Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

raw files...

Old 01-24-19, 09:34 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default raw files...

... have concluded what they're really good for is rescuing crappy photos.

discuss...
Old 01-25-19, 06:15 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Could be and OTOH the fine tuning can yield a nicer result from an already nice exposure. The JPG from the 5D are quite nice and I've had images from P&S cameras that have been remarkably good too. If I want to get a bit less highlight or shadow, the JPG can be challenging to work with. With natural light, those just right moments don't time with many instances.
Old 01-26-19, 11:12 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nah, if it's really bad it won't turn into a great shot because of RAW editing.
You need a good shot to begin with.

I would say RAW shines when you've to get ultimate performance out of your image, for whatever reason.
In body JPEG engines, while looking good at first glance, do substantially alter the image quality.

That's my very own conclusion, after observing detail changes.
For example when I first bought my Nikon D3 I used some settings favoured by Ken Rockwell. I'm glad I shot in RAW as his 'vivid' settings with saturation and contrast boosted up kills a lot of detail in the shade.
Landscape does the same.
Neutral and Protrait setting are great sharpness killers.
Standard with a boost to saturation works best for me. It pops up the colours, but doesn't affect detail in the shades, and has no negative effect on sharpness.
And this makes a huge difference in my experience.

On top of that I prefer to do my own Noise Reduction, in camera and JPEG is horrible in my opinion.
Different levels of noise in different lightness/detail areas need different values for best results.
If you got a blue sky and foliage for example, an NR applied to the entire image will soften the detail of the foliage if effective enough to take out noise in the sky.
I haven't found anything automated doing this precess for me so far.
Of course the more you are working on the edge of the capabilities of your camera the more this shows - my little 1inch Nikon J5 shows that way more as even at ISO 200 you need a slight NR for a blue sky for example. Still valid for other cameras however, just the limits are set higher.

Sort of ridiculous to shoot JPEG with $2000+ cameras and lenses and then let the camera auto application swipe detail all over the image.
Old 01-27-19, 11:19 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

I can agree with that.

I'd shot RAW and JPG for a trial of which I would prefer, processed the RAW and JPG as it was. Among 100 or so shots, I selected the JPG in about 15% of the cull due to it being close enough that I don't have to spend 3-7 minutes messing with it. In a day when people are happy with the cell phone results or "good enough" That is where I feel JPG comes in.

May try this on a product set to see how it does.
Old 01-27-19, 08:14 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by tools4fool View Post
Sort of ridiculous to shoot JPEG with $2000+ cameras and lenses and then let the camera auto application swipe detail all over the image.
whatever floats your boat. the times i've worked with raw i've just found no benefit, just wasted time. i also find lightroom to be a horrible program. i have no issue with noise or color in jpegs from my 5DMkIV. a little fill light fix or minor white balance adjustment, that's it.

heck even a hard shot like that blood moon the other night came out similar to many other 'professional' shots i saw posted, although some had way more zoom than me of course.

when 99% of shots are just used to post on the internet anyway, any advantages from raw are lost unless recovering detail in a horribly exposed shot.
Old 01-27-19, 08:45 PM
LexsCTJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
... have concluded what they're really good for is rescuing crappy photos.

discuss...
Each time you edit a JPEG, they get smaller. RAW you can modify quite a bit of stuff. For the most part, RAW is over kill.
Old 02-02-19, 01:37 AM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i also find lightroom to be a horrible program.
Same here, agree 100%.

when 99% of shots are just used to post on the internet anyway, any advantages from raw are lost
Agree, too. As are the advantages of a 25MP $2000 cameras with fancy 1.4 lenses and posh 2.8 zooms.

In my opinion raw editing makes only sense if you work on the edge of your camera performance, and fine tune your images in terms of warmth/white balance, saturation, contrast, and colour balance, be it over the entire image or just locally, and want to do this for highest possible quality and use.

Plus it gives you the possibility to go back and start all over again, which proved to be an advantage in my case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: