Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless

Old 09-05-18, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Canon EOS R full frame mirrorless

Impressive!

Announcement
https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/5/17822310/canon-eos-r-full-r-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-announced

impressions
https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/9/5/17822556/canon-eos-r-camera-hands-on-preview-photos

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-05-18 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-05-18, 12:14 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

digging the multiple adapters they're bringing... one allows drop in filters, one is basic, one has extra control ring that the new RF lenses have. very cool.

Old 09-05-18, 12:23 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

great info page and comments here:

https://petapixel.com/2018/09/05/can...orless-camera/
Old 09-06-18, 10:25 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 116 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks Bit! Interesting camera. The crop factor not so much.

They took the wants of the M series in FF and brought desirable glass at the release. I wonder if this will signal that the M line will be like the Rebel level system and they will want to herd mid-line and advanced users into spending for this. We'll see.
Old 09-08-18, 10:17 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
Thanks Bit! Interesting camera. The crop factor not so much.
Crop's on 4k video, right?

Edit: I see now that yes, the 4k useas seriously cropped in portion of the sensor to avoid over heating according to Canon

Last edited by bitkahuna; 09-09-18 at 07:08 AM.
Old 09-09-18, 07:08 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Another review after more hands on

https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/08/canon-s-eos-r-full-frame-mirrorless-hands-on/
Old 09-11-18, 10:00 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

excellent detailed real world review...

Old 09-11-18, 12:42 PM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Lack of IBIS in the R is kind of disappointing
Old 09-11-18, 01:43 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

canon's never had it, have they? and since most of their lenses have it, i think they're not keen on adding it?
i'm not sure why IBIS is better than lens stabilization? obviously both would be amazing.
Old 09-13-18, 09:52 AM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Canon hasn't had it, but Nikon and Sony both have it in their mirrorless cameras. Seems like an odd omission given the competition
Old 09-13-18, 10:55 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

i don't agree because canon long ago decided IS should be in lenses, not camera bodies, so they'd be making redundant tech / cost if they switched to IBIS. nikon and sony can avoid having it in the lenses but i don't notice their lenses being cheaper.
plus, and i don't know this, it would seem having it in the lens you can make it work specific to the lens... maybe in body one has to have some compromises to work with all lenses?
Old 09-13-18, 01:37 PM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Lot of legacy lenses without IS though
Old 09-14-18, 08:41 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news, mirrorless sure has a future!
And since there is a beautiful, sexy, affordable $100 adapter I'm going to ditch all my Nikon glass and start all over again...errrr....or maybe not....

Few thoughts:
- It's good that there are several adapters to choose from as those $400 filter adapters is exactly what I would not want. That's what I consider expensive (and you still going to need filters for your new lenses).
- The rear ring sort of adapter sounds great at first and is price wise OK, however I'm not that sure about it's usefulness. The new lenses seem to have that clickable ring near the front of the lens and I think that's a good design.
At the back as on the adapter it will be difficult to reach, in particular with larger lenses and zoom lenses, where the hand is more in the middle part to support weight and move zoom ring. I never liked the aperture ring of my old Nikon lenses, as I always thought it screws your balance, is awkward to use off from the center of the lens, nver mind on a zoom lens. I was very happy when we got the front/rear dial system with the F5, what an improvement in handling. (I might still go for that adapter with the ring if with Canon, as it still is an OK price and ...hey...why not...? It's nice to have...)
- Lenses: Thank you Nikon My lens budget is usually rather around $1000 (preferably less) than $2000. In that sense there are 3 lenses to pick from with the new Nikon system right away, plus another 3 next year (and I sure have my eye on that 14-30 F4, even I expect it to be more around $1500). The f2.8 boys will have to wait until next year, never mind the 0.9 Noctifox No-Scratch Glass-shelf Collectors Item). Canon on the other hand starts out with two $2000-3000 lenses (ouchhh) and two reasonably priced lenses - but both not my interest, dun like those all in one wide/tele zooms (but see how it appeals, in particular if one wants to keep thing small and light as a one lens setup) and 35mm was never my range (much prefer 28) and have my doubts about it's usefulness as a 'macro' (do like the price however).

That said with an adapter there's no need to rush and buy lenses and I'm sure the Canon power house will churn out at least 4-5 lenses per year in the near future so before not long there will be a rather wide range of lenses to choose from. Rome wasn't build in a day, I never saw the need to have a 'complete' camera system at once. To me it's a developing thing, an endless learning progress, my usage has changed over time (and continues to do so) - and so do my requirements.

- In body stabilization. Stabilization is somewhat overrated to begin with in my opinion. It won't do any good to be able to shoot at 1/30 or slower if there's a need to freeze motion. For the real long exposures I still will need a tripod. That said there are situations where high ISO image quality (in particular) combined with image stabilization allow for photography which otherwise wouldn't be possible. And yes, I do leave the tripod home more often these days, as I can take a lot of images without it these days (compared to film and very early digital), but it's more about being able to crank up the ISO. In body stabilization is another 'nice to have' for me, take it if you can get it, but wouldn't be a turn off for me if not available. I'm pretty sure Nikon will continue to include VR in future lenses if it offers advantages (particularly in longer tele lenses). For videographers it might be a different story, maybe that 1.1x stabilization crop mode gives additional use there when shooting while on the move? However that's only in 1080p mode so needs likely to be improved in the future, plus it's for the vid guys to worry about, not me

- I'm not worried about single card slots, never had lost any pictures due card failures, stopped using double slots for backup long time ago.

Overall it looks Canon has come up with a solid mirrorless first generation and that's a good thing. It seems nothing really lost in comparison to a dSLR (apart from shots per battery), but bringing in advantages and being 'future-proof' - your going to step into the system Canon (and Nikon) consider their future.
So, yes, bring it one.

Two more comments:
Canon has put the LCD frame level to the bottom of the camera. In the Nikon it seems to sit about 2mm above it, at the most. Ouch. There's potential on cracking up that screen, in particular if you're using you tools a lil' rought at times (as I do ) If you add the battery grip it won't be an issue but otherwise....hhhmmmm...hope I'm wrong here.

The biggest draw for me however is the EVF and additional controls indeed. Can't wait over/under exposing and seeing real time results in the viewfinder! Plus I the additional control via the lens. With front, rear and lens dial I've got the possibility to change settings of 3 parameters effortlessly, that's great stuff. I really do like that new 'left/right' button on the Canon, btw. Having the possibility to change 3 settings with good ergonomics out of 4 (aperture, speed, over/under exposure, ISO) and with direct access is good stuff. No fumbling around while shooting, switching easily while framing, and seeing instant results, yay!
Good news from both Canon and Nikon.

-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: