Photos from a baseball game - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

Photos from a baseball game

Old 06-15-15, 01:02 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Default Photos from a baseball game

I previously made a thread about if a 70-200 with 2x extender be good enough for a baseball game. I finally rented the lens this past weekend.

Preface:
i. First time shooting a live sporting event. I had no idea how fast paced everything was. I was trying to enjoy the game as a fan but also capture the moment.
ii. I shot all these standing and hand held. No monopod.
iii. I was on aperture priority. I should have been on shutter priority.
iv. As far as distance, I was on the first deck but behind all the seats. But I walk around from LF to RF, mostly along third base and first.
v. These pics have been 'auto-corrected' in Lightroom.

Here are the results. I'd love some criticism.

Old 06-15-15, 01:06 PM
don
Lexus Champion

Old 06-15-15, 03:26 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

3, 7, 11, 13 and 14 look to have an odd focus. #3 the background looks to be camera shake but the main subject is sharp.

Tip on Lightroom, dial down the highlights slider if doing a batch process. Some of the brighter areas can havea bit more detail. Exposure on my monitor looks to be about 1/4 stop high.

The radial gradient on your subject will bring in more viewer focus. Doesn't take much, I typically use -.14 to -.23 to accomplish that along with a - in clarity. Same can be done using the graduated filter.

Lookin good
Old 06-16-15, 10:07 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
3, 7, 11, 13 and 14 look to have an odd focus. #3 the background looks to be camera shake but the main subject is sharp.

Tip on Lightroom, dial down the highlights slider if doing a batch process. Some of the brighter areas can havea bit more detail. Exposure on my monitor looks to be about 1/4 stop high.

The radial gradient on your subject will bring in more viewer focus. Doesn't take much, I typically use -.14 to -.23 to accomplish that along with a - in clarity. Same can be done using the graduated filter.

Lookin good
Thanks for the comments.

As far as the focus being off, should I be in ai servo mode? I was also in spot metering.
Old 06-16-15, 11:38 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Here is what I saw in the background. Chromatic aberration usually has color fringing around the edges. On this particular exposure I see two images as if it were camera shake but the main subject is sharp. This looks to be a characteristic of the image stabilization/vibration reduction.

I'd wanted to check the shooting info but that data has been stripped out. I would encourage you to enter in your authorship info to Lightroom ITPC data area and your camera if it has that menu option to include copyright info. This way when you post images online your name and copyright info is attached to them as well as shooting data. This one explains how to append the info on importing photos in LR:
http://digital-photography-school.co...ata-on-import/

Focus and metering mode isn't critical so long as the select the focus mode that works for the subject at hand. Exposure adjustments within Lightroom can do some pretty aggressive adjustments over or underexposed.

I don't know your familiarity with LR...as reference for getting acquainted these sites have some very good tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/user/AdobeLightroom/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkH..._XHlYIg/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/cmoeu/v...ow=grid&view=0
Many others too.

I'm not affiliated with these users, I've found some very good tips in their YT videos that have helped me. Far easier than reading the books. If you do want hard print to read, Scott Kelby and Victoria Bamptom have excellent books available. Bampton really hits the details of LR features and using them, can be quite the read to understand some of the techniques.

Your full sized will show at 1:1 clearer than what I can see in the uploaded images.
Attached Thumbnails Photos from a baseball game-ezwketn-2.jpg  
Old 06-17-15, 09:28 PM
Barbary
Lead Lap

Thumbs up Excellent Sports Shots

"First time shooting a live sports event" is amazing. They are as good as any I've seen. You've got a perfect picture of Crawford catching an infield pop up. An excellent shot of Aoki in left field. 9 is an excellent shot of a slide & tag @ 2nd. 11 is a perfect shot of a great center fielder running down a fly ball, Pagan. It's better than the catch!. 12 is 1 of the most unique batting stances in baseball, Belt. 14 is 1 of the best shots of Joe Panic @ 2nd that will ever be. There is no blur on the ball, I'm not sure you need to be on shutter mode. 16 is a good wind up shot of Voglesong. Do you know that 15 is a pic of the perfect bat swing, the position of the legs, the picture perfect extension of the batters arms. They can use that pic to teach batters. Thats why the Giants are World Series Champs.

You nailed everyone of these. You did a lot of work to get these shots. I know I was there the week before, but at a night game. I took some shots but only from my seat & w my pancake kit lens on my a6000. I like to go small in big crowds. I would never post them after your shots. I did get some good shots of Bumgartner, Posey & Sergio. I got a frontal shot of Bum scratching himself ??? I did a 11 fps bracket shot of him warming up pitching, the ball was just a blur. It was fun

So I have zero criticism. You seem to have a real eye for this stuff. We are in a place where the 5 times super bowl champs the San Francisco 49ers are, the 3 out of the last 5 World Series Champs The San Francisco Giants are. There are teams that have never won. And now the Warriors are the Basketball Finals champs. IT DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THAT!

All I have is 1 suggestion: Sports pictures seem to be 90% of 1 thing "who"
1 of my prized photos is of Willie Mays #24 at bat w Willie McCovey #25 on the on deck circle. I took @ Candlestick Park when it was new, w my Minolta SRT 101

For anyone who isn't familiar, Willie Mays is the statue in ******* Mays Plaza @ the entrance into the ballpark. He is considered the greatest Giants ballplayer.
Willie McCovey has "McCovey Cove" named after him, where the home runs splash into the San Francisco bay. It seems the more famous the ball player the more valuable the pic.

I think next time I'm going to go w my Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.4 lens.
(Great pics) especially for 1st time. congrats!

Old 06-18-15, 03:25 PM
Hoovey2411

So I have zero criticism. You seem to have a real eye for this stuff. We are in a place where the 5 times super bowl champs the San Francisco 49ers are, the 3 out of the last 5 World Series Champs The San Francisco Giants are. There are teams that have never won. And now the Warriors are the Basketball Finals champs. IT DOESN'T GET BETTER THAN THAT!
Well said, though it could get better if the Sharks ever hoist Lord Stanley's trophy. Then I can die happy!
Old 06-19-15, 04:24 PM
1111GS

Looking good! What aperture were you on? I personally like to go as low as I can with the given lens. I like a more blurred background. Did you try without the extender and crop?
Have you thought about doing "panning" shots? I think it'd be awesome. You'll add some movement to your photos. It takes some time to get comfortable but once you've got it, you'll enjoy shooting even more. You got a lot of light in this sport, it should work well.

Last edited by 1111GS; 06-19-15 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-22-15, 10:06 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
Here is what I saw in the background. Chromatic aberration usually has color fringing around the edges. On this particular exposure I see two images as if it were camera shake but the main subject is sharp. This looks to be a characteristic of the image stabilization/vibration reduction.

I'd wanted to check the shooting info but that data has been stripped out. I would encourage you to enter in your authorship info to Lightroom ITPC data area and your camera if it has that menu option to include copyright info. This way when you post images online your name and copyright info is attached to them as well as shooting data. This one explains how to append the info on importing photos in LR:
http://digital-photography-school.co...ata-on-import/

Focus and metering mode isn't critical so long as the select the focus mode that works for the subject at hand. Exposure adjustments within Lightroom can do some pretty aggressive adjustments over or underexposed.

I don't know your familiarity with LR...as reference for getting acquainted these sites have some very good tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/user/AdobeLightroom/videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkH..._XHlYIg/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/cmoeu/v...ow=grid&view=0
Many others too.

I'm not affiliated with these users, I've found some very good tips in their YT videos that have helped me. Far easier than reading the books. If you do want hard print to read, Scott Kelby and Victoria Bamptom have excellent books available. Bampton really hits the details of LR features and using them, can be quite the read to understand some of the techniques.

Your full sized will show at 1:1 clearer than what I can see in the uploaded images.
That makes, some sense. I figured the blur was due to camera shake since it was hand held. I have not watched the videos yet, but I will. But quick question, will a monopod reduce/fix CA?

I guess imur stripes the exif data so I've uploaded a couple files to flickr.
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/007Tm7
https://www.flickr.com/gp/[email protected]/8V04Se

Last edited by don; 06-22-15 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-22-15, 10:15 AM
don
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Barbary View Post
"First time shooting a live sports event" is amazing. They are as good as any I've seen. You've got a perfect picture of Crawford catching an infield pop up. An excellent shot of Aoki in left field. 9 is an excellent shot of a slide & tag @ 2nd. 11 is a perfect shot of a great center fielder running down a fly ball, Pagan. It's better than the catch!. 12 is 1 of the most unique batting stances in baseball, Belt. 14 is 1 of the best shots of Joe Panic @ 2nd that will ever be. There is no blur on the ball, I'm not sure you need to be on shutter mode. 16 is a good wind up shot of Voglesong. Do you know that 15 is a pic of the perfect bat swing, the position of the legs, the picture perfect extension of the batters arms. They can use that pic to teach batters. Thats why the Giants are World Series Champs.

All I have is 1 suggestion: Sports pictures seem to be 90% of 1 thing "who"
1 of my prized photos is of Willie Mays #24 at bat w Willie McCovey #25 on the on deck circle. I took @ Candlestick Park when it was new, w my Minolta SRT 101

For anyone who isn't familiar, Willie Mays is the statue in ******* Mays Plaza @ the entrance into the ballpark. He is considered the greatest Giants ballplayer.
Willie McCovey has "McCovey Cove" named after him, where the home runs splash into the San Francisco bay. It seems the more famous the ball player the more valuable the pic.

I think next time I'm going to go w my Minolta Rokkor 58mm f1.4 lens.
(Great pics) especially for 1st time. congrats!
Thanks for the kind words. I couldn't agree more on why they are champs
Do you mind share the Willie pic? I would love to see that.

Originally Posted by 1101GS View Post
Looking good! What aperture were you on? I personally like to go as low as I can with the given lens. I like a more blurred background. Did you try without the extender and crop?
Have you thought about doing "panning" shots? I think it'd be awesome. You'll add some movement to your photos. It takes some time to get comfortable but once you've got it, you'll enjoy shooting even more. You got a lot of light in this sport, it should work well.
I was shooting on a 70-200 f/2.8 with 2x extender. 5.4 is the lowest I can go with the extender. I did not take try it without the extender, I was not too close to the action. I was basically in the concession stands with the smell of garlic fries. I plan on going to the minor league games here where you are close enough to hear the ump, then I can pump it up to 2.8. Not sure if they will let me in with a big lens though.
Old 06-25-15, 03:47 PM
Barbary
Lead Lap

Default Willie Mays

Originally Posted by don View Post
Thanks for the kind words. I couldn't agree more on why they are champs
Do you mind share the Willie pic? I would love to see that.

I was shooting on a 70-200 f/2.8 with 2x extender. 5.4 is the lowest I can go with the extender. I did not take try it without the extender, I was not too close to the action. I was basically in the concession stands with the smell of garlic fries. I plan on going to the minor league games here where you are close enough to hear the ump, then I can pump it up to 2.8. Not sure if they will let me in with a big lens though.

Your photos are very good. The Willie Mays photo is on a Kodak print from a 35mm neg. So right now all I could do is take a pic of the pic. I do have a digitizing project I want to do but I'm so in the present I don't know when I am going to get around to do it
_______"Go Giants, Go Niners, Go Warriors"____(Go Sharks?)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Photos from a baseball game

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: