Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

Canon Eos RP and new lenses

Old 02-16-19, 06:19 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Canon Eos RP and new lenses

Good stuff!

Canon popped out another FF mirrorless, and this baby is going for $1300.
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/15...e-canon-eos-rp

Here's a size comparison:
https://www.canonrumors.co/size-comp...i-vs-nikon-z6/

Seems to mirrorless FF is going ahead full speed.
There were new lenses announced, too, coming end of 2019.
70-200 f2.8
24-70 f2.8
15-35 f2.8
85 f1.2
24-240 f4-6.3
https://www.dpreview.com/articles/70...lens-slideshow

Now combined with the high end already released for the R series I would not be surprised there will be a high end R body rather soon - maybe to be announced with the launch of those lenses?
It leaves the system lacking in medium price level lenses for now, however.
Still, 9 RF new lenses within a bit over a year shows what Canon is capable of, and it shows that once they start doing the more affordable lenses they can do it quickly, too.
Plus they seem fully committed. Wonder if there will be any new non-R lenses this year....probably not? Which would be a sign...

Nikon is moving slower, as usual, nothing new there. Still, I like there initial lens set much better, much more suitable for a broader range of users. Looking at the lens set there will within two years:
24-70 f4
35 f1.8
50 f1.8
20 f1.8
85 f1.8
14-30 f4
58 f0.95
24-70 f2.8
70-200 f2.8
50 f1.2
24 f1.8
14-24 f2.8
plus 3 empty slots for 2020 (and another 8 for 2021)

Nikon sure is working on a pro body, too.
What would more interesting, however, would be the launching of the digital version of the D600 series, that FF in a similar price level than this new Canon RP. The D610 is from 2013, btw.

Sony so far has just sold previous models at cheaper prices, I wonder if in the future they will go over to offering different model lines as well.
Overall I would say great news - and with prices for bodies coming down fast the pressure on APS-C certainly is on.

The problem for APS-C or 4/3 is:
- the size/portability advantage is getting smaller
- the 'engine' is smaller
The main advantage remains price, and that is getting under pressure to (and will likely continue so in the future).

Old 02-17-19, 12:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Waiting to see what becomes. The RF line is getting a good start with a range of glass. My spot is when they have the body with 2 card slots. If the initial R had that, I'd probably have made the move. The person I had spoken with at the Canon Experience Center was pretty excited over the new R bodies that were coming. We talked about the pro level R rumored specs. I'm also hoping for an M5/6 MkII release soon. I do like the Canon M line but Canon has not really provided any movement in the native lenses rather to adapt the EF. I've sold some of my lesser used Canon glass so I'm at a minimal point for a transition if that's the decision.

Fuji's recent X-T3 release has reduced prices so a new kitted out X-T2 as I would configure a system is coming in at ~$2.500. I've given more thought to the X-H1 body that has IBIS. The weight of the Fuji rig is not any savings though. A tiny bit smaller but almost negligible. I've grown tired of the full sized SLR in phases and right now is one of them. The Fuji X-T20/30 or Pro 2 as a secondary rig is also appealing.
Old 02-18-19, 07:00 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the idea of having one smaller system, it could pretty much do away with the need for a secondary rig.
A secondary rig would have to be substantially smaller, which is less and less the case.

The 'lack' of top features is no concern to me. I shoot stills, with the occasional short clip for fun. I certainly don't need any of those fancy video capabilities. AF, I can do without eye tracking and full super auto all over the frame modes, I manage well with the few points of my old D3 (and never used that one on any auto modes). Never used the full burst rate either, 5fps did the job plenty for me.
I do like the vertical grip, however.

In this sense any of those new FF mirrorless would do the job (apart from Sony, I dished out good money for the original RX100 and it went bonkers a few weeks after warranty, most expensive camera I ever had considering I could use it only for one year. A camera from Sony? Never again).

I wonder if there are any plans to use those new lens mounts to design ultra-compact cameras combined with collapsible/pancake lens designs. JUst a range-finder style slab, with a smaller viewfinder, maybe along the lines of the Fuji XE-3. As small as possible. Then design a few pancakes and a collapsible zoom for it. All with the same lens mount as the other mirrorless bodies of the same company.
Old 04-26-19, 10:30 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Been considering this as a casual rig fitted with a 28 or 35mm this would do the bulk of the casual shots. I can see a transition into their mirrorless line IF they are similar to the rumors of the model above the R. The price is certainly tempting.

edit The R has a instant rebate/sale so is now priced at $1999 with the EF adapter. Tempting.

Last edited by RA40; 04-29-19 at 10:22 AM. Reason: additional

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: