Nikon Coolpix P1000 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

Nikon Coolpix P1000

Old 02-21-19, 03:05 PM
gregorTT
Driver School Candidate

Default Nikon Coolpix P1000

Wondering if anyone is shooting with this camera? I am thinking about picking one up for a trip to Portugal/Spain later this year as I thought it would be better than lugging around a DSLR and 2 or 3 fast lenses. My hobby is bird photography, so thought maybe the big zoom would be nice after the trip too. If anyone has any experience with either the P1000 or P900, I'd appreciate your feedback (and maybe a look at a shot or two!)

Thanks!
Old 03-06-19, 03:54 PM
gregorTT
Driver School Candidate

Well, went ahead and purchased the P1000 despite the mixed reviews I've read online. Haven't really gotten to play too much yet, just one quick outing. But, I think it will fill the niche it was purchased for just fine. That said, certainly cannot use anywhere close to max zoom sans tripod - simply too much movement despite the very good (my opinion) image stabilization. Here are a couple photos from my outing, in-camera processed with minor cropping. I imagine someone with better post-processing skill than I could get better results from the RAW files than these camera-produced JPEGs.

Last edited by gregorTT; 03-06-19 at 04:05 PM. Reason: numbered photos
Old 03-08-19, 12:56 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Looks pretty good! 3000mm is a hard handhold unless one is a stone statue. Do you feel the camera will be fast enough to AF birds? The tourist shots this one will be good.
Old 03-08-19, 06:46 PM
gregorTT
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
Looks pretty good! 3000mm is a hard handhold unless one is a stone statue. Do you feel the camera will be fast enough to AF birds? The tourist shots this one will be good.
Nowhere near fast enough for birds in flight. The lens goes from f2.8 at 24mm to f8 at 3000mm, so, in bright light AF should be good on stationary objects at distance. but lower light and or moving subjects will be a challenge, i think. Plus at 3000mm, that's alot of air between the camera and subject, so dust and moisture will be an issue. Still, for a travel camera, i think it'll be good. I will have to stick with a dslr and long lens for birding....
Old 03-11-19, 01:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

That's the ongoing challenge. A good camera for the task that ticks the boxes we like. I seem to have similar finding a downsized camera that ticks the right boxes. One of my buddy's tends to buy a new P&S or two for his annual travels. Takes his 5D-IV and the P&S for the casual people interactions. He's not found one to hold onto yet and comes back to the SLR.

What areas of Portugal/Spain are on the itinerary?
Old 03-11-19, 04:26 PM
gregorTT
Driver School Candidate

It is quite the dilemma -- I shoot with a Nikon D7000 and/or IR converted D80 for my "fun" cameras...but those with lenses proves to be a pain to lug around on trips. So, I've have bought a P&S or two over the years for various reasons. Once I was convinced I "needed" an underwater camera, so I picked up a fun little Nikon Coolpix waterproof camera. Well, after taking a shot or two of leaves floating in puddles and a selfie or two of my wife and I enjoying a glass of wine in the hot tub, that novelty wore off. While it takes decent photos out of the water too, it doesn't provide any reach, and I enjoy taking photos of things at some distance. So, enter the P1000...The next piece of gear I'll likely need is a trailer to haul all these cameras around! In any event, we are heading to Lisbon then Porto in Portugal, and from there cruising up the Douro river through the Portugal's port region to Salamanca, Spain. Hoping for some clear, sunny days as I'm finding with the P1000, harsher light isn't such a bad thing. Cheers!
Old 03-15-19, 12:08 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Was looking at some of the bridge cameras and the costs are up there. Works well for an all-in-one solution though at the long end, they become pretty slow. Most mine are well covered at the 100mm range so I'm pretty easy to please. Interchangeable lens cameras like the APS-C mirrorless sizes have a good offering at various price points. If one adapts their glass then this allows additional freedoms and the APS-C crop helps. A spell back I thought of the Canon 7D-II with a 300mm would be nice for getting pics of the kids jr. golf tournaments. The flappy shutter was a problem though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: