenty expire before I had a chance to use it I feel rip off

Old 07-25-01, 08:11 AM
anthracitetarga
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BMW540....One reason that the ES might be more expensive is b/c of the dealerships themselves. Here in Nashville, our local Toyota dealership sucks. We have had problems w/ it since we moved here about 8 yrs. ago. We are very loyal to them though. We took our 92 Previa and 91 Celica GT-S to them all the time and we bought our 97 4Runner from them. The Lexus dealership on the other hand has been one of the greatest. The Toyota dealership doesn't have any waiting room, awful staff,etc. Our Lexus dealership makes us feel right at home whenever we go there. When my dad was lloking to buy a new car, he looked at the new Avalon and liked it a lot (except for the exterior design) but i told him ot go look at a Lexus too (this was after we got the SC) He went to the dealership and test drove a new ES and a used 99 GS. He ended up deciding b/t the GS and the Avalon blc he felt the ES was too small. In the end he got the GS b/c of the dealerships. Eventhough the Lexus dealership is 30 min. away and the Toyota one is 10 min. from his office, he got the GS anyways. Sorry for the long post but thought that it may be a reson for the higher price. Also, the Lexus probably has better materials than Toyota...leather,etc.
Old 07-26-01, 04:16 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

In fact ES300 = overprice camry. I paid 37K for my ES and the interior has cheap plastic you can find in a 18K Camry. If you looking for a new car I suggest you to go look for 3 series they are about same price and looks like BMW has the best value.
Yeah, you're a bright one...coming to a Lexus board knocking Lexus...and you drive something from Bavarian Monkey Works...you should think twice before doing something like that...BMW has two things going for it: Performance and exterior styling (value, as you mentioned, is not one of them). Nothing a GS400/430 couldn't handle. Plus, every Lexus has quality, comfort, and luxury BMW/Mercedes could only DREAM of...oh, yeah, I'm sure your 540-6 is a real "NSX killer". BMW cars are rolling leper colonies as far as I'm concerned.
Old 07-26-01, 04:40 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In the pictures the front of new ES looks very ugly. In fact ES300 = overprice camry. I paid 37K for my ES and the interior has cheap plastic you can find in a 18K Camry. If you looking for a new car I suggest you to go look for 3 series they are about same price and looks like BMW has the best value.
The front looks better than the 3 series front with the sagging eyeballs design.

Plastic you can find everywhere. It's just the quality of the plastics. Like LEATHERETTE and real leather.

3 series DO cost alot, especially if you get like 330i with a buncha options, it's easily over 40k into the GS300 range. I wouldn't pay that much for something that's a class lower unless it's like a C32 or M3.

BMW has great value, but think about all the time and money you'll need AFTER buying that car. Many of us don't have the time to make a trip to the dealer every other day with a BMW.
Old 07-27-01, 03:54 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, you're a bright one...coming to a Lexus board knocking Lexus
how?? I'm just speaking form personal experiance. $37K is not what ES worth for PERIOD. By the way I do have a CAMRY (company car) and I spent equal amount on both and what i'm saying is they are basiclly the same car using same chasis. ES has better break, interior/exterior design than camry but has same engine under the hood. can you justify $15K just for that?

and you drive something from Bavarian Monkey Works
is that insult?

BMW has great value, but think about all the time and money you'll need AFTER buying that car. Many of us don't have the time to make a trip to the dealer every other day with a BMW
Stereotype right there. I own 2 BMW's since late 96(both e39)I never had a major problems. The only $$$ spent are bodykits, wheels and other upgrades. Everything else are under factory warrenty just like my ES. Not a penny spent on machancal work. So I don't know what you talking about?? time & $$?? where?? Also, as soon as warrenty expire I'm selling my car, who gives a crap if it break down after.