Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

Some interesting points

Old 09-12-18, 07:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 117 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Some interesting points

I can understand where he's coming from. The haters manage to find and trash whatever it may be in a time with all the available tech to help us in the imaging world. For those that can implement the bleeding edge of tech, they will not be satisfied and want more. I could mange with the 5D-C as much as I could work with the 5D-IV and other cameras.

Old 09-14-18, 04:05 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 68 Likes on 59 Posts

i have no idea what he's blathering on about...
lots of name dropping though, of people, groups i've never heard of.
Old 09-14-18, 08:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Reading the photo forums I am under the impression that there are masses of users that are adept beyond the mortal levels with photo gear.
Old 09-14-18, 09:37 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lot's of fast talk, and he could look into the camera a bit more steadily, but he makes some very good points.

Very true, as soon there's new equip half of the user world cries '....but why the didn't do this...or that...look at that, why the heck did they do that...arrghhh...it's sooo bad'...
Plus the equip/platform is blamed for own failures to do something useful with it.

Of course the companies like to fuel that, create a need to buy the newest of the new equipment. The need is actually already there when something new is launched, by all the 'buts' immediately popping up as he correctly states.

Overall the user scene of advanced cameras has changed much since the film days in my opinion. Few people bothered to carry around SLR's (even if they were smaller than today...)
Today way more people do, and there seems to be a need to take pics of pet kitties, cheese cakes, and little Timmy crapping his pants for the first time at 20+ MP.
I'm very happy about that.
Because if it wouldn't be for all these people equipment would cost even more than it does and the choice sure would be much smaller.
Thank you, all!

And if it makes them happy taking those pictures or crying 'but', 'I want' and 'I need' on the internet then that's a good thing.

He compares it to the dude driving a Lambo in an environment, where he never gets out of third gear (...Bangkok.... ). True it's never used to its potential, but hey, who cares, the dude is happy, I enjoy seeing the beautiful machine once in a while, and if it makes folks happy to discuss it on the net (instead of driving it) so that's fine with me, too.
After all I'm part of it, too, I'm right here on the net!
I do think that I put my equip to good use, however, and hope that I'm a little less negative overall when it comes to new gear...

I enjoy my gear-head buddies as well (never mind if it is cameras or bicycles) and I'm certainly a bit the underdog there. They've got the whole f2.8 series and f1.2 goodies on sparkling new bodies, or several carbon fiber bikes with all the bells and whistles - I haven't. Doesn't stop me from riding little dirt roads in week long trips all over Thailand and enjoying photography along the way. And having a good chat and laugh with the gear-heads when we meet up. No probs.

As for the negative internet scene it's easy - just stay away from it. I used to post on a travel forum for a long time, but the interest there has changed from the original purpose - travel info - to the negative 'trasher' crowd. Finally said bye to that forum a few months ago. I occasionally pop in, have a look around, and am glad that I left.
Old 09-16-18, 03:27 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

i've never seen a more negative, thin-skinned, mostly trashing crowd than on photography forums.
and that's certainly nothing new. i used to be active on dpreview forums, but what a huge waste of time.
no matter how great something is there will be thousands trashing it, trolling, etc.
is it different than the distant (film) past? of course it is, things change faster, there's vastly more photographers, there's even more defensive people threatened by cell phones.
i thought the guy's video was utterly pointless (as in, not sure what point he had). but then, i didn't understand it.
Old 09-21-18, 10:23 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

i've never seen a more negative, thin-skinned, mostly trashing crowd than on photography forums.
Very true. It's all about 'my brand is so much better than yours', 'why on earth were they thinking when they...', and 'I want, I want, I want'.
I reality we got so much more choice, so much more capable cameras than in the film and early digital days. If you can't find anything that allows you to take the pics you want then it's rather user failure...
I remember once talking to a girl during a trip. She's was new into photography, had a body and one standard zoom, wanted a big-bad-*** zoom. She went through my pics and almost all the pics she really liked were taken on the super wide end. At the end of our conversation she said 'never mind, I wanna get that real big zoom'...
Similarly I told another friend, who wanted a long tele zoom on the cheap during the early digital days to snap pics of tribal folks in China, often overcast in that region that time of the year. Told him not to do so, not to waste his money as with such a zoom he wouldn't be able to do what he wanted unless on bright, clear sunny days. Some third party zoom $300 out to 300mm, something like f6.3 on the long end, no IS (would be of limited use anyway when shooting ppl) on a first generation Canon digital SLR (can't crank ISO much). He came back with tons of images; however I had a hard time finding even a handful that were not blurred or out of focus, even just seen full screen on the PC, not zoomed in.
The funniest of all however goes back to the early AF days. I met this dude in Malaysia, he just had bought a Nikon F90 with standard zoom, was brand new on the market. I still carried a F3 HP but already had a 80-200 AF 2.8, was on my way to Singpore where I would get an F4. Eager to try out the AF of my lens I offered him to try it on his D90. He was all worried about my lens damaging his camera, if it would be compatible or not. Finally he got his D90 out of a protected hard steel box thingy, additionally wrapped in purple velvet cloth inside there... The lens stayed on for maybe two or three minutes, then he took it off once more, might cause damage, you never know...
Old 09-23-18, 11:10 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

One of the take aways from his video is that it isn't the gear, the photographer makes the images. There are plenty of trolls that are active on the photo forums and their place is to develop the abilities to argue some point. Those types of forums are not enjoyable to read let alone participate. Last night I was reading through a photogrpaher's web page and he lists all his gear describing himself that he uses the most technological and best gear available. Profoto lights, what seemed like Nikon's full line of glass and he listed how many of each he has. All types out there. GAS really runs wild.
Old 09-26-18, 01:57 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Last month a dragged out some of the wood working tools to do a small project. Bought back in the 90's when they were made in USA. Some of the parts needed replacement so I went to the repair shop to source those needed parts. While there I looked at the newer releases of the successors. All made in China and of varying quality. Watched various YT videos because I was curious about the "improvements" of the recent tools. Looked at the Li-ion cordless saws that are now available. Haven't used the Mag 77 worm drive circular saw in a spell, cut a bunch of wood fence boards yesterday and it is a nice tool. No comparison to the recent stuff though.

Called the lab-supplier the other day and the sales guy was asking me if I wanted the Canon R set aside for me. Came across this video and I can understand his thoughts. Can skip to 4m-15s

Old 09-26-18, 03:52 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

can that circular saw still cut wood reliably? sure. does it require an electrical extension cord if a receptacle isn't really close? yes. so i chose not long ago to get a dewalt rechargeable battery circular saw. because sometimes i have to cut wood on my property at places that are hundreds of feet from any outlet. i will never use my 'trusty old but faithful' circular saw again.

Amazon Amazon

Old 09-26-18, 08:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

I can appreciate the cordless saw models, that was one I looked at. Fortunately most my tasks are within the confines of a wall receptacle. Same can be said for studio lights. Would be pretty challenging to always have to use a wall connected strobe for shots. Those big bulky battery packs also a chore to carry. The tech brings some useful conveniences. When it comes to the camera itself I had a discussion some hours back with the sales guy about the Canon R. He was saying this new body may brings some usefulness for what I shoot. Hmm...but this isn't in my timeline.

He was relaying to me about a fashion show shoot he did recently with a 5D-II and the low light focus wasn't very capable under the lighting conditions. For what I use the camera for, the fast tech isn't, hasn't been as big a factor. For some they can push that edge for more.
Old 09-27-18, 04:43 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
He was relaying to me about a fashion show shoot he did recently with a 5D-II and the low light focus wasn't very capable under the lighting conditions. For what I use the camera for, the fast tech isn't, hasn't been as big a factor. For some they can push that edge for more.
well since you have a (new awesome) 5DMkIV now his situation isn't very relevant.
Old 09-27-18, 10:38 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
well since you have a (new awesome) 5DMkIV now his situation isn't very relevant.
He shoots a variety of gear to challenge his adaptability in satisfying the client. He's capable regardless of the tech is the underlying aspect of what I've been mentioning.
Old 09-28-18, 08:58 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

He was relaying to me about a fashion show shoot he did recently with a 5D-II and the low light focus wasn't very capable under the lighting conditions.
But he was he able to get the shots anyway?
Is that MkII AF really that bad?

I mean I would feel totally confident using my old D3 in such an environment - is the 5D MkII so much worse?
Possible, both are about 10 yrs old, but D3 is for pros and had one of the best AF of the time. If it got dark it was however better to use the cross type sensors only, re-frame if needed. More 'work' required, smaller usable shots % maybe, but getting results still possible.
Usually the newer models do things better, however it doesn't mean automatically that the older ones weren't capable.

Personally I think there's a lot of hype and nit picking about all the 'improvements' from model to model. If you skip a few models, yes, some major changes, but one by one?

Looking at the z7 I think I will get:
- more pixels, allowing to crop some (you don't crop much on 12MP)
- better ISO by...one stop, maybe two? (3200-3600 was absolute max I would use on D3)
- EVF (live preview of what I shoot)
- Slightly better buffer (was an issue sometimes with RAW on D3)
- Better ergonomics due to programmable buttons
Everything else, AF, in body IS, etc, remains to be seen if it really makes a difference when shooting.

The only other major massive difference I saw was from old D type of lens designs to the newer G's - the old lens designs were vastly inferior in terms of sharpness, in particular in the corners.
Sometimes I'm astonished when some folks recommend old lenses on modern bodies, that backward compatibility is a bit overrated, there are few lenses from back then that still perform really well on +20MP bodies - even on my D3 it was already very prominent.
In particular the wide angles were so bad, even stopped down, that the 'outer 2-3mm' had to be cropped off.

Lens design has improved a lot and I'm looking forward to some new Nikon designs, with that larger lens mount for the same size sensor there are interesting [possibilities I think.
Probably very expensive interesting possibilities, so not for me...
Old 09-29-18, 10:50 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

He was able to do the shoot and the client was happy. The 5D-II af wasn't much of an improvement if any from the original 5D in focus capabilities. It will hunt in lower light conditions compared to what we have lately.

The gear progressions do bring some interesting usefulness, the capability to program button functions is a great aid for varying circumstances. I that regard the way we can interface with these systems will improve our ability-speed to adapt in changing scenarios. Fumbling through extensive menus or even scrolling for focus points after a multi button press will be streamlined. These user preferences have brought us a long way from the basics of film bodies.

Lenses have improved so there is that benefit to match with the MP increases. This is where I'm due too. Adds up to that wallet hurting feeling when thinking of these. Not quite at that point of ease to buy though so that does create a bit of gear envy. My slowness with the 24-70/2.8 mkII is that Canon went up to an 82mm filter. I have a substanitial use of ND and polarizer filters that would need to be updated for the size. That's another ~$500 to add into the lens purchase.
Old 09-30-18, 07:13 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

My slowness with the 24-70/2.8 mkII is that Canon went up to an 82mm filter.
Another reason to go F4. I prefer these days F4 zooms, lighter, smaller, cheaper, much more bang of the buck.
28mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 and 70-200 4.0 from Nikon are all 67mm filters. A reason more to get rid off my 70-200 2.8...
Hmmmm, not that sure yet...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: