Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

Z6 and Z7 by Nikon

Old 08-24-18, 08:14 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Z6 and Z7 by Nikon

I'm looking at my piggy bank. Poor piggy looks frightened, and it has a real reason to do so...

I'm sure you've read about the Z6/Z7 announcement by Nikon, if not here a quick link to dpreview:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nik...traffic_source

What I've read so far is rather positive, in particular about the handling. I prefer a handgrip over some retro design without. If the ergonomics are as good as folks say so far then that puts this camera into my sights. The viewfinder, another very important feature to capture a shot, gets great comments, too.

I'm not too worried about AF, buffer size and clearing, or single card slot. I'm pretty sure that the AF system is capable for my style of shooting, same goes for the buffer. If I shoot motorcycles in downtown Bangkok 5.5fps with exposure is fine (and 9fps without certainly is), as is a buffer of about 20 raw files.
After all my decade old D3 still does a perfectly credible job for me.

The only thing I really am worried about is a **** rating of just 330 shot per charge. On the other hand you can easily carry another spare battery or two.
Plus there has been a comment over a dpreview that one guy got the 10% low battery warning after taking more than 1500 shots plus a few vids.
So maybe not as bad as it sounds.

Piggy...bye, bye, piggy?
Poor piggy

Old 08-24-18, 09:06 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Few more thoughts:

For me it will be the Z7. I'm not much into vids, don't need excessive speeds of sports journos, so the 46MP in D850 quality is a no brainer. Well, a +$1400 brainer...

On top of that I can have a 2 or 3 lens setup for a wide range of shooting, in particular with the adapter for my G lenses.
That 14-30 f4.0 lens looks fantastic for 2019. No need for f2.8 in that range, size will be considerably smaller than comparable lenses. This will be my future standard lens.
My 28mm f1.8 will continue to do the low light city walks.
Then add something on the long range. Initially my 60mm 2.8 Micro will do that job. Gives me close ups and up to 120mm - cropped to 23MP.

So I need to get just one lens plus the adapter - well, I can use my 16-35mm f4 initially as well, until I the 14-30 becomes available.
Replacing my old 85mm D with the new 85mm 1.8 will be another option. Great portraits, and 170mm cropped to 23MP.
Exchanging the 70-200mm 2.8 for a 4.0 might be another option, as I don't really need the f2.8 anymore with so much improved ISO.
But as said, great news is that I don't really need to buy much new stuff initially.

Btw, I really like that they are making a lot of f1.8 prime lenses for this system, f1.4 or f1.2 makes lenses bigger and more expensive for just a little gain (apart from bragging rights).
F1.8 primes were always my favorites in terms of size, performance and price - albeit the new 1.8's are rather costly so far!

Good thing that they didn't up the prices too much either. The Z6 is about $300 more than a D750, while the Z7 is almost the same as the D850.
Looking at what info is available on the lens road map it seems they start out with the medium range primes, then add 2.8 zooms and top shelf primes.
Later on we might see the arrival of cheaper alternatives, along with lower cost bodies.
Looking good for Nikonians.
Old 08-24-18, 09:15 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

But what could be a photography forum without photos?

Since I've got no Nikon Z to play around I will post a snapshot taken with my Sony down at the mall last weekend:

1. Parrot...errrr....Porsche...

Yup, has been taken with a Sony.
XA1 Ultra mid-range cell phone
Quite impressed by their phone cameras, in particular considering bang for buck.
Old 08-25-18, 09:16 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Been reading some of the discussions on this new one. From the standpoint of something else, this is pretty exciting to have Nikon join where Sony has dominated. I've come to like the size aspects of mirrorless like the Canon M3 offers yet there are varying issues that come with it and the system. Exciting to see what becomes of the new Nikon.
Old 08-25-18, 03:49 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

congrats to nikon for getting the jump on canon but i think the advantage will be short lived. also, the FTZ adapter is ridiculously huge!!

https://www.dpreview.com/news/380832...-series-bodies
Old 08-25-18, 06:39 PM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah the adapter is pretty bulky, but having access to 300+ lens right off the bat is definitely going to be worth it for some
Old 08-25-18, 06:52 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Well, that bulge at the bottom makes it look huge, but if it is needed to achieve max compatibility, so be it.
It's rather long indeed, but that is because of the flange distance - from 46.5mm to 16mm (!!!!) Can't change that.
Plus the new mount is actually wider than the F mount.
Once a G lens (or whatever older model) is attached it won't matter so much - they all will look massive on that body. For example a 50mm 1.4 will look more like a 105mm micro, once it gets an additional 30mm at its base.

Yes, in a few months we will likely see a Canon full frame as well. Will be interesting to see their approach to a new lens mount.
Here the rumor site:
https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-fu...as-we-thought/

Overall things are slowly moving to what I predicted way, way back when there were no FF cameras yet.
That at one point APS-C gets obsolete for SLR type cameras and we will go back to all FF, as it was in the film days...

That will take a while but think about it: Would you make yet another lens mount for an APS-C camera, plus yet one more lens range - or use that new Z mount, slap an APS-C sensor in it and produce cheaper range of Z lenses?
I think the latter makes more sense.
Take the innards of a D3500, put them in a Z body, make three cheap zoom lenses.

And at one point in the future the FF sensors get so cheap that it won't be a cost issue anymore to use APS-C for entry level line up.
Old 08-26-18, 06:46 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

can't really follow your logic there but i think the aps-c market is all but dead. phone cameras have and are killing it.

in general one thing i'm surprised about is sticking to the 3:2 format on cameras... i think a wider format would be better. i know, we can crop or camera can block it out, but still.

but legacy is a tough thing, all those lenses and camera bodies and know-how, etc. out there.

anyway, i think this new nikon is 'ok', nothing amazing.

what's the diff between z6 and z7?
Old 08-26-18, 09:25 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Remains to be seen how this will transition. For both Canon and Nikon they will do well to devote towards bringing a good range of glass for these. Horses for courses so users wait and for how long. Canon's APS-C mirrorless remains a half hearted attempt to be in the market segment, the native lenses are so-so. The adapter to use the EF glass allows owners to use those lenses on the M system but that ruins the size factor.

That's great they also have the MP density yet the usefulness transitions over to having a larger drive and having more processing power available.

Z7 has 45.X MP
Z6 has 24.X MP
Old 08-27-18, 12:33 PM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Z7 competes with the a7r line, Z6 compares with the a7
Old 08-27-18, 05:57 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My A9 still untouchable lol
Old 08-28-18, 01:39 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by Allen K View Post
Z7 competes with the a7r line, Z6 compares with the a7
right but do the nikons do any better than the sonys that have been around a while already?
Old 08-28-18, 05:18 PM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Have more lenses Should be interesting to see what actual users say. Based on the early hands on, it seems as if the grip on the Nikon is beefier than on the Sony. Even though the grips have been getting better on each generation of A7/r/s people still complain that it's too shallow.

Sony obviously has the leg up with native FE lenses vs Nikon's native Z mount lenses, but being able to adapt old glass saves people a ton of money from having to buy a whole new system. Hard to say if it'll steal mirrorless market share from Sony, but it could definitely see it keep a bunch of people from switching. The completely silent shutter on mirrorless really is handy. I was shooting a charity golf tournament just last week and I could photograph the golfer's entire swing which I wouldn't be able to do with a flappy old mirror
Old 08-29-18, 11:33 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

no doubt the z6/z7 will keep some nikon shooters from going to sony, plus nikon will get some new customers. so they're an automatic win in that regard.

more lenses, yeah, if you want to use that humongous adapter.

mirrorless cameras are a bit like hybrid cars. they're quiet, and efficient, but still kinda funky.
Old 08-30-18, 08:42 AM
Allen K
Epic Allen

I would agree especially with the previous gen of Sony cameras, but they've really came into their own with this current gen. I got ~3200 shots out of a single battery with the a9 last week and I probably would've gotten more if I had paid attention and taken it off of continuous AF. Nikon will be better off once they start churning out more native Z lenses

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: