Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

5DMkIV impressions (oh and pics)

Old 11-06-16, 08:56 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts
Default 5DMkIV impressions (oh and pics)

hey team... have been learning my new 5DMkIV, differences from the MkIII, and of course have taken some shots. i'm still learning, but that will always be the case.

disclaimer: the pics other than in the jewelry store and the house were just quickly taken in my living room, so no nitpicking focus, etc.

ok pics first cuz i know that's what you want to see.

pics are edited/resized/compressed from JPG using my quick editing program - ACDSee Ultimate (except the house one i did as a quick raw test/convert in Canon DPP because the the dark to light DR was yuuuge). don't hate me - i'm working on my lightroom learning curve now...

the random shots...

quick 50/1.4 test...

my cat has a good life.

morning house shot...

the jewelry store... client (not store owner) needed some photos... my impression is the exposure/metering is better on the IV, but auto white balance can still be off, but that's not surprising in a store with so little color in it and harsh LED lighting.

will post my impressions next...
Old 11-06-16, 08:56 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

i've been keeping notes of impressions in evernote so i could accumulate and not lose them.

5DMkIV notes

screen
- higher res (1.6M vs 1M)
- can set color balance and brightness
- touch screen - oh yeah... this is a HUGE HUGE win for me. less guessing whether front or back dial or other button controls a feature. i keep forgetting it's touchable though, but i'm getting better.
- typing in a wifi password with the touchscreen is obviously better than dials/buttons!
- overall impression so far - the screen is a huge upgrade and i feel the screen is MUCH more accurate in rendering photos. with my iii i'd sometimes be disappointed with a shot when looking at it on the camera screen, only to be pleased when editing on computer, and vice versa!

viewfinder
- lcd overlay with loads of configurable indicators
- love how the tilt/level display can now be shown all the time at top of VF when focus engaged. makes getting straight shots easier.

menu
- seems like a big improvement
- customizable my menu can now have multiple tabs
- info button provides help for most if not all items

live view
- focus is worlds better / faster
- facial/object recognition tracking
- i can touch the screen and the focus goes there and it tracks after that as i pan/move

wifi/nfc/gps
- camera connect app
- change settings
- view images
- remote live view
- nfc to quickly connect phone and camera
- note can't transfer raw to phone app i don't think, but can transfer raw to computer
- also has ftp support over wifi, great for studio work
- haven't played with gps, don't care much
- wifi does chew up battery, as apparently does gps

sensor
- 30mp vs 22mp
- dual pixel imaging

shutter
- 7fps vs 6fps
- something about the mechanism that's a little quieter / subdued / but very satisfying

controls
- added (re-assignable) focus zone selector button next to joystick

video
- 4k (copped to center 4k pixels)

misc.
- time lapse built-in

good videos comparing iii/iv:

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-06-16 at 05:58 PM.
Old 11-06-16, 10:34 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 105 Likes on 96 Posts

Nice. We want to hear, "This camera is amazing! SOOO much better than that aging MkIII. This camera doesn't even need any post processing, the colors and white balance are spot on! Nails focus every time and the touch screen is so responsive, no fumbling to key in." Type of comments.
Old 11-06-16, 06:33 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gad you're loving it. The Mark 4 has some features like the built in FTP transfer that is super useful for people in the media. But I think in terms of AF and sensor performance, even the Mark3 was adequate IMO.
Old 11-07-16, 06:19 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
Gad you're loving it. The Mark 4 has some features like the built in FTP transfer that is super useful for people in the media. But I think in terms of AF and sensor performance, even the Mark3 was adequate IMO.
MkIII definitely still an amazing camera. loved it. and yes of course, its AF and sensor are still extremely good, and the improvement on the IV are modest in real world (unlikely **** sensor tests on websites ).
for me it's more about usability with the touchscreen, and wifi, but better DR and much better live view focusing doesn't hurt.
Old 11-07-16, 11:49 PM
Barbary
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

morning house shot..
must be nice! good pic too
Old 11-08-16, 11:14 AM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

beautiful house.

Does the mark IV have face detection focusing and exposure?
Old 11-09-16, 08:52 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Originally Posted by chikoo View Post
beautiful house
thanks. it's a peaceful place.

Does the mark IV have face detection focusing and exposure?
not quite sure what you mean by exposure there, but it does have face and object tracking in live view at least.
Old 11-09-16, 02:26 PM
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
thanks. it's a peaceful place.

not quite sure what you mean by exposure there, but it does have face and object tracking in live view at least.
By face exposure I mean when I select a face, is the exposure set based upon the face or is it still multi area evaluation exposure?
for example, a dark skin person standing against a bright background. If I focus using face detection, will it set exposure to correctly expose the face details or will it just try to capture a scene with overall good exposure?
Old 11-09-16, 07:24 PM
IS_250
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great review. Glad to see you're enjoying your new toy!
Old 07-29-18, 04:21 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Some late ramblings coming to this party a year later in 11-2017. Quite nice and now that I have a few frames done, it is a nice step from the III. Does it do much over what I had been doing, not really. Emptied the wallet more and the kit stuff was nice in that winter bundle-rebate time. Like the images and the MP bump is helpful. The 5Ds may have been good even though it had some age. Canon doesn't bundle the feature set that tick my checklist but that said, that isn't a complaint. I'm workable and the IV does quite well. Wondering what the V version may bring.
Old 07-31-18, 05:31 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

do post some pics of and from the camera!
Old 08-01-18, 10:45 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Some 5D-IV shots

Old 04-17-19, 04:44 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Ramblings...I did like having that camera and do miss some of the feature set that was integrated. Felt the 5D-III was terrific so didn't feel the IV would be that much more. For my uses the IV was a nice step-up. Anticipating what the next R variant will bring or possibly a 5D-V. I don't need more MP, speed is nice but not necessary, dynamic range improvement would be nice. Along with a focus area that covers the full frame for selection. Focus peaking too, that has become a bigger feature I have been using for the macro shots and focus stacking.
Old 04-18-19, 08:02 AM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

expecting some big canon announcements this year on mirrorless. i'm sure the 5d-iv is the last non-mirrorless big camera from canon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5DMkIV impressions (oh and pics)

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: