Sony hits a homerun - Page 2 - Club Lexus Forums

Sony hits a homerun

Old 04-19-17, 03:35 PM   #16
Barbary
Pole Position

Smile Sony a6500

I'd like to1st start out w Sony announcing their new High end camera today

Sony Alpha a9 Mirrorless Digital Camera.

I've heard it being touted as the Canon and Nikon Slayer. Having cornered the sensor business, pretty much, and sensors now going into everything from autos to refrigerators, it re enforces my thought, they are out to be the top selling camera brand. Now if they could only make Canon lens work seamlessly w them. I read recently only 3% of photos taken today are Sony cameras but in sales today they are becoming a leader as being the top seller mirrorless camera, as in my Sony a6000, which I really like.

a9.jpg
As these previous posts of mine imply i've been dreaming of upgrading my a6000. What got me into action is we here in Northern California are on the brink of a once one a lifetime catastrophe. America's tallest dam is on verge of collapse. The Dept of Water Resources is trying to prevent this in the wettest year on record w the dam's primary spillway destroyed and the emergency spillway destroyed. I encourage anyone to go to youtube and type in "Oroville dam spillway" You won't believe what you see.

They were in the process of inspecting it and I wanted to photo it. I got the idea to get the a6500 and photo it before they shut the water completely the next day. I went to Best Buy (I love instant gratification) picked up the a6500 and went up there the next day. I didn't have time to learn the settings or set the camera, so everything was basically on default and let me see what the camera did on basic default and get to familiarize myself w it. They wouldn't let me get close enough to even see the spillways or photograph. Which is what I feared but thought I would at least try.. I did get some of the water in the dam.
I did continue on through the Feather River Canyon to Reno, photographing as much as I could. I spent a couple of days there and Lake Tahoe. I was pretty much amazed at how much Nevada was flooded. Actually had a great time, got lots of photos of the Lake at its highest level while in a heavy duty storm. It was snowing some flurries, Just 4 mos prior I photo ed it at its lowest level. It's in my album "Lake Tahoe from sunrise to Sunset"

I can say so far the camera feels more like a whole new camera rather than an upgrade, but then I missed the a6300. The 1st time I clicked on my Zeiss lens, the thought that came to mind was, this is a solid camera. It felt substantial. I haven't had it long enough to write any kind of review but it's menu is easier, it does things better. The one thing that will really help is the in camera stabilization, its going to help me get deeper into the night w my Rokinon lens which aren't lens stabilized, but are really sharp and I do lots of night shoots. Had lots of fun doing panoramas' of the Lake w my ultra wide. It did panoramas' w all my lens. Have lots of photos from my trip w this camera. Will be posting in a while

I like the camera a lot and it is well worth advancing to. Can't wait to know it and open all the possibilities its capable of 📷 😀

Last edited by Barbary; 04-19-17 at 04:13 PM.
Barbary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-17, 09:14 PM   #17
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Specs look good...but that price is no good.
Kaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-17, 06:04 AM   #18
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

had no idea how badly damaged that spillway is. video at bottom of page at this link with the guy explaining their fix is not encouraging. also, why the secrecy? they say they don't want terrorists getting the info.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/cal...145304464.html
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-17, 01:24 AM   #19
Barbary
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
had no idea how badly damaged that spillway is.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/cal...145304464.html
It was worse than that, Oroville & the surrounding area (250,000+) were given an immediate evacuation order "The Dam is going to Fail in 1 hour". The whole town evacuated for a week. Thats how close it came when the emergency spillway (Nothing more then the dirt hillside) Failed
Because it was night and the roads clogged up the evacuation took 12 hours. Imagine how Happy the Highway Patrol was. Then the Sheriff had to protect an empty town where people left w only their shirts on their backs. Imagine the Sheriff.

Even today the dam is teetering on a knifes edge. If the pounding and vibrations from the massive water releases cracks the spillway to the dam itself "ITS OVER" Much of Northern California will be under water
It's still raining and snowing up there and they have to have a whole new spillway in place by Nov. In time for the the next rainy season.
I've been watching this every day, because its unbelievable how this whole thing has been managed.

I should have stated "you tube: Oroville Dam spillway, February". Thats when the disaster vids will pop up and you can choose 😧
Old 04-24-17, 08:49 AM   #20
Allen K
Epic Allen

Has Sony's glass caught up with Nikon & Canon? I've really enjoyed my RX1R II, but I have a lot invested in Nikkor glass and don't really feel like starting from scratch unless it can cover most of what I already have
Allen K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 12:09 PM   #21
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K View Post
Has Sony's glass caught up with Nikon & Canon?
barbary's talking about half of california possibly being flooded soon and that's your question.
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-17, 12:25 PM   #22
Allen K
Epic Allen

they had plenty of drought years to fix that dam
Old 04-25-17, 02:33 PM   #23
Barbary
Pole Position

[QUOTE=Allen K;9845834]Has Sony's glass caught up with Nikon & Canon?

Hello Allen; in my opinion a resounding NO. In fact where I'm at aps-c the cupboard is bare. What I did when I started Sony I went to DPreview looked up Sony lens reviews. I thought they had very good content, included were Zeiss Sony's. Sigma and Tamoran make Sony compatibles.I've turned to Rokinon (Samyang). I've found their lens' to be super sharp, and very fast, but they aren't lens stabilized. Thats another reason I like the a6500, it is in body stabilization. I like stuff like that and Zero buffering, silent mode, many other features. Doing things better and easier.

I don't think Sony expects many photographers invested in extensive Canon or Nikon Lens to switch. I come from decades of Minolta cameras. Sony is the successor to Minolta and therefore there are tons of legacy Minolta lens that are easily adapted to Sony cameras, especially the a9 series. I still have older Minolta lens that I use today. My 1st lens was a Rokkor (Minolta) 58mm f1.2 which I wish I still had.

Well thats my 2 bits 👋
Old 04-26-17, 07:35 AM   #24
Allen K
Epic Allen

Bummer. I've been disappointed with what Nikon has been putting out lately and was considering a switch, but I'm heavily invested in Nikon at this point and don't feel like starting from scratch unless I can get all my bases covered
Old 04-26-17, 09:58 AM   #25
Barbary
Pole Position

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K View Post
Bummer. I've been disappointed with what Nikon has been putting out lately and was considering a switch, but I'm heavily invested in Nikon at this point and don't feel like starting from scratch unless I can get all my bases covered
Zeiss Sony has many excellent full frame lens and I'm sure they're working on more. The latest a9 and a7 cameras really are super
Old 04-26-17, 06:58 PM   #26
tools4fool
Lexus Test Driver

Quote:
unless I can get all my bases covered
What would that be that Sony doesn't have?
Looking at their lens range they got about everything in there apart from super-teles 300mm and up.
Overall certainly not cheap however.

But then why would one to change their entire system anyway?
Just because the body is a bit smaller?
I mean sure the body is smaller (back to the size of the old Film-SLR's I would say) but combined with all the lenses is it really that much difference?
https://d1ax9dx3gero0.cloudfront.net...-a7R-size3.jpg
Apart from that is the handling question and at least for me, with medium/big hands, a larger body seems much more ergonomic.
tools4fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-17, 10:40 AM   #27
Allen K
Epic Allen

There seem to be a few concerns about soft corners when comparing the Sony/Zeiss glass vs. Nikon. Definitely won't be all that bothersome to me because I'm no pro, but I've got pretty sharp copies of the Nikon lenses I currently have.

For me, the change would be for a few reasons. One, I want a fast shooting full frame body which Nikon doesn't offer unless I'm going for a D5. Two, I've been using the RX1RM2 for a while now and I really like the images that come out of it. Three, Nikon hasn't been doing all that well financially so it would be a bit of a preemptive move to jump ship before the ship sinks
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM   #28
Barbary
Pole Position

topbanner4 by Barbary, on Flickr

just a little update. This is a Dept of Water Resources photo that concerned me, it shows just some of the water that the dam is holding back
The right part of the photo is the earthen dam itself. Calif's 2nd largest dam and Americas tallest. I repeat "earthen" not concrete
At the center is the "Busted" spillway, but it doesn't show the amazing new canyon the spill carved out
On the left is the damage the emergency spill created. It resulted in the emergency mandatory evacuation of the town below. That actually
was the designated auxiliary spillway, where the water spilled over the sides. The dirt hillside.

The update that has been just released: The Dept of Water Resources is going to try to rebuild the top portion of the spillway that is pictured by Nov. and leave the bottom portion as is
However today there is still massive amounts of water release over that very spillway, trying to make room for the over 200% snow pack up in the mountains
It is an amazing sight, seeing the water crash on the boulders below.

My Best wishes to Oroville

there is a live feed on you tube. I think you will be surprised at what you are able to see

Last edited by Barbary; Yesterday at 04:58 PM.