Drag Strip Discussion about Lexus straight line racing on the 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile and top speed flats.

Taking my IS-F to the dragstrip tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-08, 08:31 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Your reaction time has nothing to do with your ET. You could sit on the line for a minute and then hit the gas and it will say your reaction time is 60 seconds and your ET is still 13.3@107. In order to get your car Sub 13 seconds on that track in simiar conditions, you will need to hit sub 1.8 in 60' time. Not possible without drag radials.

How does any of that not relate? If the clock starts when the light turns green, how is not having a good R/T going to affect my times? If I do have a good R/T but then spin tires, that will obviously affect my 60' time. Maybe I just don't understand your comments. Seems like everything is related pretty obviously.

It is possible, my last launch was great and would've been in the 12's no doubt about it, IMO. (didn't register BTW)

I think having 13.3-13.4 times with a ton of wheelspin and/or mediocre launches should prove that enough. I understand I need the numbers and proof to back it up. I agree with you there. But I'll work on it. If there is something I am missing here with these timing issues, please feel free to learn me something, cuz im new at this drag racing thing. Thanks
Old 04-15-08, 08:42 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Basically reation time starts when the green light hits and your 60' and your ET clock starts when you cross the line. So next time you go to the track, Do this. When the green light hits count 10 seconds on your head and hit the gas on one run and on another run hit the gas as soon as you see the green lights. You your RT on first one will be somewhere around 10 seconds and on the second run it will be under one second - hopefully. Your 60' time and your ET won't change too much either way. Your ET certainly won't be 23.xx@107 and your 60' won't be 11.xx either
Originally Posted by DRE1615
How does any of that not relate? If the clock starts when the light turns green, how is not having a good R/T going to affect my times? If I do have a good R/T but then spin tires, that will obviously affect my 60' time. Maybe I just don't understand your comments. Seems like everything is related pretty obviously.

It is possible, my last launch was great and would've been in the 12's no doubt about it, IMO. (didn't register BTW)

I think having 13.3-13.4 times with a ton of wheelspin and/or mediocre launches should prove that enough. I understand I need the numbers and proof to back it up. I agree with you there. But I'll work on it. If there is something I am missing here with these timing issues, please feel free to learn me something, cuz im new at this drag racing thing. Thanks
Old 04-15-08, 08:46 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
Basically reation time starts when the green light hits and your 60' and your ET clock starts when you cross the line. So next time you go to the track, Do this. When the green light hits count 10 seconds on your head and hit the gas on one run and on another run hit the gas as soon as you see the green lights. You your RT on first one will be somewhere around 10 seconds and on the second run it will be under one second - hopefully. Your 60' time and your ET won't change too much either way. Your ET certainly won't be 23.xx@107 and your 60' won't be 11.xx either

I was under the impression the ET clock started when the green hit. Thanks for the lesson.

Only thing that still boggles my mind is if the R/T doesn't affect the final ET, why would they even log it or make it have any importance? Is this just for ****s and giggles?
Old 04-15-08, 08:51 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RT would matter IF you were racing for real. But yeah for street night, RT is basically for $h!ts and giggles

Originally Posted by DRE1615
I was under the impression the ET clock started when the green hit. Thanks for the lesson.

Only thing that still boggles my mind is if the R/T doesn't affect the final ET, why would they even log it or make it have any importance? Is this just for ****s and giggles?
s
Old 04-15-08, 09:47 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Woot woot! I'm not the slowest anymore! BTW, which track was that at? What were the conditions? The condition (temp, humidity, altitude) has quite a bit of effect on HP of your car. I noticed your trap is the slowest of all the IS-Fs so you probably had the worst DA.
Old 04-16-08, 12:10 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

It was at Oreilly's Raceway Park down near Indianapolis, IN. They were having a street legal's event. So basically anything street legal could run. Temps started at around 63 degrees and cooled off throughout the night. I don't know the altitude, or humidity that night. Sorry for the lack of info. One thing I can give you is a list of some other cars and times from that night. In order from my most favorite down:

1)C6 Z06 w/a Naturally Apsirated Lingenfelter package pushing 630 hp. He was pulling 11.7 and spinning the tires at 120. The guy said it was scary to drive the car, but it was so pretty.

