CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Sunroof non-op when warm

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-19, 03:10 PM
Grabaman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sunroof non-op when warm

New member but I certainly lurked here before I purchased. My CT is a 2013 with navigation, heated seats (high priority for significant other), and a sunroof. I purchased the car in September with about 53K on it. It now has just over 60K. Gas mileage has been about as advertised here... high 30s with not too frequent tanks in the low 40s (as calculated - the car computer is ALWAYS a couple of mpg high). I drive from Sacramento to Tahoe every week so the car does some hills! I really enjoy the comfort and handling, and have been happily surprised at how it goes uphill (I'm usually solo and basically unloaded.) Thankfully, I have an older subaru for the snowy weeks!

Anyway, as the weather started warming up, my sunroof stopped working. I did some searching but haven't seen this as an issue for CTs. I can hear the switches click when the sunroof doesn't work. The sunroof will work in the morning but once it gets sunny and the roof starts getting warm the sunroof goes dead.

I pulled the switch console out and let it cool down independently but the sunroof didn't work when I plugged the console back in.
This makes me think that it's the sunroof motor, though I've read about some sort of ECU for other lexus models, and I'm not sure if there's a relay in the system somewhere.

Thoughts? Tips? Wiring diagrams? Stuff to test? Suggestions or videos on how to access and replace the sunroof motor?

Thanks much,

Tom
Old 03-27-19, 03:42 AM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If you can get to the motor harness, unplug it from the motor and using a VOM (volt ohm meter), see if you are getting voltage when operating the switch. If you are the motor is bad. If no voltage, check the fuses.

I dont know what the voltages should be, but im guessing it operates at 12v, so you could run jumpers from
you battery to give the motor power to test that as well.

-spiral
Old 03-27-19, 08:34 AM
Grabaman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, Spiral. That makes sense to me. I'll give it a go this weekend and report back. I figure I'll do it in the morning when the sunroof is working so I can hopefully figure out which wires are power, and then try it in the afternoon when it's not working.

-Tom
Old 03-28-19, 09:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

or you can just check the fuse first without having to tear into the panel. I imagine if it works at all, then it's not the fuse. unless the fuse isn't making full contact.

i'm guessing it's something to do with the motor, high temps increasing resistance. maybe a poor trace/contact somewhere.

motor $27 on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-2...frcectupt=true

but of course check the basics, easy stuff first. harness/fuse etc.
Old 03-28-19, 01:21 PM
spiral
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Yeah, I had a little free time and took my vom and test light out to test, but motor wasn’t as easy to get to than I thought. I was thinking I saw it when I had to replace my sunroof 2 years ago. So fuse is a good first step.
Old 03-28-19, 02:31 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

could even bench test the motor. heat it up with a heat gun and apply 12v to it
Old 04-02-19, 08:09 AM
Grabaman
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your suggestions and findings. Didn't make any progress this weekend and the car is tucked away for the week as it was snowing this morning so I took the subie. Maybe next weekend....

I like the idea of hitting the motor with a heat gun and seeing if it goes from operational to non-op....

-Tom
Old 04-22-19, 08:09 PM
pius222
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sunroof works periodically

Having similar issue. haven't thought of the temperature being the issue. Please let me know your finding. Thx!
Old 04-22-19, 09:31 PM
Grabaman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by pius222
Having similar issue. haven't thought of the temperature being the issue. Please let me know your finding. Thx!
I still have done no testing, but I'm fairly sure it's heat related. It works in the morning, it works in the evening, and it doesn't work when the interior of the car is warm. Sorry to hear you are having a similar issue. I will update when I finally make some progress.

Thanks, Tom
Old 05-07-20, 08:45 AM
Grabaman
Driver School Candidate

Just wanted to update this thread. My sunroof continues to operate intermittently ... which in this case means it will work a little bit (both tilt and open) in the morning and then stops. Sometimes it will work in the evenings.

I bought a used overhead console (lights, switches, glasses holder, etc) on ebay. Super easy install. Unfortunately, no change in sunroof behaviour.

Tempted to continue my parts replacement program wiht a new motor. Has anybody done this? It looks like I need to drop the headliner to get in there which seems potentially difficult.

Let me know if you need an overhead console. Gray. Excellent condition.

Thanks, Tom
Old 05-07-20, 09:31 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

someone in this thread experienced this on another lexus and it was the motor apparently: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...of-issues.html
Old 05-07-20, 10:00 AM
Grabaman
Driver School Candidate

THanks E46CT. I think I'll order an ebay motor and cross the install bridge when it arrives.

Nice gray console looking for good home for shipping +$5 ... hate to see it living in a box under the house...
Old 05-31-20, 09:22 AM
Grabaman
Driver School Candidate

I ordered a motor off ebay and installed it with help from my wife without dropping the headliner. Limited testing but so far so good!

I removed the light/switch console (pull down on the front edge first) and then removed the trim around the front of the sunroof and used 2 sets of 4 paint stirrer sticks to wedge the headliner down at the front edge of the sunroof. The headliner seems kind of fragile and crinkled a little as we wrestled around in there but it looks good now that it's re-installed.

It's only (2) 10 mm bolts. The driver side is visible and not too hard to access; passenger side is pretty hard to get to ... I found a 1/4-inch drive ratchet with a flex head was the only tool I could get on either bolt. I couldn't completely remove the bolts with the ratchet as there wasn't enough room to get the ratchet off the bolts as they backed out. So I got them out by hand once they were loose. There is a sharp corner on the motor near the passenger side bolt (I meant to take a file to the replacement before install but forgot.) I was able to remove the motor by myself.

My dear wife helped me with reinstallation (and she wished I filed the replacement motor's sharp corner). I was able to sit in the backseat and hold the motor in place (it almost "snaps" into place but won't stay there) and she got the driver side bolt started ... I tightened it up with the ratchet. The motor was firmly in place at this point. She then got the passenger side bolt started - I again was in the backseat and helped guide the bolt into place - I had a good view but not enough room to do much beyond stick a finger in there as a guide. Once she got it threaded, I tightened it up with the ratchet. She has pretty small hands and good dexerity ... not sure if I could have done it.

I was slightly concerned that the motors might be out of sync but the drive screw position looked the same on both motors so I just kept my fingers crossed!

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Grey overhead console in excellent condition still available ...

Thanks, Tom