The "Look what I got today!" Thread - Page 3 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > General Forums > Digital Photography
The "Look what I got today!" Thread >

The "Look what I got today!" Thread

Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

The "Look what I got today!" Thread

Old 01-20-13, 06:01 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

went for a small photoshoot. I'm currently hiring a financial planner who is willing to work pro bono
Old 01-20-13, 07:42 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Wow...nice toys.
My neck and shoulders ache seeing that.
Old 01-21-13, 01:47 AM
Kaydee

I'm a big guy but trying to maneuver that 70-200 around hoards of people is like wrestling a giant python.
Old 01-21-13, 01:55 AM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Nice @ Kaydee, i just watch Suits the other day and finally know what pro bono means

@Percy,

I know this isn't a professional monitor, its a hell of an upgrade for me since im using like a 10 year old monitor.
Old 01-21-13, 02:33 AM
Kaydee

I have covered all the focal lengths I use the most often. So unless I can find a really really good deal on a 28 1.8, I should be pretty good for awhile in terms of lenses. Bags on the other hand....I need a new one to fit all these gears together...any suggestions. Leaning towards the ThinkTank airport series or the Crumpler Karachi Outpost for its unassuming backpack look.

Last edited by Kaydee; 01-21-13 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-21-13, 07:19 AM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

I just got a Tenba Shootout medium-sized pack and I love it. I have space for 2 bodies, all of my lenses, my GoPro setup, and my laptop with not much room to spare.

I'm not sure if it has enough of that unassuming backpack look for you though. It has more of a heavy-duty look to it.
Old 01-21-13, 09:56 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

I like wheels that the "Take-Off" has when having to travel. The integrated back packs like this are because they can do dual duty and not have to be shoulder slung or back carried.

IDK if you carry a tripod, I stopped into Really Right Stuff last week and the sales associate gave a good demo, I have this one in mind but also thought of this CF tripod for travel:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...-Tripod&key=it

Old 01-21-13, 11:09 AM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
I have covered all the focal lengths I use the most often. So unless I can find a really really good deal on a 28 1.8, I should be pretty good for awhile in terms of lenses. Bags on the other hand....I need a new one to fit all these gears together...any suggestions. Leaning towards the ThinkTank airport series or the Crumpler Karachi Outpost for its unassuming backpack look.
I have the small Karachi and it's a good bag. Plenty comfortable and like you mentioned it looks like a regular backpack. It does have a handful of issues though. The odd teardrop shape makes it hard to maximize the space. I can fit my D7k w/ 24-70 and battery grip attached, 35mm, and either another short lens (i.e. 10-24) or a SB-600. If I try to put my 70-200 on, I might be able to fit a 35mm in the bag as well but it'll be tight. It's also not a bag to get if you plan on putting your camera away regularly since you have to take it off to access the zipper. Last annoyance is that the dividers don't seem to adhere that well. There are times that I'll open the bag at the end of they day and see a divider hanging there and stuff sitting on top of stuff at the bottom

I'll snap a few quick pics when I get home later today so you can get an idea of the space available
Old 01-21-13, 01:40 PM
Allen K
Epic Allen

Pardon the cell phone pics but here are a few of the small vs the 7 Million Dollar Home

With everything zipped up tight:

And here is the things I threw in: D7k with battery grip and 24-70, up top is a 85 1.4 and 10-24. Bottom right corner is a 35mm 1.8 DX.

If you want anything more specific just let me know
Old 01-21-13, 05:45 PM
Kaydee

I won't be using the bag for travelling or carrying my gear in it on photowalks; I have my thinktank messenger bag for that. This new bag will mostly be for if I need to move all my stuff including laptop and its accesories. So I don't need it to have that unassuming look even though having that quality would be appreciated.

There is a store here that has the Karachi. And I do understand that sloping profile that kind of makes the bag smaller than it is. One thing that I found weird was the plastic mesh bit between the camera and laptop compartment. Was confused as to how that would help. I haven't really brought all my stuff over to try it out, so I can't say how it would hold up. Right now the thinktank is in the running because I've had a good expereince with them.

But seeing that this bag will never see any action. I might just opt for the ugliest bag I can find that can fit all my camera gear and 15 inch laptop.
Old 01-21-13, 05:47 PM
Kaydee

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
I like wheels that the "Take-Off" has when having to travel. The integrated back packs like this are because they can do dual duty and not have to be shoulder slung or back carried.

IDK if you carry a tripod, I stopped into Really Right Stuff last week and the sales associate gave a good demo, I have this one in mind but also thought of this CF tripod for travel:

I do carry the tripod only for dedicated night shoots in Shanghai. I tend to favor the gorillapod whenever I'm travelling away from home. But say I move back to Vancouver, I just remove the ballhead and stuff in with the rest of my clothes and check it in baggage. I don't really use the tripod very often these days, so upgrading my one least used equipment is sort of moot for me. In fact, if I can't make room for it if I move somewhere, I might just sell it. I've used it like 4-5 times the 2.5 years that I'm here lol

Last edited by Kaydee; 01-21-13 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 07:24 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Since you got me on the battery grip, it doesn't fit the 5 Million Dollar bag very well. The 6 or 7 is on the list and some of the packs. The Sinking Barge Deluxe, Enthusiast and the one you are considering is also in mind but may be a bit big. Glad Allen posted pics to see them both.
Old 01-21-13, 07:45 PM
Kaydee

believe it or not I was sporting the 5 million dolalr home when I was still shooting with a gripped D90. You shift some things around and the whole thing fits. I was quite happy with that for awhile, it was small and very maneuverable anywhere. The fact that it's got some awesome padding and decent waterproofness were all great points. But secretly I was eyeing the Thinktank Retrospective series...I waited for like a year for the price to come down, but they never did, so one day I decided to jump on one and it's now the bag I carry almost with me anywhere I go. The padding is not great, but its lightness means that it easily contours to your body. And I believe that it has the best shoulder pad of any messenger bags out there -- a fact I can vouch for having the bag over my shoulders for 10 hours in Tokyo.

I tried the Sinking Barge, and I feel that the camera compartment is too small for me and wouldn't be much of an upgrade over the Lowepro Fastpack 250 that I have.

Last edited by Kaydee; 01-21-13 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-21-13, 08:04 PM
Allen K
Epic Allen

The mesh is there because you can pull the entire camera compartment out and use it as a regular backpack. Not all that great as a regular backpack
Old 01-21-13, 11:33 PM
Kaydee

ohh I guess that would make sense. I didn't remember that you can take the camera compartment out.

On another note, I just saw a Domke 418 bag on BH marked down almost 40%. That is looking mouthwatering indeed. Domke Bag

Somebody should jump on this. I don't think I'm gonna get a bag, I might just make do with what I already have. I've been spending way too much lately.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The "Look what I got today!" Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: