Notices
CT 200h Model (2011-present)

inner taillight - Does it turn on?

Old 06-10-19, 08:43 AM
14ct200h
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default inner taillight - Does it turn on?

Anyone have a picture of their inner tail light on during night? Can we put a led light into this? Mine has nothing on, is this normal?
Old 06-10-19, 09:15 AM
E46CT
Lexus Champion

Received 375 Likes on 299 Posts

Normal. US regulation prohibits the lights from being on a panel that moves (such as tailgates or trunk lids)

I'd love to make it light up too. I imagine it's not that hard. but just involves too much work than i'd like to put into it.
Old 06-10-19, 09:50 PM
fiveainone
Driver School Candidate

You could always give this a try and let us know the results

Old 06-11-19, 07:09 AM
14ct200h
Rookie

Sponsorship and I'll install it? :-)
Old 06-11-19, 07:38 AM
E46CT
Lexus Champion

I'd consider a nice aftermarket tail light option but those look like garbage in normal light. You can even see some of the cheapness there in that marketing photo
Old 06-11-19, 04:26 PM
ddonalds
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The small clear section on the passenger side of the tailgate has a bulb in it on mine
Old 06-12-19, 09:20 AM
spiral
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post
Normal. US regulation prohibits the lights from being on a panel that moves (such as tailgates or trunk lids)

I'd love to make it light up too. I imagine it's not that hard. but just involves too much work than i'd like to put into it.
haha, i never thought about this. damn you, i stared at every car on my way to work this morning. One thing i noticed, the inner lights on other cars were illuminated when the lights were on and also housed the reverse lights. So i take that to mean that the outer lights are regulated for turn indicators and braking??
Old 06-14-19, 12:51 PM
E46CT
Lexus Champion

Yes there's a ton considered when lighting is designed. Little is left to chance.

The regulation in question specifically has to do with stop lamps being required to be on a fixed rigid body. So nothing movable.

So Lexus could've lit the inner rears, but that would increase cost and probably not look so good when the brakes are pressed. So seems they just left it blank altogether. it does look weird blank though. I'd love to rig some LEDs up to it.
The following users liked this post:
spiral (06-14-19)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: