The "Look what I got today!" Thread - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Digital Photography
The "Look what I got today!" Thread >

The "Look what I got today!" Thread

Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

The "Look what I got today!" Thread

Old 01-22-13, 07:25 AM
xuserx04
Lead Lap

girlfriend got me a nikon d5100 for my birthday today. time to buy a tripod.
Old 01-28-13, 08:06 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
since 99% of images are looked at on average monitors these days, prepping for good display on those makes the most sense.

having a monitor way better than everyone else has leads to results others can't even appreciate. now i guess you can have one of each
Bit -

Using an "average" monitor for photography and getting it to "color match" is like shooting yourself in the foot. It won't work, even if you have a top line i1Pro doing the calibration. Now if you're not making any money at all and just want to show off iphone pics, then that's fine. But, if you're doing any type of money making job and making prints, then it'll make a huge difference.
Old 01-28-13, 11:50 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
Somebody should jump on this. I don't think I'm gonna get a bag, I might just make do with what I already have. I've been spending way too much lately.
I went looking at Crumpler bags the other day...I restrained myself. The dividers are thinner than the ones in the '08 5 Mil bag. I'm still looking and will likely sell off some of the Tamrac bags. Dragged out the Pelican case and that was enough exercise empty.

Don't know what to do.
Old 01-28-13, 06:21 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

ship them here and I'm sure it'll be a good home to some of my currently homeless lenses
Old 01-31-13, 10:13 AM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Gilt currently has a sale on Crumpler bags. They don't list the sizes if there are multiples so cross check the MSRP with the Crumpler website. I picked up the Karachi Outpost (it's a Medium) so I'll likely sell off my small one when it arrives

http://www.gilt.com/sale/men/crumpler-accessories-2023
Old 02-01-13, 08:31 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Finding a quality small ball head for the G9 wasn't difficult. The made in China ones would be sufficient but the desire for a bit nicer head was in mind. That started a whole search and the final part ended today.

The Cullmann head was a simple platform that had a screw on-off platform. The head has anti-twist prongs but not in use for the platform. A RRS BH-25 would be fine and I even looked at their QR platform. The guy said their plate didn't match the Cullmann anti-twist so that took that out of the question. The local guy had an Induro Arca system for $70 but I have that "Made in China" thing.

Kirk Photo has a demo and blemished section so I picked up this **** release and with $10 shipping it came to $55. I knew I'd have to do some things to make it work so there was about $75 of leeway in my labor before the cost of a RRS lever platform factored in.

Told the wife next time I think I'm going to save any $ or break even, just shoot me and buy it for me. She shook her head as usual at my thought process. I did enjoy the hands on. Now it has the features, weight and size, adding in parts and labor come somewhere at about $225 excluding plates.

Only machining problems was an end mill small enough, this was not on hand so some improvising was needed. Mounted it looks fine but it is not as clean a slot as it should be.
Here are the pics and the result. Time about an hour some odd.
Attached Thumbnails The "Look what I got today!" Thread-trpd1.jpg   The "Look what I got today!" Thread-trpd2.jpg   The "Look what I got today!" Thread-trpd2b.jpg   The "Look what I got today!" Thread-trpd3.jpg   The "Look what I got today!" Thread-trpd4.jpg  

Last edited by RA40; 02-01-13 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-01-13, 08:32 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

The rest...
Attached Thumbnails The "Look what I got today!" Thread-trpd5.jpg   The "Look what I got today!" Thread-trpd6.jpg   The "Look what I got today!" Thread-trpd7.jpg   The "Look what I got today!" Thread-trpd8.jpg   The "Look what I got today!" Thread-trpd9.jpg  

Old 02-02-13, 04:39 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Fed Ex dropped this, an "L" plate for the 5D with battery grip. These QR plates add up.
Attached Thumbnails The "Look what I got today!" Thread-rrs5d002.jpg   The "Look what I got today!" Thread-rrs5d003.jpg  
Old 02-04-13, 04:53 AM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

you know things are getting serious when drilling was involved
Old 02-06-13, 02:40 PM
fricks
Rookie

Got a D800 and Zeiss 50 to add to my line up. Now its time to start working on the car :lol:

Old 02-08-13, 12:04 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
you know things are getting serious when drilling was involved
The combo works great and with the L plate, getting low level shots was excellent. Was able to get low angles I'd not been able to prior to this so I am very pleased at how versatile this rig is. A wider jaw clamp would allow more range up-down when in this position. This was a nice experiment so I have a good idea for a table top SLR rig.
Attached Thumbnails The "Look what I got today!" Thread-g9005.jpg   The "Look what I got today!" Thread-g9004.jpg  
Old 02-13-13, 04:30 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Should have plenty of clamps, now time for some rigs!

Old 02-13-13, 06:14 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

^ Oh sweet you bought clamps for all of us!
Old 02-13-13, 09:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by greg0126 View Post
^ Oh sweet you bought clamps for all of us!
I can use some too.
Old 02-21-13, 06:14 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

The carrier has arrived!

Untitled by joey_porma, on Flickr

Untitled by joey_porma, on Flickr

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "Look what I got today!" Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: