CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Hows the lighting on the 2014+ Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-19, 11:35 AM
nothomex17
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hows the lighting on the 2014+ Headlights

In the market for a Lexus and was wondering how the Headlights perform. Do these headlights light up the road like a 2017+Corolla?
Old 02-13-19, 09:53 PM
fiveainone
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

2017+ Corolla have LED headlights. 99% of the 2014+ have standard halogen lights. So no, it's not as good as the Corolla. It's yellow and it's just bright enough.
The following users liked this post:
nothomex17 (02-21-19)
Old 02-14-19, 08:55 AM
14ct200h
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the LED headlights on my CT200h. I like the lighting it provides but its a super rare upgrade to find.
Old 02-14-19, 09:20 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

I did a professional and full BI-XENON retrofit using OE Lexus ballasts, german Osram bulbs, and bi-xenon projectors.

The stock lighting is below acceptable.

Some will jam cheap stuff in their headlights but I wouldn't recommend it. There's a laundry list of potential problems with using cheap LED or cheap HID plug ins. One of them being fire.
Old 02-15-19, 11:04 PM
fiveainone
Rookie

Originally Posted by 14ct200h
I have the LED headlights on my CT200h. I like the lighting it provides but its a super rare upgrade to find.
​​​​​​​Are you saying you had it from factory, or you found a set and upgraded yourself?
Old 02-16-19, 03:59 PM
14ct200h
Driver

Originally Posted by fiveainone
Are you saying you had it from factory, or you found a set and upgraded yourself?
From factory
Old 02-17-19, 12:38 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I installed aftermarket LED's for low beams and fogs on my CT200h.......going strong for 4+ years now. AND NO fires!!!

I suppose anything can go wrong with any aftermarket installed items even with VERY EXPENSIVE/REPUTABLE PARTS (installed incorrectly). The trick is to use common sense.

Some folks subscribe to the notion that more expensive the part is, then it must be the BEST!! Maybe it is true, maybe not. Again, common sense tells me otherwise. For me if the AFTERMARKET headlights cost like more than two grand, then I will not do it. I'll just get rid of the car and make sure I get the headlights I wanted in the next car!!!

Originally Posted by E46CT
I did a professional and full BI-XENON retrofit using OE Lexus ballasts, german Osram bulbs, and bi-xenon projectors.

The stock lighting is below acceptable.

Some will jam cheap stuff in their headlights but I wouldn't recommend it. There's a laundry list of potential problems with using cheap LED or cheap HID plug ins. One of them being fire.
Old 02-17-19, 09:23 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts

I also have factory LEDs, and while they are very bright and light up the road well, they don't throw the light far enough down the road. A simple alignment adjustment with a screw driver did the trick.

It's funny, both my mechanic and my dealer told me you can't adjust these headlights because they auto-level. I figured they auto-level based on the default value, which I assumed was software based, but nope, it's just a **** under the hood and the adjustment indicators are even carved into the plastic shield above the radiator. A friend showed me how to do it, and now I have them set the way I want them.
Old 02-17-19, 09:30 PM
14ct200h
Driver

Originally Posted by Raidin
I also have factory LEDs, and while they are very bright and light up the road well, they don't throw the light far enough down the road. A simple alignment adjustment with a screw driver did the trick.

It's funny, both my mechanic and my dealer told me you can't adjust these headlights because they auto-level. I figured they auto-level based on the default value, which I assumed was software based, but nope, it's just a **** under the hood and the adjustment indicators are even carved into the plastic shield above the radiator. A friend showed me how to do it, and now I have them set the way I want them.
I have to do this adjustment now! Any information to turn clockwise or counterclockwise to raise the light direction?
Old 02-17-19, 10:17 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by 14ct200h
I have to do this adjustment now! Any information to turn clockwise or counterclockwise to raise the light direction?
This is exactly what's on the plastic shield. It has an arrow moving in a U-shape and the letter U and D and another arrow with L and R. I've never found the left and right adjustment, only the up and down. The **** is actually a sharp-toothed metal gear with a small opening in the plastic cover for a screwdriver. It's designed so that the screwdriver just turns the gear as you twist (Philips or + type). Pretty easy really.
Old 02-17-19, 10:22 PM
fiveainone
Rookie

Please oh please test them out when you adjust them. Have someone drive normal distance in front of you, and see how it looks in the rear view mirror.

Not only that, so many people adjust their driver side higher, so the beam shines farther down. But when you look at them from the rear view mirrors, thee driver side light is blinding you. All cars have driver side lights aimed lower than passenger; it's to avoid blinding on coming traffic.
Old 02-17-19, 11:15 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by fiveainone
Please oh please test them out when you adjust them. Have someone drive normal distance in front of you, and see how it looks in the rear view mirror.

Not only that, so many people adjust their driver side higher, so the beam shines farther down. But when you look at them from the rear view mirrors, thee driver side light is blinding you. All cars have driver side lights aimed lower than passenger; it's to avoid blinding on coming traffic.
I'm very conscious of bright lights at night. I always test them by standing in front of them at various distances, and also by facing my car into glass-walled stores at night where the tinting turns them essentially into mirrors. I know that the driver's side has a dip in the light built-in to avoid blinding oncoming traffic in the next lane over and so I don't adjust that one too high. They were both literally too low from the factory. Even the dealer told me they are set far lower than the regulatory limit.
Old 02-18-19, 09:50 PM
nsxjohn
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Incorrect Post

Last edited by nsxjohn; 08-28-20 at 07:19 PM.
Old 02-19-19, 12:12 AM
14ct200h
Driver

Anyone has a picture where exactly the screwdriver needs to be at? I see the location of where the nut is at on the headlight for the adjustment.
Old 02-19-19, 09:50 AM
nsxjohn
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Incorrect Post

Last edited by nsxjohn; 08-28-20 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Hows the lighting on the 2014+ Headlights