Aux audio socket-hide wiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-19, 12:26 AM
djc45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aux audio socket-hide wiring

Hi,
This is my first post, as I have only just bought my 2011 non-nav CT200h, and don’t collect it until next weekend. I’m just trying to get organised for the various things I need to do to make the car work for me the way I need it to.

I’m in Scotland, and over here we have a DAB (digital audio broadcasting) radio system, as well as the fm and am bands. Unfortunately, the CT that I found did not have the DAB module fitted, and the solution I’m going to go with is to install the Pure Highway 600 DAB adapter. The visibly unit attaches to a dash mount, and is powered by batteries. The windscreen aerial with receiver needs a power feed, but I reckon I can run the cable behind the headlining in the roof and down the pillar to the fuse box without difficulty. The issue is how I get the audio cable connected to the stock head unit.

Looking at the location of the audio jack socket in the centre console , it seems like there is no way to have a cable plugged in and have the access door closed. My question is, 1) Has anyone explored a way to neatly route an aux audio cable into the compartment with the jack socket from below, so the little door can be closed during operation. Or alternatively, 2) Is there any other aux in audio socket, behind the dash?

I know that I could use the fm transmitter function of the adapter instead, but I would get a drop in sound quality. As I’m also considering using the Bluetooth function of the Pure Highway for my phone and music streaming, instead of the Lexus system, as the highway has a button that will activate Siri, without touching my iPhone itself, I want the sound quality to be decent. 3) Unless there is a way to activate Siri using a Lexus button, maybe someone could answer that for me as well.

Sorry for all the questions, but I really want to get the functionality I need, without spoiling the look of my Lexus interior.
I really do appreciate any help, or advice.
Thanks
Duncan.

Last edited by djc45; 05-27-19 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-28-19, 07:04 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I really can't offer much help with any sort of concrete answers. I have yet to tear into my dash. If it aint broke...

Yeah, power should be pretty easy, does the unit need 12v constant (to remember presets), 12v switched (off when the car is off), or both?

For the line connection, fingers crossed they have a secondary input...but I would wager quite a bit that it does not. If it were me, I would remove the center console to get at the connections for the aux jack and either remove the jack from the plastic and leave the connection in the space below...or make up a new jack from the wiring and place it where you want it. Not ideal, but prolly better than leaving the door open if that's your wishes. Me, we tend to always have something plugged into the aux jack and the usb, so that door hasn't been closed in 6 years, doesn't really seem to be a big issue in the way...but does collect a lot of dust/debris.

If you can hardwire the device, go that route. FM transmitters have never been that great to use, imo. 2011 was still pretty new with the integrated hands-free systems. I know my siri has activated with the car buttons, but it's always been happenstance, so not sure if it is a feature or glitch. I don't use siri, so never pay much mind to it. But once you get the DAB connected, I'd prolly just stick with using that, seems like it does a good job being an all around device to interact with the phone.

I hope someone that has gotten into this can provide better guidance and correct all my guesstimations
Old 05-28-19, 09:00 AM
djc45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks spiral, that’s helpful.