Sony hits a homerun - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

Sony hits a homerun

Old 04-30-17, 11:05 AM   #31
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

reading this article it seems like a 'worst case scenario' is unlikely.
i still don't understand how they're using the main spillway if that's already 'failed'.

https://psmag.com/heres-the-worst-ca...e-ac8e4b93fce3
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 11:15 AM   #32
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

but wait, there's more dams in the region in trouble...

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/cal...147609839.html
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-17, 09:56 PM   #33
Barbary
Pole Position

"reading this article it seems like a 'worst case scenario' is unlikely."

It is apparent to me, that numerous "worst case scenarios" have already occurred. (give me a Break). Like the breaching of the dam itself. The destruction of the main spillway. The total collapse of the emergency/augment spillway (nothing more then the dirt hillside). (more on that at the end). How about the wettest year on record, on & on. The poor folks living under the dam are still very scared.
The Dept of Water Resources (DWR) just held their 1st "community outreach hearing" in the almost 3 mos of this catastrophe

this is the link to the 31/2 hour meeting which I have watched but don't expect anyone else to any more than I expect anyone to click on all 100 of my Rodin pics. The meeting was held, not In Oroville but a town miles away?

Actually we are more worried about Shasta Dam, than Trinity, which has been at 100% for a while, and the snowpack is not 150% its 200%. We are well aware the problems w the dams up here, but we are concerned w the one that is already broken and came within hours of being broken beyond repair

The Hillside: the main mission of Oroville Dam and the whole dam project is to send Northern Calif's water down to the L A, Southern Calif area. Flood control is only secondary. About a decade ago proposals were made to build a legitimate emergency spillway, but the funding for the spillway would have to be approved by the users of the water in Southern Calif, who buy the water. DWR gets its money from them. They turned down the proposals saying the cost analysis doesn't justify the millions because the "worst case scenarios" likely happening are zero to nothing.
The Dept heads have basically been shills, making sure Southern Calif gets its water. There have been several movies made about the water grabs, "Chinatown", Jack Nicholson, "Mullholand Drive", Nick Nolte, I believe. Interestingly, shortly before this catastrophe the Dept Head departed. there is only now the new "acting head". Then there is Gov Jerry Brown who refuses to build dams for the excess water, but has spent Billions on a new High Speed railway.

"i still don't understand how they're using the main spillway if that's already 'failed'."

They have NO choice. Thats the Problem, they have to release the water someplace or the snowpack melt will breach the dam again in an uncontrolled manner. So right now DWR and everyone living within hundreds of miles of the dam are holding their breadth hoping the remaining spillway doesn't crack all the way back to the dam and break the dam itself, which is why the "Mandatory Immediate Evacuation" was called in the 1st place

Good question; No good answers
Barbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-17, 12:00 PM   #34
1111GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
Specs look good...but that price is no good.
Some of the specs are just crazy. I read that its performance is comparable to D4/D5. In that case, it may be considered cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K View Post
Has Sony's glass caught up with Nikon & Canon? I've really enjoyed my RX1R II, but I have a lot invested in Nikkor glass and don't really feel like starting from scratch unless it can cover most of what I already have
Not sure why but I'm never a fan of Sony Camera. But I do have a need to go with a smaller set up because wife almost always gives me that look when I bring my Nikon stuff. I don't have many lenses, only the 24-70 and 70-200. Even so I don't want to leave Nikon. I recently decided to get the X-T2. Even with the kit lens it should do well from what I've read. I can take this when we travel.
1111GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-17, 09:39 AM   #35
Allen K
Epic Allen

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/72...-dynamic-range

Quote:
The good news is that those worried about the camera dropping to 12-bit readout in continuous shooting needn't worry: there's no decrease in quality, since a 12 bit file can contain all its dynamic range. The bad news is that this is because the a9 doesn't appear to have more than 12 EV pixel-level dynamic range to begin with, putting its base ISO dynamic range well behind that of the a7R II. By high ISO, general image quality catches up as the higher downstream read noise is overcome by the sensor's (similar to the a7R II) dual gain architecture.
Long story short - A9 seems to trade low ISO dynamic range for speed, but does well above ISO640

Last edited by Allen K; 05-18-17 at 09:42 AM.
Allen K is online now   Reply With Quote