CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

EGR Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-19, 08:17 AM
TheRob
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default EGR Questions

Hello there. I just recently joined the forums after lurking on here for a while. I’ve noticed lots of posts on the EGR issues. Seems like a common thing with the CT200h. I have 2015 CT200h that I just recently bought used from Autonation Honda. Purchased it with 98,892 miles and now I’m just over 100,000 miles.

My questions are all CT200h models prone to the EGR issues? Is it a matter of cleaning out the EGR pipe as a part of regular maintenance to prevent the issues from occurring?

I really love my CT200h. But I’m really concerned about these issues.

Last edited by TheRob; 04-07-19 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-08-19, 07:06 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm no expert on the different years, but I believe they were all the same 2zr engine, so therefore yes, it should be a concern. There is more to clean than just the pipe though. You should clean the EGR Cooler, EGR Valve, EGR Elbow (between valve and pipe), EGR Pipe, as well as the Intake Manifold, throttle body, and the intake ports of the head. Seems like a lot, but it shouldn't be too hard if they are only moderately dirty and you're only doing it maybe 1x per year.

I only suggest all those items as my EGR pipe was dirty, but could still pass air, but my cooler and valve were 100% blocked. It took 4 wks of soaking, rinsing, ez off cleaner, etc the cooler to finally get air to blow through it. I would also do the cleaning now before it gets worse making it harder to clean later. With that many miles in the short life, the PO most likely did a lot of highway miles (using the ICE more often).

Also, pictures are always fun
Old 04-08-19, 12:58 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

2014 and up (facelift) saw revisions in the design of the intake manifold and a few other related parts. My guess is these revisions help mitigate, but probably not completely eliminate the concern.

Owning a '15, i'd think of it as less of a worry. but you are at 100k, so as a precaution, i'd at least pull these parts and inspect them at the very least.

Frequent oil changes probably wouldn't hurt either. 5-7k OCIs.
Old 04-08-19, 01:27 PM
sjw91
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Does the CT require removal of the windshield wiper motor and cowl assembly to get to the EGR cooler, like the Prius does? At first glance, it appears we have a little more room under the hood.
Old 04-08-19, 01:33 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't done it but from what I've seen yes you would remove the cowl. It would at least make things a ton easier.
The following users liked this post:
Rezaxxed (05-31-22)
Old 04-08-19, 05:07 PM
TheRob
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the response guys! How much you guys think it would cost to get a mechanic to do this job? Just a rough estimate. I never really done much under the hood before except change out an alternator on my previous Lexus which was an ES 330 and that was with help from a friend. Also changed the the low beams on the CT from halogen to fan less LED bulbs, fog lights too and side mirror courtesy lights. I’ve installed a new driver side fender liner because it was pretty banged up when I got the CT. I’m willing to do this job myself just scared to mess up something.

I found this video on YouTube

Is this pretty much what I have to do? Anyone have any other videos they can share on how to get this job done.

Originally Posted by spiral
Also, pictures are always fun
Here’s one picture after I got it detailed. Will post more soon.

Old 04-08-19, 06:35 PM
spiral
Pit Crew

Imo the video only shows 5% of the job. The other side of my valve was completely clogged as well as the cooler. The pipe was the least of my worries.

Not sure what a mechanic would charge, might be pretty pricy as it requires disassembly time, then cleaning time depending on how dirty, then reinstall. Maybe a couple days total. I think I read that most dealers say it’s just cheaper to put in new parts.

To disassemble yourself just takes time. Prolly longer the first time, but if your gonna clean it a few times, it will be a lot quicker. Only requires a couple sockets (10 & 12 mm I believe). You could clean it over a weekend and back in business Sunday night.

I like this guy’s video better:
Old 04-08-19, 06:54 PM
sjw91
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's a section of the Prius service manual for removal steps to go along with the videos.
Old 04-09-19, 08:29 AM
CTLemon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation EGR heads up!

My experience is that you need to make sure everything you've been told to do in prior threads is done in terms of cleaning. Check to see if your CT was part of the EGR recall. I can tell you first hand that if you don't keep on top of all the cleaning it can lead to a blown head gasket which is not cheap!
Old 04-09-19, 08:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I think when I do this, I'm just going to buy a new EGR cooler and new intake manifold. Should be around $500. Not going to mess with cleaning stuff. $500 for another 100-125k miles is a steal. Especially considering how cheap the car is to run and maintain otherwise.
Old 04-09-19, 11:59 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

That's not bad if you can get the parts for less than $500. The EGR cooler itself is $377, The EGR Valve is $302, the intake manifold is $277, plus all the additional gaskets from mylparts.com. Certainly saves you time and energy from having to cleans them dirty *** parts. I certainly have not found enjoyment cleaning my cooler. I haven't even touched the intake manifold yet.
Old 04-09-19, 12:08 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by spiral
That's not bad if you can get the parts for less than $500. The EGR cooler itself is $377, The EGR Valve is $302, the intake manifold is $277, plus all the additional gaskets from mylparts.com. Certainly saves you time and energy from having to cleans them dirty *** parts. I certainly have not found enjoyment cleaning my cooler. I haven't even touched the intake manifold yet.
First try on google. Turns out I overestimated. $450 for both. You can probably get them a bit cheaper if you're savvy too and call individual dealers and ask for discounts.

EGR cooler: $249 https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.c...BoCbZwQAvD_BwE
Intake manifold: $201 https://toyotaparts.mcgeorgetoyota.c...BoCTvoQAvD_BwE
EGR valve: $234 https://parts.longotoyota.com/oem-pa...xoC0fMQAvD_BwE

You could probably clean the valve really easily since it's so small. but for the parts that have all the internal passages and are large in size, I'd just replace w/ new.
Old 04-09-19, 12:11 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Also there's a couple dealers in AZ that smoke the entire internet for oem parts prices. haven't even tried them. luckily I only have 44444 miles so no need to do this yet.
Old 04-09-19, 12:11 PM
TheRob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
I think when I do this, I'm just going to buy a new EGR cooler and new intake manifold. Should be around $500. Not going to mess with cleaning stuff. $500 for another 100-125k miles is a steal. Especially considering how cheap the car is to run and maintain otherwise.
Yea it does seem cheaper to just replace the parts. I’m going to ask the mechanic i give my car to, who works at Lexus. At what point do you guys think I should consider changing the parts out? I probably shouldn’t wait till something happens right? I don’t ruin anything else like the head gasket and have to pay more money. Does a check engine light code come up? Before disasters happens.
Old 04-09-19, 12:16 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Either a CEL or rough running condition on startup. Just my general thoughts on this, I won't start worrying about it until I reach 100k. Then I'd at least pull at least the EGR pipe and throttle body to at least see how they look (easily accessible/easily removed). So around 100-125k is when I'd start seriously developing a game plan for what I want to do--either clean or replace. Since you're at 100k, pull the pipe and throttle body. It will give you some indication as to how your particular car is faring. Some cars build faster than others.

I'd say if your pipe is super crusty, you should give the whole thing some serious thought

you can do these things yourself with simple hand tools.

Quick Reply: EGR Questions