Drag Strip Discussion about Lexus straight line racing on the 1/4 mile, 1/8 mile and top speed flats.

Went to Dragstrip - curiosity got the best of me!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-04, 04:03 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Went to Dragstrip - curiosity got the best of me!!

Yes, it's true, I took the Lex to the dragstrip. It's in my blood, I couldn't keep away any longer! Not to mention that I was just darned curious what it would run. Future upgrades need a baseline ya know!

So, the car is basically stock, has 91,000 miles on it......99 GS400.
Stock mufflers replaced with the HKS Hi-Power and air filter was removed for the runs.

I *thought* I had read a Motor Trend article online that said the car was good for 14.2 or 14.3 at 98mph.

So, I go to the track thinking I can get in that area.......

I got 4 runs in. On 2, I tried using the torque converter stall to my advantage and had the rpms up a little on the launch, on the other 2 runs, I just nailed the gas.

The runs were all close, the best one was:

60' - 2.251
330' - 6.310
1/8th- 9.567@75.75
1/4 - 14.72@95.94

The mph doesn't seem too bad as the weather completed S%^#$%. It was about 85 degrees, 85% humidity and a storm front was right next to us, ie......Barometer was in the basement.

The ET seems like it should have been more around the 14.4 range. Not sure why it wasn't better. My tranny has never shifted very firm.

How does your tranny shift under full throttle?
Old 06-18-04, 05:05 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say a car with 91,000 miles on it, That was very decent quarter mile for that type of weather.
Old 06-18-04, 06:33 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not bad. Best I could do 100% stock was a 14.8/14.9 over at Sac Raceway.
Old 06-18-04, 10:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

BA_GS400 - that's a good result, especially since it was so hot and humid! It's not a light car either.

With my 3.76 LSD Supra rear end I could probably beat that (my guess), but I don't know for sure.

Did you have much wheel spin?
Old 06-18-04, 10:13 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

pretty much no wheelspin at all. Had Power mode on and VSC off.

the track has always had excellent traction.....

so I take it that the ol GS400's don't turn low 14's when stock, eh?

Last edited by BA_GS400; 06-18-04 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-18-04, 10:54 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by BA_GS400
pretty much no wheelspin at all. Had Power mode on and VSC off.

the track has always had excellent traction.....

so I take it that the ol GS400's don't turn low 14's when stock, eh?
Well, that all depends.... how much gas did you have in the car when you did your passes? Was your motor running hot when you did your runs? Did you give it a chance to cool down? Did you leave your spare tire in the trunk and other "stuff"? When was the last time you had a tune up...

Again, after looking at your #'s, they seem decent and I bet if you went another day when it was about 65 deg in less humid weather, your time would be around 14.3-14.4. Just remember there are many factors that can hurt or improve your times so don't worry about it.
Old 06-20-04, 08:50 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Well, now the fun begins! You have a baseline to beat for the next time you go. Make sure to bring some buddies to race, because the times are relative to a good degree. Does not matter what your time was as long as you beat the next guy.
Old 06-20-04, 11:00 PM
LexFather

Moved here for more responses.
Old 06-20-04, 11:46 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by redgs4
Does not matter what your time was as long as you beat the next guy.
You are still aiming for that huh? LOL!
Old 06-21-04, 10:43 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
You are still aiming for that huh? LOL!
LOL

I think the next time we race it will be much different.

If ya know what I'm talking about !

The fact that BA_GS400 had little or no wheel spin is interesting. It could indicate that his track does indeed have very good bite, despite the high temperatures.

In NorCal we've run for two summers now and at our slippery track, I cannot brake launch any higher than1200rpm. Even at that launch rpm I can still spin the tires if I throttle up too quickly. Remember both Redgs4 and I have LSD, TC, Intake, Exhaust and more. This explains our inability to go much better than 14.3, but then time doesn't matter, I beat red every time so far. That's what counts.

At the same track a new C5 vette did around 13.3 when the magazines report it does high 12's.

Be glad with your E.T. What ET you get and what the magazines report are often two different things. Just throw in a couple of tenths for the car's high milage and call it a day.

I believe MeanGene reported launching rpms towards 2200-2500 rpm (remember this is for LSD equipped cars). His best runs were in the neighborhood of 13.6-13.8 (as I can remember)

BA_GS400, did you brake launch, and if so at what rpm?

redgs4, were gonna have to try running at Infineon Raceway next time. Sea level, cool air, concrete strip = no excuses.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 06-21-04 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-21-04, 04:19 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Oh, the ego of this guy. I can only hope that your higher gearing continues to make up for that extra weight your carrying around. And I'm not even talking about the car, yet.

Ok, Infineon next time. And they sell race gas at the track.

Originally posted by RMMGS4
LOL

I think the next time we race it will be much different.

If ya know what I'm talking about !

In NorCal we've run for two summers now and at our slippery track, I cannot brake launch any higher than1200rpm. Even at that launch rpm I can still spin the tires if I throttle up too quickly. Remember both Redgs4 and I have LSD, TC, Intake, Exhaust and more. This explains our inability to go much better than 14.3, but then time doesn't matter, I beat red every time so far. That's what counts.

At the same track a new C5 vette did around 13.3 when the magazines report it does high 12's.

redgs4, were gonna have to try running at Infineon Raceway next time. Sea level, cool air, concrete strip = no excuses.
Old 06-21-04, 05:41 PM
Epik
Lexus Champion

Nice to hear some of the Gs400's hve been on the track and arent just show queens.. j/k

Have any 1st Gen GS300 owners taken their cars to the track? i have and thru a few simple mods made VERY noticable improvements.

Sorry to Hi-Jack if this is a GS4 thread.. but I figured I'd ask..

Jeff
Old 06-21-04, 08:06 PM
BA_GS400
Lexus Test Driver

LXOGOOD: Good questions. I did take out the spare rim/tire and most all of the junk. I also purposefully only had about 2-3 gallons of gas in the car. I like to plan ahead for the big day.

As for launch RPM, I had 4 runs, 2 of them I launched against the convertor, and 2 of them I just stabbed the gas.
The two runs where I stalled the convertor were the better runs, just slightly.

I foolishly didn't glance at the tach. I was afraid of stalling TOO much and making the darn tire spin before the light went green!! That would have been embarrassing!
I would guess that my stall was around 1800-2000, but that's just a guess.

Oh yeah, to brag a little and give you an indication of the traction,
I own a Kawasaki ZX-12R with a stock wheelbase and stock
tire, no wheelie bar, and it runs 9.3x at 149mph. That's in daily driven trim. Traction is rarely a problem. .

Last edited by BA_GS400; 06-21-04 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-21-04, 08:46 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[grandpa's voice]back in the day when i had a GS4[/grandpa's voice] the best i ran was a 14.6x at around 97 or so. if you look around for the folks who have actually made passes, that is around the norm. i swear i dont know how these mags got real low 14's and even a 13.9 out of the GS. practice your launches and see what that nets you. btw here are a couple of vids of me at the track. and yeah i lost to the modded CL-S........

Video 1

Video 2

Doc
Old 06-22-04, 12:16 PM
klynchgs4
Driver

best i ever did (before the supercharger) with just srt intake, t/c and nitto drag radials was 14.5 @ 96 - my 60' was 2.19. this was at a sea level track in carlsbad, ca. some guys on the board claim to have done better. please don't get me wrong, i'm not throwing up a bs flag at any of them, but i have never seen a gs4xx without a turbo, s/c, or nitrous run better than 14.5 in southern california.

Quick Reply: Went to Dragstrip - curiosity got the best of me!!