ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

The Free Mod Series - Part I Quicker Transmission Shifting

Old 09-24-07, 12:54 PM
Sash
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ariyanna
I found the cable but theres now way to turn the nut cause theres a metal part in between both those nuts. What do I have to do to make this work?
You have to pull it out from inbetween the metal part. I'd recommend to spray a little WD-40 to loosen the grip up. After you've removed it then you can adjust the bolts and put them back into that holder.
Old 09-24-07, 01:42 PM
Ariyanna
Lead Lap

will I really notice a difference if I do this mod
Old 09-24-07, 06:13 PM
licensed
Driver School Candidate

yes i have actually noticed a difference now after a little more driving. great mod.
Old 09-24-07, 10:19 PM
abobiznow
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very cool thread
Old 09-28-07, 10:37 PM
tuan92129
Lexus Champion

Ok, I tried it. I'd have to say you can kind of feel the diference, i moved the nut 1/4 the way like pheonix said, and the tranny shifts about 500 rpm earlier. Not much of a noticeable difference, but lol different.
Old 09-28-07, 11:26 PM
mcelligott
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tuan92129
Ok, I tried it. I'd have to say you can kind of feel the diference, i moved the nut 1/4 the way like pheonix said, and the tranny shifts about 500 rpm earlier. Not much of a noticeable difference, but lol different.
You get what you pay for
Old 07-16-08, 08:47 PM
basketthis
Pole Position

i know this thread is old. if anyone can respond it would be very helpful. i am having problems with my 95 es300 revving pretty high before shifting into second and so on... please look at this thread i have linked and tell me if the throttle kick-down cable has helped anyone with this problem or if mine is already adjusted to this "sensitivity" and that's why it feels so "strong" or "jerky" while shifting gears. thanks!!
linky: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=367157
Old 07-22-08, 12:48 AM
rmsoulball
Driver School Candidate

very nice mod(for me this was more of a fix).

i had a problem with my engine rev'ing up to 4000 or 5000 rpm before it would change gear into second. pretty lame because it would literally take me 30-40 seconds to get from 0-60. i think when i got my engine mount fixed, the guys probably did not tighten the kick down cable back properly. EXTREMELY noticeable difference in gear shifting in my case lol.

thank you for this post
Old 01-09-10, 04:01 PM
adreano17
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

im embarassed to ask this, because im going to sound like a real n00b, but what is WOT operation?
Old 01-10-10, 06:29 AM
97'ES
Driver

old thread pull ups abound..... WOT is wide open throttle, ie. accelerator to the floor.
Old 01-10-10, 07:42 PM
86'ed
Rookie

Damn................... My throttle kick-down cable was looser than a mother of 13 big-headed children! This made a fairly significant improvement for me! Thanks Pheonix!
Old 01-15-10, 10:47 AM
kaldES98
Lead Lap

I did this and it made my transmission shift smoother.. ????... i'm pretty sure i tightened it the right way.. I had to tighten it closer to the part that says less thread right?
Old 01-15-10, 05:41 PM
tomstep2
Pole Position

I am going to have to try this tomorrow. Will this make the ECT button insignificant then?
Old 03-15-10, 10:42 PM
Ryujin
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Gotta love midnight modding!

Just b/c it was midnight where I live did not stop me from trying this mod out. XD

I live in a fairly level area with few hills that challenge the lower gears and shifting too much. I just got back from a trip to Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and the cabin we stayed in was up a very steep and curvy hill that my 95 model climbed easily enough, but not as much as I wanted. I searched the site and found this and had to try it out immediately. Even without the hills to worry about, I love the power I get off the line! It used to shift around 2 - 3k rpm and now around 5k rpm (which I have been told is not a great thing with a stock engine) but it does accelerate much better. Just love it!

I was on a local 4 lane highway and due to the time it was empty. I started out with a normal drive like usual and noticed the difference immediately. I wanted to test the "red line" effect so I came to a dead stop and burned out for several yards before I let off the gas to keep from eating up the tires too much. When I pulled off to the shoulder for a sec, a Cherokee passed by and I waited for it to get down the road but I guess not far enough. When I took off that time, the new traction and acceleration got me caught up promptly and he changed lanes and matched my speed for a moment. Due to me only testing the car and not wanting to press my luck more-so with the chance of a cop, I let off and let them go on their way. I tested on the interstate at higher speeds and also in higher gears and it was so much stronger than described in the original post.

Overall, I repeat that I love the power and I recommend this mod to anyone to at least try. You will feel the difference.

Keep up the great work and the economically priced mods (free ones like this are great).
Old 03-16-10, 06:42 PM
HamBurglar
Driver

I definately want to try this out, since I added big wheels on my car I have slower accelertain maybe this will help?

Is there any way to screw this up, seems simple enough?
If it's adjusted too much will it destroy the transmission?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Free Mod Series - Part I Quicker Transmission Shifting