ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   CT 200h Model (2011-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-200h-model-2011-2017-233/)
-   -   Brake suggestions (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-200h-model-2011-2017/913751-brake-suggestions.html)

Miamiboy87 03-12-19 10:17 AM

Brake suggestions

It's almost time for me to change the brakes on my 2014CT with almost 50k. Any suggestions on a specific brand? I was thinking of either changing only the pads (F and R) or just changing everything including the rotors.. I believe the rotors are still ok. though..
I was thinking of the PowerStop Z23's, but might be overkill for this car and didn't want to spend that much. But any recommendations are good, thanks.

RitcheyRch 03-12-19 12:28 PM

I've been happy with Akebono Ceramic Pads

E46CT 03-12-19 01:34 PM

stock. this isn't even worth discussing. how do you have to replace brakes at 50k. they are supposed to be lifetime. most 3g prius and even ct200h owners are on 200k plus on original hardware.

i'm at 45k and the pads look brand new. super thick

Miamiboy87 03-12-19 01:52 PM

Maybe it's the way I drive? I don't think i'm too aggressive either, but according to the Lexus where I get it serviced, they are in the yellow range or whatever number they recommend on replacing them.. I dont have the info on hand.

E46CT 03-12-19 02:48 PM

Probably. you should be able to get way way more life out of them by using regen braking. start braking way before you have to. drag the brake pedal. i'm anal about this in my CT. sometimes i can get the battery maxed out to the top during a long stop to a traffic light. without engaging the friction brakes at all. use this to your advantage to save fuel and save brakes

Miamiboy87 03-12-19 03:24 PM

Thanks I agree. I'm not the first owner of this car. Got it around 23k miles. I always let go off the gas coming to a stop and gently apply the brakes coming to a stop.. oh well.

TEXASMAJOR 03-12-19 05:03 PM

There is absolutely no way you need new brakes @ 50k, regardless of driving style. Hard to believe, but then again its the dealer telling you. My Prius is at 120k with the original pads. still have a lot of life left.

Raidin 03-12-19 05:04 PM

You may as well get stock pads or something inexpensive and continue doing what you're doing, like E46CT and myself. I use the regen brakes as much as I can, and didn't have to change brakes until 335k miles, and that's only the front brakes even though up to that point I ALWAYS parked with the parking brake on (which I admit is minimal wear).

Miamiboy87 03-13-19 01:17 PM

Yeah its crazy! Not sure how the previous owner drove this type of car.. but I avoid having to use the brakes as much as I can and only use them slightly. I may just do a visual inspection myself and get some stock pads.

spiral 03-16-19 08:24 AM

I’ll admit I brake more than I should, so I had to replace mine. Really easy job to do. A couple tips if you choose to do the work yourself.

1. Either disconnect the 12v battery or don’t open/close the drivers door. Each time you do it will push the piston out. I wasn’t paying attention once and it popped out. Had a brake fluid mess everywhere.

2. Change the rotors. They are cheap enough and the old ones will have grooves making them
less efficient

3. Take the rear rotor with you. They make two sizes but the store doesn’t know which one is the right one. Compare the old with new before leaving the store.

4. You will need a bolt (I thing 6mm) to pop the rotor off. I just keep a couple will my auto tools with a tape label on it.

Miamiboy87 03-18-19 08:01 AM

Thanks for the tip. I did notice that the rear has two different size rotors; one is 10' and the other is 11'. Not sure why there's two sizes..