ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   CT 200h Model (2011-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-200h-model-2011-2017-233/)
-   -   inner taillight - Does it turn on? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-200h-model-2011-2017/920491-inner-taillight-does-it-turn-on.html)

14ct200h 06-10-19 08:43 AM

inner taillight - Does it turn on?

Anyone have a picture of their inner tail light on during night? Can we put a led light into this? Mine has nothing on, is this normal?

E46CT 06-10-19 09:15 AM

Normal. US regulation prohibits the lights from being on a panel that moves (such as tailgates or trunk lids)

I'd love to make it light up too. I imagine it's not that hard. but just involves too much work than i'd like to put into it.

fiveainone 06-10-19 09:50 PM

You could always give this a try and let us know the results :)

14ct200h 06-11-19 07:09 AM

Sponsorship and I'll install it? :-)

E46CT 06-11-19 07:38 AM

I'd consider a nice aftermarket tail light option but those look like garbage in normal light. You can even see some of the cheapness there in that marketing photo

ddonalds 06-11-19 04:26 PM

The small clear section on the passenger side of the tailgate has a bulb in it on mine

spiral 06-12-19 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10538146)
Normal. US regulation prohibits the lights from being on a panel that moves (such as tailgates or trunk lids)

I'd love to make it light up too. I imagine it's not that hard. but just involves too much work than i'd like to put into it.

haha, i never thought about this. damn you, i stared at every car on my way to work this morning. One thing i noticed, the inner lights on other cars were illuminated when the lights were on and also housed the reverse lights. So i take that to mean that the outer lights are regulated for turn indicators and braking??

E46CT 06-14-19 12:51 PM

Yes there's a ton considered when lighting is designed. Little is left to chance.

The regulation in question specifically has to do with stop lamps being required to be on a fixed rigid body. So nothing movable.

So Lexus could've lit the inner rears, but that would increase cost and probably not look so good when the brakes are pressed. So seems they just left it blank altogether. it does look weird blank though. I'd love to rig some LEDs up to it.

sjw91 06-23-19 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10541538)
Yes there's a ton considered when lighting is designed. Little is left to chance.

The regulation in question specifically has to do with stop lamps being required to be on a fixed rigid body. So nothing movable.

So Lexus could've lit the inner rears, but that would increase cost and probably not look so good when the brakes are pressed. So seems they just left it blank altogether. it does look weird blank though. I'd love to rig some LEDs up to it.

I was behind an Audi Q5 today, and this thread came to mind. All the lights are on the hatch, not the body. Are SUVs exempt from the regulation?

E46CT 06-24-19 08:56 AM

I believe in those cases, regulation require backup lights to be on the bumper.

sjw91 06-24-19 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10549283)
I believe in those cases, regulation require backup lights to be on the bumper. see video here

That makes sense. Thanks.

E46CT 06-24-19 09:33 AM

Yeah makes little sense in terms of practicality. I think they're trying to prevent the off chance that someone goes to home depot, loads something in the back and drives w/ the hatch open and has no brake lights or turn signals.

sjw91 06-24-19 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10549321)
Yeah makes little sense in terms of practicality. I think they're trying to prevent the off chance that someone goes to home depot, loads something in the back and drives w/ the hatch open and has no brake lights or turn signals.

Exactly. The Audi may possibly have a wider opening, but no one would see their brake lights if they're bringing home a new water heater.