Wedding photography style - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Digital Photography Discuss how to take the best digital photos of your Lexus & other subjects

Wedding photography style

Old 06-25-10, 01:27 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Default Wedding photography style

It's been a while since we had our wedding, photography technology and style has changed lots in that time span.

Some younger friends of ours recently got married and they asked me to review the shots that had been taken. Images were taken with a 7D and 50D using 10-24mm and 17-85. Of some 490 frames, many are in the 12-22mm wide range and even on a crop body...there is significant distortion present at these focal lengths. Bowed torso's, wider stretched arms...but what I noticed an abundance of were low level upward shots of the couple. There were also many diagonal horizon shots present. Like any ultra wide, the DOF is huge so from inches to infinity it is sharp. IMO, it created lots of distraction since I can see everything in focus along with many other subjects within the frame.

The bride asked what can be done since it made her arms, face look exaggerated...as in heavier than she really is and out of proportion. As well, since the wide angle views captured extra details, she asked if the additional people and other hardware be removed. Looking around the net for current wedding shots, it seems that this a common style of wedding photography. (changing times I suppose)

Those of you that shoot peeps, what is your lens of choice for this type of event shooting? On crop and FF bodies.
Old 06-25-10, 02:36 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

well wide angle lens tends to do that. But if used right can make for interesting pics.
Old 06-25-10, 08:17 PM
whoster
Lexus Fanatic

www.jessicaclaire.net

http://blog.thebecker.com

http://www.jasminestarblog.com/index.cfm

I'd say they're leading wedding photographers in the industry today (all based out of Orange County!)

and their secret seems to be big-aperture lenses for a nice creamy background and a lot of shooting with primes and dedicated zooms.

http://blog.kennykim.com/ (he's based out of Chicago, but his style's pretty cool too)
Old 06-25-10, 09:05 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Majority of them time I'm using a combo of the Nikon D300s w/ 12-24mm (big group shots) or the 70-200mm VR and D700 with the 24-70mm. The D700 w/ the 24-70mm is the main set up and can pretty much take care of the wide so in a wedding, the ultra wide isn't used as much unless its when people are partying and letting loose. I'm not so much for extreme distortion. I've seen photogs use fish eye lenses at a wedding and I am puzzled sometimes.
Old 06-25-10, 09:25 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Thanks whoster!

These are tight shots...well done and visually, the composition has a main subject and supporting subjects in the frame. The ones this couple gave me have so much surrounding detail I feel it is an architectural study with people included. Good study info for me...I'm out of touch with people shots and these help.

The last wedding I did some 15 years ago in 35mm size was done with a 50 and 80-200mm. The bulk of those were at 80-125mm. I may have an opportunity at an upcoming shoot so I'll probably rent an 80-200/2.8 and 135L though my buddy said the 85mm might be better since the 135 might be a touch long.

Thoughts?

Last edited by RA40; 06-25-10 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-26-10, 03:28 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Thanks ek9vboi...

Some of the ultra wide shots look interesting due to the distortion though I was at a loss as to why so many included this lens. After a perspective adjustment, to my eyes, it works nicer. By then though, cropping down the frame does not leave much, losing about 30-40%.
Old 06-29-10, 12:55 PM
junjdm
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by whoster View Post
www.jessicaclaire.net

http://blog.thebecker.com

http://www.jasminestarblog.com/index.cfm

I'd say they're leading wedding photographers in the industry today (all based out of Orange County!)

and their secret seems to be big-aperture lenses for a nice creamy background and a lot of shooting with primes and dedicated zooms.

http://blog.kennykim.com/ (he's based out of Chicago, but his style's pretty cool too)

some nice work i see in there........
Old 07-02-10, 05:03 PM
spot9
Rookie

Originally Posted by RA40 View Post
The bride asked what can be done since it made her arms, face look exaggerated...as in heavier than she really is and out of proportion. As well, since the wide angle views captured extra details, she asked if the additional people and other hardware be removed. Looking around the net for current wedding shots, it seems that this a common style of wedding photography. (changing times I suppose)

Those of you that shoot peeps, what is your lens of choice for this type of event shooting? On crop and FF bodies.
to fix that stuff, learn the liquidfy tool and how to use it. as for taking things out, learn how to use the clone and stamp tools. for lenses, my weapon of choice for portraits is the 135 f2L, and the 50 f1.4 on a full frame body.

the wedding photographer id endorse: Ed Pingol

This portrait was shot with a friend's 5DMkII + 85 1.4 wide open:
Old 07-04-10, 11:19 AM
Percy
Moderator - Electronics Forum

I've noticed that the photographers listed have a very SLOPPY style for composition. Lots of wasted space and generally not following the rules of thirds or diagonals. RA40 - yes, I do believe that it's a fad or a "new look" that shouldn't have been introduced at all. It SCREAMS ROOKIE PHOTOGRAPHER.

Unfortunately, the Chicago based art school students are doing this too. They think it's the NEW look, the NEWER is BETTER mantra. Hopefully this "look" will die soon.

Wedding photography should be elegant, classy and graceful. Journalism added if you're skilled.

The wide angle lenses should be used TASTEFULLY. By photographing a woman in a bad and awkward angle (especially on a boat shot or anywhere else) does not flatter them in any way, shape or form. One of the boat pictures with the couple seems to magnify her hips. And it's bad positioning. But, alas, many newbies tend to do this.

Whoster - Those are the "best" in Orange county? Bring em over to me. I'll school them. R. Lee Ermey with Miyagi style. That is, I'll try to have a sense of humor with them.

There was a high school student that had the same type of style. Relied too much on photochop. Her compositional skills were awful, and she was voted as "best and most artistic" in her high school She now does club photography - no real challenge there. Just her, her camera with an ultra wide angle. Same type of style as the links listed.

I'd rather have photography look like the style linked below. He's a decent photographer. Also are some other links by other photographers. Worth a look.

http://www.denisreggie.com/

http://photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/00V98v

I know the question will eventually pop up so I'll list out the equipment that I use for weddings.

Canon 1D Mark IV, Canon 1ds Mark III, 24 1.4L EF II, 85 1.2L EF II, 50 2.5, 200 f/1.8L EF. 550ex flash. Oldie but goodie. Quantum 2x2 pack and lots of AA batteries.

If I'm on a "lazy shoot", I'll just substitute the 200 1.8 for the 70-200 2.8L EF. Note that I prefer the large aperture lenses for blown out backgrounds.

Get it right the first time rather than rely on photochop. Photochop only when necessary - it saves time and energy.

Last edited by Percy; 07-04-10 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-04-10, 01:13 PM
RA40
Super Moderator

Thanks for the confirmation Percy.

I had a look at the local bookstore WRT wedding photography. Here again were more use of the ultra wide. Some were well done but to my eyes, it is a fail. The unnatural distortion doesn't represent the human eye view of reality, thus it is not a model for how I would shoot. This was an interesting case study and I've learned plenty.
Old 07-04-10, 04:03 PM
whoster
Lexus Fanatic

Denis Reggie is great.

I don't know if Joe Buissink is still shooting...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wedding photography style

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: