dslr still > cell phone for many shots... - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Digital Photography
dslr still > cell phone for many shots... >

dslr still > cell phone for many shots...

Notices
Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

dslr still > cell phone for many shots...

Old 05-19-18, 12:12 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Default dslr still > cell phone for many shots...

went to a state park in FL that has manattees, loads of birds, a hippo, etc.

those i was with were taking shots with cell phones and i was shooting with my dslr. at one point in a particularly difficult place to shoot at a bird far away i told them "don't bother, i'll give you my shots"

as long as i was patient, there were many good opportunities.

i was shooting with my 5DMkIV and 70-200/4-IS
Old 05-19-18, 12:21 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

straight out of camera (JPG), 50% resize, that's it.

Old 05-19-18, 09:32 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

#1 is a great shot as it is, would profit from a bit of editing, further enhance the picture.

Cell phones are doing a good job for what they are, tiny mini-cameras. They do have their limits, however, and image quality is not on par. That said most folks use the photos mainly on social media and are more interested in the overall impression of the image, no need for the highest IQ for this. And telephotography is certainly not their strength - you even cropped your 200mm to 400mm, how could a phone compete with a 20something wide angle?
Old 05-21-18, 07:21 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by tools4fool View Post
you even cropped your 200mm to 400mm
? i resized the images just to make them load faster, didn't crop any of them.

thanks for compliment on #1
Old 05-21-18, 11:32 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

The SLR allows much more control for those inclined. I've been playing the wife's phone and it is fine for sharing simple images, beyond that I find them marginal. Now and then some of the captures surprise me for how nice they are. Being in full auto mode via the camera isn't one I'm accustomed to.
Old 05-22-18, 06:57 PM
Impatient
Driver School Candidate

Don't get me wrong, I've seen some amazing photos from phones. I have an iPhone X and it does some pretty good shots, but nothing can compare to a quality DSLR. Even entry levels can produce some great shots with the right glass. Phones are great for that quick shot of a dog chasing a balloon, but I think we're a LONG way away from a phone taking over for quality shots.

*addon* That being said, I don't take shots of birds, only cars and people. :P
Old 05-25-18, 11:33 PM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

? i resized the images just to make them load faster, didn't crop any of them.
Arrrghhh, sorry, my fault, was reading a bit to superficially there, resize isn't crop of course.
That said I shot birds up to 300mm in bird parks and at times it wasn't long enough, in particular for the smaller ones.
Old 05-26-18, 12:01 AM
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Being in full auto mode via the camera isn't one I'm accustomed to.
There are phone cameras which allow you do set quite a few things manually (ISO, shutter speed, exp compensation, WB), depending on brand and apps used.
I use mine exclusively on those manual settings (semi-manual actually, as you can choose either speed or ISO on mine).

Image quality sure is lacking in cell phones, even if you take the best cell phones vs entry level dSLR's.
Is to be expected, after all how would a tiny lens and sensor produce the same quality?

However for plenty of folks the cell phone quality is good enough in terms of quality, they don't mind some corner softness or noise, overall expression of the image is more important. After all composition needs to be right, best quality doesn't help if shoot the wrong photos.
In that sense I'm pretty sure you will find plenty of winter dSLR-photos online which are worse than the cell phone picture below:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: dslr still > cell phone for many shots...

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: