Kaydee Goes to Japan Again! This time Kansai - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Digital Photography
Kaydee Goes to Japan Again! This time Kansai >

Kaydee Goes to Japan Again! This time Kansai

Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

Kaydee Goes to Japan Again! This time Kansai

Old 07-31-18, 10:05 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Default Kaydee Goes to Japan Again! This time Kansai

I was on holidays in Osaka, Kyoto, Hiroshima and Miyajima just last week, and while it was hot and very sweaty due to the heatwave, I did have a grand time navigating and eating my way into diabetes in the southern region of Japan. Here are some photos. All digital shots are taken with Sony A9 and the Zeiss 35 2.8. All the film shot (still processing) are taken with the F2A with the Voigtlander 40mm f2 all on Fuji-branded films.

1. Despite the constant sun and heat all throughout my stay there, there was a very nice directional light everywhere in downtown Kyoto that makes for these kinds of cool photos.

3. Shoppers at a Shotengai, a type of Japanese strip mall

4. Kinkakuji Golden Temple: Don't let the serene appearance fool you. What you don't see behind the screen is a no hold-barred scene of tourists wrestling one another to get into the best photo position.

5. My stay coincided with the annual Gion Festival in Kyoto. Though I missed the main parade earlier in July, I was able to see the wrap up event. What you see here is Kanko Sai, a float parade of sorts where men in traditional garbs carry three Mikoshis (a miniature shrine) around town as they chant "Hoito Hoito." The Mikoshis are then brought back to Yasaka Shrine in the Gion district before the end of the day where they are cleansed and purified.

6. A Mikoshi

7. This was one of the most energetic cultural event I've ever seen. There were old people taking turns carrying and hoisting the Mikoshi as they chant well into the night.

8. As you can see the whole procession is hard work. Coupled with the summer heat, many rushed to the vending machines for something to drink.

9. A woman in a Yukata dress in Gion district

10. The famous floating torii gate at Itsukushima Shrine on Miyajima Island, on the outskirts of Hiroshima.

11. Abeno Harukas Observation tower: THE ULTIMATE CHILL PLACE. One floor down from the observation deck, there was a small garden with tables and chairs and a small bar/cafe to boot.

12. A salaryman in the Dotonbori district, Osaka.

More photos to come....

Last edited by Kaydee; 07-31-18 at 10:07 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-01-18, 10:58 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Super shots Kaydee!

One of our trips came end of May and that was becoming pretty warm humid. Especially the commuter trains, felt like I was a piece of dim sum
into the steamer basket. Any visits to the camera shops?
Old 08-01-18, 04:34 PM
Kaydee

Thanks Mike!

Yes it was quite hot. Kyoto especially. I thought Myanmar was hot when I visited last year, but Kyoto in July is even worse. I quickly got over the heat after the second day, but I was drinking water like a man drowning.

I did visit a number of camera stores, including the magnificent Yodobashi store, in Osaka on my last day. There was one store that was quite dangerous seeing that it was located right next to a busy metro exit. I almost bought a Nikon F3Press version, but I think the staff not knowing English was a blessing in disguise.

Last edited by Kaydee; 08-01-18 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-02-18, 01:12 AM
Kaydee

13. Fushimi Inari torii gates in Kyoto. Hiked all the way to the top to escape the throngs of tourists. I heard that the place is open 24 hours...might actually come back for a night visit.

15. Schoolkids in Osaka.

16. Sumiyoshi Taisha in Osaka. The Taiko Bashi drum bridge was very impressive.

17. A woman walking her cat in Kyoto

18. Monkeys at the Iwatayama Monkey Forest in Arashiyama, Kyoto. The ironic thing was that all the humans were inside a small cabin whilst the monkeys are free to roam around the forest.

19. Kyoto as seen from the peak of Iwatayama monkey forest. This hike, though fairly short and manageable, was painful in that summer heat.

Last edited by Kaydee; 08-02-18 at 01:17 AM.
Old 08-04-18, 09:49 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Beautiful!!! I like how green Japan looks in summer weather. One enjoyment is we can view these pretty areas in the comforts of an A/C room though that does lack the first person experience. Especially when that comes to the sounds of an event or food. Thanks for sharing those. How long were you in each of those regions?
Old 08-06-18, 05:10 PM
Kaydee

Thanks Mike. Funnily enough, there were small air conditioned waiting rooms set up in some parts of the city for the few brave souls crazy enough to venture out into the elements.

I was there for a total of 8 days. 4 days in Kyoto, 1 night in Hiroshima, and 2 days in Osaka. But in that time I managed to visit, Kyoto, Nara, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Himeji and Osaka.
Old 08-12-18, 07:23 PM
Kaydee

Some film shots

20. One of the things i wanted to eat tons in Japan was Sushi. Luckily there was a Kaiten Sushi (conveyor belt sushi) right outside my accommodation. Sure it's not exactly Michelin star quality, but it beats just about 90% of all sushi places in HK. I had sushi basically every other night.

21. The very peaceful Tenryuji Temple in Arashiyama, Kyoto. Get here early in the morning to enjoy the serenity before tourists ruin the zen calm.

22. The one of many restaurants that line up the Kamo River in Kyoto.

23 The famous Nara deers. Though you can pet these deers because they are friendly, they turn into the wild animals that they are when smell food. Also, watch out for maps, papers, scarfs or handkerchiefs in your possesion...the deers aren't picky eaters.

24. Deers in Nara

25 Genbaku Dome: No other place that I've been to is both eerie and beautiful at the same time. In fact, Hiroshima was the total surprise for me. The city is laid back and picturesque with the many many rivers and mountains in the horizon. A place I'd definitely would want to stay in longer next time around.

26 The Peace Memorial Monument in Hiroshima with the Atom Bomb dome. I couldn't help but constantly look up into the sky while I was walking in Hiroshima, trying to imagine the giant fireball that wiped out some 100,000 people on the morning of Aug 6, 1945.

27 Kids get photographed with a samurai outfit at the Osaka Castle. The inside of the castle has been modernized to include lifts and from the top you get a nice vantage point to see the city. But if you are looking for an authentic Japanese castle experience, go to Himeji instead.

28 Umeda in Osaka. Can you spot the building in which an elevated highway goes through it?

29. Himeji: The White Crane castle. A UNESCO site that is known for it's beautiful white exterior. The inside was kept original and as you climb up the main keep, you get to see where the samurai warriors lived. The racks where they kept the katana swords and later muskets were very cool.

30. Friday night out in Dotonbori. One thing that never stop to amaze me is the amount of life and energy (also light) in Japan's nightlife.

31. A view of Osaka from it's highest observation tower, Abeno Harukas.

Last edited by Kaydee; 08-13-18 at 05:11 AM.
Old 08-12-18, 08:40 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Fabulous!! The kaiten sushi places we'd wandered into while in Kagoshima and Fukuoka were quite good. The fish served is a step above much of what we'd had stateside form fancier Japanese sushi places. Your pics make me wnat to go back and eat and take more pics.

Those films look really good. What camera rig was this? Were they processed in Japan or back home? What are they or you scanning them on?

Thanks for sharing those!
Old 08-13-18, 12:33 AM
Kaydee

The kaitensushi place really wasn't all that bad. Most of the plates were 100 yen (USD 1) and you get two pieces per plate. Some of the fancier fish were 300 yen. Again, you're never going to get a Jiro Dreams of Sushi experience here, but the taste wasn't all that bad. There were tons of patrons the two days I was there, so food turnaround was quick and there weren't many sushi plates just sitting on the conveyor. I did go to a fancier place, but one of the things I enjoyed about Kaitenzushi was you get to sit down and start chomping down right away.

One thing I found in the Kansai area was that there are more sushi/tempura/teishoku restaurants compared to Tokyo, where there are ramen establishments at almost every block. Most of my foods pics are taken with the phone since by the time I have a meal, I'm usually famished from all that walking.

All the film photos, with the exception of #30 which is digital, was taken with the manual Nikon F2A Photomic and the Voigtlander 40mm f2 lens. I had planned to bring the Nikon F6 with a number of lenses, but found out during packing that I didn't have space in the backpack, so I went very light. I was visiting multiple cities some days and didn't want to get bogged down with luggage of having to bother with finding lockers.

The photos were all processed and scanned back in Hong Kong. If I remember they use the Noritsu scanners.

Last edited by Kaydee; 08-13-18 at 05:11 AM.
Old 11-24-18, 03:59 PM
TOPENDMS
Sponsor

Great photos! Didnt stop at any tuning shops?
Old 01-07-19, 11:27 PM
Kaydee

Not on this trip. Did a tuner/car trip in 2015 for the Auto Salon. This one was strictly food and sightseeing.
Old 01-08-19, 09:13 PM
124c41
Driver School Candidate

awesome photos, thanks for sharing!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kaydee Goes to Japan Again! This time Kansai

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: