ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.
View Poll Results: What problems you have run into in your ES?
Burnt out instrument needles or lights
45.52%
Valve cover gaskets or rear main seal (causing oil leaks)
29.92%
Failed heated seats
11.51%
Peeling of B-pillar (between front & rear windows)
19.05%
A/C defective
11.64%
Yellow or hazed headlights or foglights
35.29%
Transmission hesitation, or lag of acceleration
34.78%
Antenna
27.37%
Window regulator
18.67%
Motor mounts
15.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 782. You may not vote on this poll

Problems with your ES?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-05, 03:47 PM
OceanView
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I wanted to add, that my squeeky steering wheel still makes people laugh when they here it for the first time.
Old 07-25-05, 05:33 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OceanView
I wanted to add, that my squeeky steering wheel still makes people laugh when they here it for the first time.
What the hell is up with this? I thought it only did this in cold weather but I guess I was wrong (93 the other day when this happened to me) Anyone have a fix for this?
The other day a friend of mine who was taking a ride with me noticed that the volume goes up and down slightly when listening to the radio. This also happens when listening to a c.d. anyone else ever have this problem? If so what is the solution?
Old 07-25-05, 09:27 AM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by superpats
What the hell is up with this? I thought it only did this in cold weather but I guess I was wrong (93 the other day when this happened to me) Anyone have a fix for this?
Domenic, I found the solution the other day

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=18
Old 07-25-05, 09:49 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Doug, Is the rubber boot by the floor where teh pedals are? Also do you know what they used for lube?
Old 07-25-05, 06:26 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superpats
Hey Doug, Is the rubber boot by the floor where teh pedals are? Also do you know what they used for lube?
I'm not exactly sure where the rubber boot is, but if you go on http://www.newlexusparts.com and navigate to the steering system of the ES, I'm sure you'll be able to find its specific location. As for the lubrication, I too am not sure of the shop chemical used, but it's gotta be 10X better than WD-40
Old 07-27-05, 06:28 AM
superpats
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexusk8
I'm not exactly sure where the rubber boot is, but if you go on http://www.newlexusparts.com and navigate to the steering system of the ES, I'm sure you'll be able to find its specific location.
Not seeing it . I do love that website though.
Old 09-25-05, 06:11 PM
Dandybug
Driver School Candidate

I just purchased a 99 ES 300 black/black coach ed. with 88k miles on it, one previous owner who did perform both the 30 and 60k services on it (I am unsure about other service b/c I bought it from a dealership). It looks like it is in very good condition but this thread is making me nervous- how common are these problems? i see the reply's and it seems as if everyone has had a problem at some point, should I have gotten a different vehicle?
Old 09-25-05, 08:13 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dandybug
I just purchased a 99 ES 300 black/black coach ed. with 88k miles on it, one previous owner who did perform both the 30 and 60k services on it (I am unsure about other service b/c I bought it from a dealership). It looks like it is in very good condition but this thread is making me nervous- how common are these problems? i see the reply's and it seems as if everyone has had a problem at some point, should I have gotten a different vehicle?
This thread was not created with the intent to scare off those who just recently purchase an ES. We are basically listing some of the major/minor problems we've had with the car, as we all concurrently know that not all cars are made to be perfect machines, and the ES300/330 is certainly one of those cars. But based on the entry-level luxury market, it's classified as one of the best and most reliable in that field with the least amount of problems

BTW, welcome to CL Dandybug!
Old 09-25-05, 08:48 PM
Dandybug
Driver School Candidate

Thank you!
I am excited about getting the car on Friday (it was brought to Seattle by truck from California and needs a new bumper due to an accident getting on the truck)... so in the meantime I have been trying to read up on it...I had a 5spd maxima that was totalled and initially was looking for a maxima but was having little luck then I found this car and it was meant to be!
Old 09-25-05, 10:42 PM
juan01
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you!
I am excited about getting the car on Friday (it was brought to Seattle by truck from California and needs a new bumper due to an accident getting on the truck)... so in the meantime I have been trying to read up on it...I had a 5spd maxima that was totalled and initially was looking for a maxima but was having little luck then I found this car and it was meant to be!
My 96 ES has just about 86,500 miles. It's going into the shop again this Friday for "sticky calipers", this is the second time this happened. The first time around I bought used calipers from CL member aliga and new Brembo blank rotors and the problem was fixed. It was a DIY job. But now it's happening again (same symptoms) so I'm bringing it to the dealer to check it out.

Also, my tranny is shifting hard... it takes long to go into gear when I first start it up in the morning. The tranny fluid was changed last December 04. Not sure what it is yet, the dealer is going to check on that.

Hope all goes well.
Old 09-26-05, 05:33 AM
yESman
Lead Lap

I've had two ES cars 1997 and 2004 and I have not had any major problems at all. On my recent one a rear window shade failed but they fixed it right away with terrific service and a smile.
Old 09-26-05, 09:45 AM
ari07
Rookie

I have a 97 ES300. Over 140K now. Never had any problems except a couple of the lights went out on my climate control. Easily fixed.
Old 09-26-05, 05:48 PM
Dandybug
Driver School Candidate

awesome- i like the "no problem" cars- hopefully that is what i am getting!
Old 09-27-05, 08:28 PM
lexusk8
Lexus Fanatic

awesome- i like the "no problem" cars- hopefully that is what i am getting!
And just to put the icing on the cake, here's a briefer about my "no problem" '01 ES :

- Currently has 115,400 miles, and my daily driver (to school, 7 miles each way). I fill with 87 Octane fuel (I see no difference than filling up with the premium kind, but let's not get into that issue). I help maintain the fuel tank and injectors by giving the car some Techron fuel injector cleaner 2 times a year. I keep my car clean and detailed once every 2 weeks, and I do it myself as I have all the necessary supplies (from Meguiar's, Eagle One, P21S, etc.) I also do my own oil changes (with 10W-30 Mobil One full synthetic). I follow the recommended maintenance schedule from my owner's manual (soon I'll be due for a coolant and differential fluid change). My ES literally has no problems whatsoever; it's so beyond excellent condition, even my neighbors and friends can't believe it's just a 2001 vehicle
Old 09-29-05, 09:20 AM
Dandybug
Driver School Candidate

How long does it take to detail your car? Do you wax it each time and clean the leather and interior or just the exterior?
I get my car tomorrow!!

Quick Reply: Problems with your ES?