dedicated cameras vs. cell phones - colliding - Page 5 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

dedicated cameras vs. cell phones - colliding

Old 09-02-15, 10:08 AM   #61
RA40

When Canon put video into the 5D-2 those of us shooting stills were . That "feature" is here to stay. Plenty of jerky videos on You Tube from all kinds of sources. By the time one finishes with a stabilizer, mic and necessary editing software, simple videos can be $ to do well. Key word well. The gear becomes heavy and bulky for all day carry.

On our proposed trip, I have been thinking of a suction cup ball head mount, stabilizer and external mic to get some video of the locations. Focusing the SLR takes practice-technique so that translates to a video cam or small P&S with decent features. In combination with SLR, video camera and phone three separate devices on hand.

A friend has an Apple 6+ and the vids look good on the phone screen. How well that translates onto a 1080P sized monitor/TV is another.
RA40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 12:33 AM   #62
LoveThatV8
Pole Position

This was with my iPhone 6 Plus not altered. I thought it was cool but I've always wanted that dslr look a regular camera has.
LoveThatV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-15, 10:12 PM   #63
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

nice shot, but the bright background is 'blown out' (maybe your adjustments did it by brightening the whole picture vs just boosting the shadow areas).
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-16, 03:55 PM   #64
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

well, resurrecting this thread as things keep progressing.

on a recent trip i had the usual 'leave the dslr at home and use phone only, or bring it?' decision. i brought it, but about 80% of the shots i took with my phone (google nexus 6p). apart from shots in very low light or tricky low light situations needing flash, the phone photos came out great. the ones i took with the dslr (5dmkiii) were of course 'better' with more detail and more dynamic range - i think the detail comes more from the resolving power of the much bigger lens than the camera part.

the biggest annoyance i have with my dslr is no way to get the photos off camera while on vacation (i had an ipad but no 'camera kit'). the first question i get from anyone when i take a pic with my dslr is "can you send it to me?"
i'm thinking of getting the camfi widget which would let me send photos directly from canon to ipad anywhere

meanwhile i still don't see any dslr/mirrorless that holds any interest. i guess with the demand drop the r&d budgets have been cut, so very little genuinely new is out except the amazing but complex and quirky sony a7rii, but then sony just doesn't have the lenses and getting the metabones adapter a) adds $400 to entry and b) makes the small camera even more ridiculous attached to the adapter and quality lenses.

anyway, it seems even sony, which has had a barage of new cameras (mostly mirrorless it seems) had sales go DOWN in 2015, except for lens sales, but that except is probably only because their lens sales stink either way but they're starting to get a few more. canon and nikon have got to be hurting big time on camera sales.

the rate of progress on cell phone cameras and apps is very high so the 'need' the the dslr will continue to drop except for die hard enthusiasts and pros.
Old 02-04-16, 11:55 AM   #65
RA40

The social media uses makes cell phones a great choice for images and video. Some of the apps that automatically "fix" a shot are becoming pretty remarkable. Color balance, highlight recovery and some shadow. I'd been looking at one users pics and asked what gear they take along and he waved his phone. I didn't get to purse the topic any further because he had to go.

A buddy had told me that Canon is going to have a new mirrorless rig to go with the updates in the SLR line. 4K isn't a feature I'll use. Overall I'm not really excited about gear. I'd been pondering a Canon G5X P&S but that phase has passed. The software capabilities are more exciting.
Old 02-05-16, 07:21 PM   #66
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

I'm interested in gear that's more portable without quality sacrifices. Not quite there yet but close. The new sony a6300 seems remarkable... Will wait to hear about image quality. I'm not a big video guy yet but been playing with it a bit more recently... Oh yeah, on my phone not my dlsr.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-06-16 at 02:58 PM.
Old 02-05-16, 07:36 PM   #67
RA40

These days many of these small cameras do 720P good enough, 1080P can run a range. Much depends on the video editing capabilities of the user.

A few weeks back I took the 5D with the 40mm and walked down the street with it. The results video quality wise are good and I can see why this body is so popular for video. Personally I feel this is a large rig to carry and a smaller package would be desired. That Sony a6300 seems like a very good camera for stills and video.
Old 02-06-16, 02:59 PM   #68
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

i always forget, u have a 5dmkiii or mkii?
Old 02-06-16, 07:07 PM   #69
RA40

The III. I'd have to use a new phone to see how they do. I'm not on that cell phone treadmill so the tech has changed drastically. The wife's aging Galaxy II is well removed from current still and video capabilities.
Old 02-09-16, 03:40 PM   #70
1111GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
nice shot, but the bright background is 'blown out' (maybe your adjustments did it by brightening the whole picture vs just boosting the shadow areas).
IMO he was in a difficult spot to get the shot to begin with, even with a DSLR. Now if he had turned on HDR, the picture would not have looked so blown out. I think phones/iPhones have gone really far but they are still phones. When the light goes down, the discrepancy goes up ...fast. I use my phone more often but still bring the big camera and flash when I want to take pictures. Similarly the DSLRs have gone far but can't really replace professional video recorders.
1111GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-16, 03:53 PM   #71
1111GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
...A friend has an Apple 6+ and the vids look good on the phone screen. How well that translates onto a 1080P sized monitor/TV is another.
When there is enough light and you are close enough, the quality is really good. It looks even better when you stream onto a high quality big screen. But when you are not close, or there is not enough light, it is no where near a DSLR with a low aperture lens.
1111GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-16, 10:22 PM   #72
chikoo
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
well, resurrecting this thread as things keep progressing.

on a recent trip i had the usual 'leave the dslr at home and use phone only, or bring it?' decision. i brought it, but about 80% of the shots i took with my phone (google nexus 6p). apart from shots in very low light or tricky low light situations needing flash, the phone photos came out great. the ones i took with the dslr (5dmkiii) were of course 'better' with more detail and more dynamic range - i think the detail comes more from the resolving power of the much bigger lens than the camera part.

the biggest annoyance i have with my dslr is no way to get the photos off camera while on vacation (i had an ipad but no 'camera kit'). the first question i get from anyone when i take a pic with my dslr is "can you send it to me?"
i'm thinking of getting the camfi widget which would let me send photos directly from canon to ipad anywhere

meanwhile i still don't see any dslr/mirrorless that holds any interest. i guess with the demand drop the r&d budgets have been cut, so very little genuinely new is out except the amazing but complex and quirky sony a7rii, but then sony just doesn't have the lenses and getting the metabones adapter a) adds $400 to entry and b) makes the small camera even more ridiculous attached to the adapter and quality lenses.

anyway, it seems even sony, which has had a barage of new cameras (mostly mirrorless it seems) had sales go DOWN in 2015, except for lens sales, but that except is probably only because their lens sales stink either way but they're starting to get a few more. canon and nikon have got to be hurting big time on camera sales.

the rate of progress on cell phone cameras and apps is very high so the 'need' the the dslr will continue to drop except for die hard enthusiasts and pros.
Doesn't canon have an app so that you can connect your iPad/iPhone to your camera as a wifi hotspot through which you can transfer reduced size images to the device?
chikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-16, 05:34 AM   #73
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikoo View Post
Doesn't canon have an app so that you can connect your iPad/iPhone to your camera as a wifi hotspot through which you can transfer reduced size images to the device?
well first of all canon dslr's don't have wifi.

there's a new relatively unheard of accessory called a cam-fi, which does what you're talking about. i've considered getting one...
http://www.cam-fi.com/en/index.html
Amazon.com: CamFi CF101 Wireless Remote Camera Controller, Capture & Transmit Wirelessly Instantly on Tablets, iPhone, PC, or TV (Camera NOT Included): Electronics Amazon.com: CamFi CF101 Wireless Remote Camera Controller, Capture & Transmit Wirelessly Instantly on Tablets, iPhone, PC, or TV (Camera NOT Included): Electronics

ok, after reading the above links again, i just ordered one.
Old 03-19-17, 12:06 PM   #74
RA40

This thought is in mind year after year and observing what the masses are using fr their capture device. I feel he says this well:

Old 03-20-17, 06:22 AM   #75
bitkahuna
resisting entropy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
I feel he says this well:
well he said an awful lot to say "use what you have on hand".

i am more and more impressed by the results from my phone. i also love the ease and smarts with which i can do panoramic multi-shots.
still need my DSLR for pro work, but for personal shots, less and less.