ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   CT 200h Model (2011-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-200h-model-2011-2017-233/)
-   -   What MPG to expect above 75mph? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-200h-model-2011-2017/909542-what-mpg-to-expect-above-75mph.html)

LexusfanVA 01-21-19 01:41 PM

What MPG to expect above 75mph?

Hello all, I currently have an 08 ISF but am considering a CT200H for the wife to replace her Yaris and as a daily driver for me in the winter months. My current commute is about 50 miles round trip and thus far the F has been relatively reliable and efficient at 20-22 avg (75% hwy), up to 28-29mpg at 65-70, and about 24ish at 80-90. We will be moving soon and the commute will be about 70-80 miles round trip, more on weekends. Most of the commute is a stretch that you can easily do 80-90mph and still get passed.

My main question is basically what MPG can I expect 80-90mph? above 35mpg? What MPG at 70-80mph? Other questions are:
How does reliability look for the early <2016 models with say 30-60k on them? Ideally I would like the updated fascia with backup cam/nav.
Have people been able to gain a few MPG with lighter wheels or playing with aero or suspension or intakes/tunes? I like to mod most every car, and just curious if there are benefits to be had more than visual/handling.

Much appreciated for any and all help and advice, cheers!

E46CT 01-21-19 02:00 PM

The cut off between differences (albeit small) in engine design is 2014. Early models may be more prone to HG failure at high mileage. Read recent threads where I posted benefit to 14+ and particularly 15+ MY.

As far as MPG, I've found I get about 43-47 mpg indicated doing around 72 mph steady. It drops off rapidly after that. Going 80-90 you can expect to get mid 30s.

You can gain MPG by lowering it. Possibly installing an aero dam underneath. haven't tried it. You can definitely gain mpg by using lighter wheels and tires. a good candidate would be stock prius hardware. it would just look funny.

as far as powertrain, leave it alone. it's already fully optimized.

Overall I'd recommend a 15+ MY.

mcomer 01-21-19 02:50 PM

Our 2014 and now our 2018 ES300h's delivered better than the advertised 40 MPG city and 39 highway
when driven up to about 70 MPH. When driving at my more customary 80+ MPH the mileage dropped
considerably to about 33. My mix of city / highway is about 90% city but I do miss the banzai driving of my youth!

E46CT 01-21-19 02:58 PM

it would be cool if we could electronically fold in our mirrors at speed. that would cut down on some drag. i bet prius wheels w/ covers would gain some mileage too. but the cost of those wheels/tires would take long to recoup for such small gains. fun to think about.

lexusrus 01-21-19 09:29 PM

Haha, 27 mpg for me on the CT200h when I drive it thinking I was still in my RCF or my AMG!!! But the CT200h max max out at around 115mph:cry:

Originally Posted by LexusfanVA (Post 10416011)
Hello all, I currently have an 08 ISF but am considering a CT200H for the wife to replace her Yaris and as a daily driver for me in the winter months. My current commute is about 50 miles round trip and thus far the F has been relatively reliable and efficient at 20-22 avg (75% hwy), up to 28-29mpg at 65-70, and about 24ish at 80-90. We will be moving soon and the commute will be about 70-80 miles round trip, more on weekends. Most of the commute is a stretch that you can easily do 80-90mph and still get passed.

My main question is basically what MPG can I expect 80-90mph? above 35mpg? What MPG at 70-80mph? Other questions are:
How does reliability look for the early <2016 models with say 30-60k on them? Ideally I would like the updated fascia with backup cam/nav.
Have people been able to gain a few MPG with lighter wheels or playing with aero or suspension or intakes/tunes? I like to mod most every car, and just curious if there are benefits to be had more than visual/handling.

Much appreciated for any and all help and advice, cheers!

swollen_cu 02-27-19 10:25 AM

I drive 70-80 miles a day highway and average 78-80mph for a good stretch of 60 miles. I'm averaging around 38-40mpg. Anything above 80 is around 34-36

lexusrus 02-27-19 11:28 PM

Above 80+ mph in windy situations (unless tail wind)...... More like 27 to 28 mpg.......

Originally Posted by swollen_cu (Post 10452516)
I drive 70-80 miles a day highway and average 78-80mph for a good stretch of 60 miles. I'm averaging around 38-40mpg. Anything above 80 is around 34-36

Raidin 03-02-19 11:20 AM

I'm thinking you should see low 30s at speeds above 75 MPH as well. The easiest mod you can do for better mileage is your next set of tires. Try the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus. I gained something like 3 or 4 MPG with those compared to OEM.

lexusrus 03-02-19 11:33 PM

I'm getting Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus next time!!!!

Originally Posted by Raidin (Post 10455519)
I'm thinking you should see low 30s at speeds above 75 MPH as well. The easiest mod you can do for better mileage is your next set of tires. Try the Bridgestone Ecopia EP422 Plus. I gained something like 3 or 4 MPG with those compared to OEM.

swollen_cu 03-04-19 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by lexusrus (Post 10453231)
Above 80+ mph in windy situations (unless tail wind)...... More like 27 to 28 mpg.......

im in louisiana, so the wind is next to nothing 95% of the time

E46CT 03-04-19 02:45 PM

From the research I've done, eco-specific tires don't justify the extra cost vs. what you save in fuel. The difference is miniscule at best, something like half a percent. There is measureable fuel savings but they tend not to catch up to the extra cost of the tires. Making the whole exercise moot. Further, having such tires means low grip and low grip means braking more before going around a corner thereby increasing the amount of energy consumption to regain that lost speed. All around I find the best deal is to get sporty all seasons with low friction compounds, but do not necessarily cost more due to eco-classification. Hankooks fit this criteria really well. Particularly the model I got offers a good blend of eco and performance. I got the Hankook V2 concepts for my rear tires (OEM michelins were bald and hard when i bought the car).

Also on a car like the CT, particularly F sport, it's engineered to corner better than its prius cousin. And since we're all taking an mpg hit to NOT drive a prius, it doesn't make too much sense to go "too" ECO with your tires. At that point you may as well just drive a Prius.

I still average 38mpg OBC and i drive a bit on the aggressive side. My other pair of tires (on the front axle) are "performance" chinese tires the dealer threw on before I bought it. I'm going to wear them out because replacing them would negate any fuel savings i gain by purchasing new tires.

I also can get 50-55mpg on highway trips over 50 miles. So given I have non-eco tires, and a set of chinese performance tires on one axle, I still get banging economy. Your technique and tire air pressure is a much bigger factor on your fuel savings than classification on the sidewall.

lexusrus 03-04-19 05:32 PM

It sure was windy in SoCal, especially in the deserts and the mountain passes ......

Originally Posted by swollen_cu (Post 10457510)
im in louisiana, so the wind is next to nothing 95% of the time

lexusrus 03-04-19 05:35 PM

Something must be seriously wrong with my CT200h. I just don't get that good of mpg.....I guess I will need to restrain my right foot on the gas paddle!!!

Originally Posted by E46CT (Post 10457564)
From the research I've done, eco-specific tires don't justify the extra cost vs. what you save in fuel. The difference is miniscule at best, something like half a percent. There is measureable fuel savings but they tend not to catch up to the extra cost of the tires. Making the whole exercise moot. Further, having such tires means low grip and low grip means braking more before going around a corner thereby increasing the amount of energy consumption to regain that lost speed. All around I find the best deal is to get sporty all seasons with low friction compounds, but do not necessarily cost more due to eco-classification. Hankooks fit this criteria really well. Particularly the model I got offers a good blend of eco and performance. I got the Hankook V2 concepts for my rear tires (OEM michelins were bald and hard when i bought the car).

Also on a car like the CT, particularly F sport, it's engineered to corner better than its prius cousin. And since we're all taking an mpg hit to NOT drive a prius, it doesn't make too much sense to go "too" ECO with your tires. At that point you may as well just drive a Prius.

I still average 38mpg OBC and i drive a bit on the aggressive side. My other pair of tires (on the front axle) are "performance" chinese tires the dealer threw on before I bought it. I'm going to wear them out because replacing them would negate any fuel savings i gain by purchasing new tires.

I also can get 50-55mpg on highway trips over 50 miles. So given I have non-eco tires, and a set of chinese performance tires on one axle, I still get banging economy. Your technique and tire air pressure is a much bigger factor on your fuel savings than classification on the sidewall.

E46CT 03-05-19 08:01 AM

I tend to drive as "smart" as possible while also driving fairly aggressively. I take corners at high speed, wide path. I start my braking (regen) LONG before the stoplight to gain as much energy back as possible. I try to coast up hills when possible. I try to NOT let the car slow down naturally (light regen) when I anticipate i will need to accelerate again. It's just engrained into my mind now how to drive this thing. I also keep AC/fans off most of the time and keep my air pressures up. All these things combined help me get decent mileage despite how i drive.

If i'm really good i get 41-42mpg obc avg indicated over a tank. but usually it hovers around 37-38. This particular tank i'm around 37. honestly not much to brag about considering a prius can easily break 10mpg more. (former 3G prius owner)

But somethings gotta give when you're spinning up 17" wheels and tires.