Practice day-rum - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

Practice day-rum

Old 10-22-18, 09:54 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Default Practice day-rum

A project that I came back to it today. (Now that I have 'ice cubes'.) Was an interesting session moving lights around to get the effect. Could have duplicated the prior set but wanted to try a different approach with the 30x40" softbox and one speedlite. Some more refinement to do.

Old 10-28-18, 07:28 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Ah, now that's the right kind of glass! Good set up, but no Rum (...or tea) in the glass?
Alternatively you could backlight the bottle?
Old 10-29-18, 03:12 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Excellent thought! One of the situations I've come into is the back label on many fermented beverages. Have had to peel them off to get light through the backside. This particular rum distiller uses an adhesive that does allow the label to be peeled off without damaging it. I have another set in mind that I'll do a backlight. I don't like the reflection the softbox has on the front in this position. Been wanting to use two strip boxes, can't use what I don't have though.

Have to find a tea that isn't cloudy or with sugar, that has been a challenge. Tejava works well just a bit $ relative to what I'd like to buy in jugs so that it can be tossed following. May try some of the budget bag tea and see if I can get the color desired.

Bought a variety of glasses to have for these shoots too.
Old 10-29-18, 07:51 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

One more thing, maybe it's a bit nit picking, but when thinking of 'on the rocks' I see a glass with some ice a third full, maybe half full at the most.
Something like this:
https://photodune.net/item/glass-of-...rocks/20548718

Your cubes seem to be bigger, you would have to fill it two thirds - or use just two cubes - to have it look good.
Maybe smaller cubes would be better? But then maybe you guys like triple shot servings...
Old 10-29-18, 09:49 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

I agree that the size is largish, I want the shots to look right. Appreciate your comments. The shop shows they have smaller diameter rod available, will have to call and verify.
Old 11-03-18, 12:45 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

A test set. The black oolong tea works though once poured it loses the depth of color relative to being in the bottle. Will adjust the ratio so that there is more 'presence' in the glass. Apple juice is a pretty close alternate. Somewhat satisfied, refinements needed.

The smaller diameter rod arrived yesterday so will work on those ice cubes next week.

Old 11-09-18, 07:02 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Looks like the real thing!

Fill level is all right, the glass at the back shows the size problem as the uppermost cube sits "in the dry".
Think should be perfect with the smaller cubes, looking forward to the pics!
Old 11-10-18, 10:29 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Getting there, this was the final and the set used. Appreciate your comments.

Old 11-23-18, 07:18 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Glass and cubes look good now, however not so sure about the composition. There's something odd there. Maybe it's the glass in the front being too centered? Plus the one in the back cutting in over the top of the one in front?
Hard to say what it is, but there's something about it...

Old 11-24-18, 07:03 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

I looked at other images online (goodies and not-so-goodies) to find out what caused it to look odd to me.

I think it's two things: For one the front glass gets dissected in the middle by the bottle and glass in the background. Combine that with the glass being rather centric in the image.
Secondly using the top down perspective and cropping tightly the bottle seems tiny, more like a flask.

Most pics online are straight from the front, easier to use DOF to separate background glasses, but here's one with a slightly elevated angle:
https://www.shutterstock.com/image-i...sses-175441934
As you see there are no lines cutting anything in half, it's roughly in the thirds - ahhh, the good ole' rule of thirds
If I mirror that image, turn the bottle slightly, up the viewpoint, and leave a bit more bottle around the label, I can see a variant of your composition.

And definitely no frozen molten ice cube in there...
Old 11-29-18, 10:11 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Good eye, appreciate the input. Reminded me of the tree or light post in car shots too. Practice-practice...

Been studying that shot too. The molten one is an Amazon cube. For it to have melted that much it would no have retained that much squareness for the water present. The ones in the glass look like a composite. The Amazon cubes I get 3-4 in an old fashioned glass. Two of my 1.5" ones fit. Three to four of the 1.25" ones and about 5-6 of the 1". (I have three sizes now from 1.5", 1.25" and 1" and some odd experiments.)

Amazon on left, 1" and 1.5"

1.25 ones

Shattered Amazon cubes

Shattered Amazon cubes in glass

Variant with the 1.5" cubes

Last edited by RA40; 11-29-18 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-30-18, 10:56 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

I like that last glass shot, looks real.
Funny how the broken Amazons look sort of odd as individuals, but inside the filled glass they are quite good!

The melting one is simply ridiculous - maybe honey flows that thickly at lower temperatures, but certainly not water.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: