Food Only! - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

Food Only!

Old 05-31-13, 12:13 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The restaurant is Hamamori Sushi Bar at South Coast Plaza west. I'm probably safer coming in for lunch next time. The happy hour has some good deals so that's when we've headed in. Oh gawd...it would be more $ if not for those specials.
Old 05-31-13, 01:18 PM
Allen K
Epic Allen

I will have to pay it a visit
Old 05-31-13, 02:48 PM
krIS350
Driver School Candidate

me sooo hungry. fav place in SF, belly good crepes
Old 05-31-13, 04:35 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Break time snack, Japanese sweet green bean bun

3. Lunch - seafood pescatore

Last edited by RA40; 05-31-13 at 09:08 PM. Reason: addition
Old 06-02-13, 06:01 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Tonight's dessert:

1. Special pear tart

2. Framboise

As amusing as the 100L is, I tire of the thin band of focus. One of the guy's in the group has been urging me to use the 45 or 90mm T/S lens with extension tube. Will demo it.

My work around has been a composite with different focus points and a blend in post. The ability to use selective focus allows lots of creative ways to implement. Just uses up lot of frames due to the 3 bracketed shots. What used to be a simple set-up now goes 12 frames (4 different focus points) to 36 frames (12 different focus points.) or more. A super stable tripod rig is crucial.

Why I add the complexity to myself is The small format P&S's are so much easier in this regard. DOF is vastly different but then I ponder large format as well.
Old 06-02-13, 09:16 PM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
The restaurant is Hamamori Sushi Bar at South Coast Plaza west. I'm probably safer coming in for lunch next time. The happy hour has some good deals so that's when we've headed in. Oh gawd...it would be more $ if not for those specials.
No pictures, but I went there for an early dinner with the wife today and the wallet hit was $136 pretip. So worth it though, thanks for the rec!
Old 06-02-13, 10:29 PM
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

mike, those food pics, is that a client of yours or you just shoot while having pricey chow?
Old 06-03-13, 12:52 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Allen K View Post
No pictures, but I went there for an early dinner with the wife today and the wallet hit was $136 pretip. So worth it though, thanks for the rec!
Glad you made it in. What dishes did you order?

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
mike, those food pics, is that a client of yours or you just shoot while having pricey chow?
This is part of the ongoing tuition to get practice with food. The lab guys tease me that for all the food seen-eaten, I should weight 300#'s.
Old 06-03-13, 02:26 PM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Ended up getting the scallop w/ truffle sushi, seared toro sushi, wagyu sushi, that spicy tuna pizza thing, calamari, albacore tataki, hamachi sashimi, and an otoro sashimi (which ended up being the most expensive thing we got but so worth it) Split with the woman so it's not like I ate it all
Old 06-03-13, 03:08 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Had bruxie the other day! Taken with my S2

Old 06-03-13, 05:13 PM
TYPEII
Lexus Champion

Damn! You Cali peeps got all the good eats... BC too..
Old 06-04-13, 04:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Yesterday was a grocery day. Normally we don't splurge but I saw some Wagyu cuts in the display case. Mentioned to the wife to get some of the NY type cuts at $29.95/#. When she walked up, it happened to be the butcher she's known since she was a little girl. He hadn't seen her in about 4 years so both were quite happy. He asked her what she wanted and he said, "I'll hook you up with some nice steaks."

We're standing in front of the Wagyu section, he walks to a different counter and reaches in. I look over and it's the "Kobe" cuts at $49.95/#. He sifts through the cuts, pulls two big pieces that are about 1-3/4" thick and thumps them on the scale, I see just shy of 3#'s. Punches the code in and slaps a label on them. He asks "do you like ground beef, pork, fish? After answering he is pulls various items from other sections of the case. In my mind I'm thinking this is going to be $$$. He wrapped them up and the labels indicated ground Wagyu, pork tenderloin and Copper River salmon. Price was still eye opening but not to far out to blow our grocery budget.

We don't buy this type of meat so I snapped pic for memory sake. Leaner than typical Kobe we've had in Japan and he knows we don't like super fatty meats. I don't want to think what this would cost at Flemmings, Mortons...etc.

5D-C, 40mm with 12mm extension tube attached. I like the DOF opposed to the 100L. (This may give way to the 45mm T/S if it works as suspected.)

We'll grill these up this evening.
Attached Thumbnails Food Only!-kbbf2.jpg   Food Only!-kbbf05.jpg  

Last edited by RA40; 06-05-13 at 02:40 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 06-05-13, 04:43 AM
Cuttooth
Lead Lap

Damn there's some incredibly tasty looking food shots in here recently!

Originally Posted by krIS350 View Post
me sooo hungry. fav place in SF, belly good crepes
Do they serve savory crepes, too? Gonna be up there in a couple of weeks and would be nice to find a good creperie.
I painfully miss Ti Couz that was in the mission district. They had the most incredible savory Normandy style buckwheat crepes.
Old 06-05-13, 07:02 AM
MrMark
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
8. Fried calamari

9. Grilled salmon skin salad

10. Grilled salmon skin strips

11. Lobster and scallop sushi

14. Scallop and shaved truffle sushi

I hate you......

I made some homemade pork/shrimp dumplings with hand drawn noodles. My noodles came out a little inconsistent since it was my first time stretching them, but tasted good.....

Old 06-05-13, 01:14 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

MrMark looks good.

One of the airport ramen shops (Maybe it was Nagoya) had handmade noodles and they'd cut them to order. Super cool to see the way they used a knife to cut them. I have a noodle soup craving now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Food Only!

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: