CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

EGR Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-19, 12:18 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

You may even find that your car looks immaculate at 100k. Lexus/Toyota did revise the manifold for 2014+ models. Not sure how much that helps or what specifically the changes were.
Old 04-09-19, 01:16 PM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

When my HG blew, i never got a CEL. We had about 4 rough starts, but only in the morning and spanned a week. I stupidly tried fixing without searching the forums, so maybe I could have headed things off at the pass sooner?? At 200k, my cooler and valve were 100% blocked. To me that means that the HG was more than likely already starting to suffer. So, imo, i would at least pull the cooler at 100k and see if you can blow through it and inspect all the other parts. If they are good, put 'em back in and recheck in another 40-50k miles or once a year which ever comes first. If you can't easily blow air through the cooler, replace.

ECT, good point on the valve. this is a pretty easy part to get clean. I also used "lexus" pricing. I called toyota once to get a part and innocently told them that it was for a ct. The parts guy instantly turned me down and said they can't sell parts for "lexus" even though they share parts. Called back the next day asking for the part for a prius and they sold it to me. haha.
Old 04-09-19, 01:30 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

haha.. i would've said some nice words to that parts guy.

you can buy anything from any dealer at any time. it's none of their business. tell then it's for a space ship. or for your living room wall. or for a tonka truck. none. of. their. business.
The following users liked this post:
spiral (04-09-19)
Old 04-09-19, 01:43 PM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Wink

In their defense, it was something i didn't research beforehand, so I didn't have a part #. So when they asked what kind of car it was, I was honest. I had called Toyota because they are closer to where I work and would be able to go pick up the part sooner than having to wait for a day off to get it from lexus. He made it sound like they could get in trouble with corporate if they found out parts were being used for a lexus. Like exclusivity issues i guess?!? so lesson learned: either directly ask for the part using it's number or just say gen 3 prius (and laugh at them when you pick up the part driving the ct
Old 04-09-19, 01:56 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I used to go to the dealer to get M3 parts for my 3 series. and they'd ask what car is it for. rather than deal with the whole "DUR U SUR IT FITS THO?" i just say "m3" lol

i too hate lying but sometimes it's the fastest way between point a and b.
Old 04-09-19, 02:10 PM
TheRob
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a thought for this sub forum. Don’t you guys think we should have a sticky on everything about these EGR issues. Maybe someone can make a really constructive post about the issue. Like have a FAQ, pictures, links to video, recommendations and etc. As much information as possible in one post. Considering this is a common thing with the CT, I think it would good to have a sticky on this.
Old 04-09-19, 02:12 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TheRob
Just a thought for this sub forum. Don’t you guys think we should have a sticky on everything about these EGR issues. Maybe someone can make a really constructive post about the issue. Like have a FAQ, pictures, links to video, recommendations and etc. As much information as possible in one post. Considering this is a common thing with the CT, I think it would good to have a sticky on this.
there's a ton more info at priuschat. just google priuschat egr or prius egr and there's multitudes of pages of discussion on it for the 3rd gen prius. identical powertrain to our cars.
Old 04-09-19, 11:05 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I did the EGR/ EGR cooler, and pipe cleaning at 70k. I think the ideal time to clean is at 60k. There is no need to replace the parts if cleaned early enough. I just used 3 cans of Brake Kleen and it easily dissolved all the gunk for all 3 parts and they looked brand new after I was done. Didn't take more than 30 minutes to clean those parts. I plan on doing the next clean at about 110k and and drain and replace the coolant since that's the recommendation for replacement, it was a bit messy since I didn't pinch the coolant hoses properly when I did the cleaning. Also will replace the plugs then. I am planning to clean the intake manifold in the upcoming weeks when I can find the time. i did notice about a 2-3 mpg improvement after the clean.
The following 2 users liked this post by KKM:
BensCT (04-10-19), RitcheyRch (04-10-19)
Old 04-10-19, 11:47 AM
BensCT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a 2011 ct200h with 150K. I started having the engine knocking problem with CEL showing cylinder misfire. The engine knocking happens randomly at stop and go traffic and at morning start-up. I did some research, changed the spark plugs and ignition coil, did several bottles of fuel injector cleaning, bought and installed the updated manifold, and did the egr pipe cleaning. The car runs much smoother with better milage. But random cold start engine knocks still persists. To me the old manifold look exactly like the new manifold so I dunno if Lexus did anything to alleviate the problem. Next I think I'm going to tackle the ego valve and cooler cleaning. For those of you did the valve and cooler do you have to remove the front wiper assembly? Looks like there's more room back there in the CT than the Prius.
Old 04-10-19, 11:20 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Unfortunately you do have to remove the cowl, which is 2 pieces and the wiper arm assembly in order to reach that unseen bottom nut on the cooler which is the problem child. A big helpful suggestion is to use the right length socket extension to loosen and remove instead of how the Nutz and Bolts guy did it. I just couldn't get the right angle to get in there to loosen. After I seated the the socket on the nut it was a breeze to loosen and later tighten. Another suggestion on the cowl is, at both ends, there is the rubber somewhat triangular piece that I couldn't figure out and ripped it off which was glued to the car.To properly disengage that from the cowl, use a long needle nose pliers to squeeze the white tabs on the bottom and push up through the hole to disengage.
Old 04-11-19, 07:15 AM
BensCT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankx a lot for the suggestions.
Old 04-11-19, 09:26 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KKM
I did the EGR/ EGR cooler, and pipe cleaning at 70k. I think the ideal time to clean is at 60k. There is no need to replace the parts if cleaned early enough. I just used 3 cans of Brake Kleen and it easily dissolved all the gunk for all 3 parts and they looked brand new after I was done. Didn't take more than 30 minutes to clean those parts. I plan on doing the next clean at about 110k and and drain and replace the coolant since that's the recommendation for replacement, it was a bit messy since I didn't pinch the coolant hoses properly when I did the cleaning. Also will replace the plugs then. I am planning to clean the intake manifold in the upcoming weeks when I can find the time. i did notice about a 2-3 mpg improvement after the clean.
The point of replacing the parts as opposed to cleaning it is not a matter of necessity but convenience.

It's a lot of work to be jerking the car off that often. At that point I'd rather just have a BMW again. But everybody can choose their path here. =)
Old 04-11-19, 09:32 AM
sjw91
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
The point of replacing the parts as opposed to cleaning it is not a matter of necessity but convenience.

It's a lot of work to be jerking the car off that often. At that point I'd rather just have a BMW again. But everybody can choose their path here. =)
Either you meant "jerking parts off the car", or you're into some sick stuff

Last edited by sjw91; 04-11-19 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-20-19, 09:35 AM
sjw91
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was talking with a guy last night with 400K on a Prius V and 200K on a Prius. He's never had any engine issues. I had a coworker that traded his Prius at 250K and never had issues.

So are there any conditions that make the EGR clog up more - like climate, highway vs city, etc?
Old 04-20-19, 12:02 PM
SteveMason
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I took this video before my engine blew of the knocking sound it was making. It was mainly on cold starts and at low rpm but would go away once I started driving. Is this the same as what other people in this thread are experiencing? (Sorry the video is such bad quality)

Quick Reply: EGR Questions