2)SL65 AMG V12 Biturbo w/606 hp. ran 12.03

3) Evo X - 13.79 @ 99 mph

4) Somewhat heavily modded STI's running - 12.6 to 12.8

I went up against a cobra myself, and took care of business. Other than that, lots of mustangs, some vettes, viper gts, bunch of motorcycles(hyabusas etc...). I'll be going back again probably sometime so I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-16-08, 11:12 AM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

I just ran a DA check for you DRE1615 along with other weather variables and I must say I'm not sure what to say. Basically your DA was a descent 506ft which is almost identical to Toothdocs DA. His 3mph faster trap tells a lot power wise. What is even stranger is that you had a tailwind of 11mph. So either you had a full tank of gas and lots of extra weight in the car, track runs uphill, or you just don't have the pedal to the metal.

Keep on trying..you don't want to be known as having the slowest IS-F because I think Toothdoc wants that title back. haha j/k.
Old 04-16-08, 03:32 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

I dunno bout the altitude and such, but the track was very slick. And tailwind, serious?? Just bad launches that's all guys. I'm going back Tuesday and I am promising a 12 sec run with a good launch. I had a half talk of gas and I was sandbagging.Let me be honest. Maybe the track was uphill. I'll keeep you guys up to date. I'm worried bout my tires. They are expensive and I don't want to burn them out.

Cant wait to give Toothdoc his title back!!!!
Old 04-16-08, 06:47 PM
Lextasy89
Lexus Test Driver

a quick wheel spin before the race wont hurt .. just need to heat them up a bit for traction! pull a 12 and make us proud!
Old 04-16-08, 07:09 PM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

I'm heading down next Tuesday with my buddy with the M3 coupe hopefully. I'll get some legit runs against the M3. Should have some pics/vids hopeully and some 12 second time slips more importantly. I'll be sure to post the results.
Old 04-19-08, 11:33 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

DRE, 107 traps won't get you in the 12's. Maybe with a 1.8 60ft. But that's close to impossible on a stock tire.
I heard every .1 off your 60' = .2 off your 1/4.

107 traps are pretty weak for an IS-F. Wish there was someway you guys can log timing during your runs. Maybe some cheap scanner with a recordable data list and compare timing ramps.
Old 04-20-08, 07:47 AM
DRE1615
Lexus Test Driver

I agree I was a little disappointed myself. You have to take into consideration a ton of wheelspin as well. I'm not gonna get worried yet. I'm really starting to get my launch down and hopefully that will give me some better times.

I'll keep you posted
Old 04-20-08, 01:31 PM
oblivionis
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive

Keep on trying..you don't want to be known as having the slowest IS-F because I think Toothdoc wants that title back. haha j/k.
Ha ha ha.... Toothdoc, are you gonna take that?
Old 04-21-08, 09:11 PM
PALELLA
Driver School Candidate

Let me know if you'd like to do some runs against my E92 M3 some time. We could get some nice video footage out of it.
Old 04-21-08, 09:41 PM
ToothDoc
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oblivionis
Ha ha ha.... Toothdoc, are you gonna take that?
LOL HELL NO! I'm not gonna stop until I break the record for IS-F. SO, I've got my sights on 12.7 for now... (that's a LOT quicker than my lowly 13.2)

Palella: I'm going to *TRY* to make it Thursday evening around 7ish pm. Call me to verify - you got PM.

BTW anybody know what the heck sticky night is at GLD? Does "STICKY" night mean more VHT and traction?

Quick Reply: Taking my IS-F to the dragstrip tomorrow.