ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   CT 200h Model (2011-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-200h-model-2011-2017-233/)
-   -   Looking to buy used Lexus CT200h, seeking advice (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ct-200h-model-2011-2017/903639-looking-to-buy-used-lexus-ct200h-seeking-advice.html)

lexuspleus 11-04-18 12:12 AM

Looking to buy used Lexus CT200h, seeking advice

I am looking to buy a used Lexus CT 200h, preferably one of the newer years, >2015. Intended usage is 300 kms highway driving plus 200 kms city driving per week. I have some questions I cannot find answers to:

1. Did any of the latest ones come with features like Lane Keep assist and lane departure warning and autonomous braking and such? I don't think the earlier models came with them.

2. I saw an ad in Canada for a recent model and the rear mirror seemed to have a built in monitor for the rear view camera, which package did this feature come as part of?

3. What is the reliability of this thing past 100k kms?

4. I have never owned a hybrid before. Does this thing have an EV mode that I can use to just run on the batter for like a few kms?

5. Any of them come with a heads up display?

6. Radar cruise control on any newer models?

6. Do you have any other advice for someone who knows not a lot about this particular range?

I am interested in this model because I want a hybrid and I am seeing a lot of them on the used market, and they seem like nice cars. I drive a 10th gen Civic which is quite peppy and may miss some of its modern safety features..... though the CT has a nicer interior and the L badge and better city mileage.

14ct200h 11-04-18 08:57 AM

1. I do not think any CT200h came with those options.

2. This is for the Non-Nav equipped CT200h that had the built screen on the rear view mirror for backup cam

3. CT200h is basically a Lexus Prius. Using the engine and battery from the 3rd gen Prius. Very reliable.
4. You can use the EV mode under 15mph for a short amount of time

5. Heads display for car speed? I do not believe so

6. Radar Cruise is an option....Very Rare to find

Raidin 11-04-18 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by lexuspleus (Post 10350740)
I am looking to buy a used Lexus CT 200h, preferably one of the newer years, >2015. Intended usage is 300 kms highway driving plus 200 kms city driving per week. I have some questions I cannot find answers to:

1. Did any of the latest ones come with features like Lane Keep assist and lane departure warning and autonomous braking and such? I don't think the earlier models came with them.

2. I saw an ad in Canada for a recent model and the rear mirror seemed to have a built in monitor for the rear view camera, which package did this feature come as part of?

3. What is the reliability of this thing past 100k kms?

4. I have never owned a hybrid before. Does this thing have an EV mode that I can use to just run on the batter for like a few kms?

5. Any of them come with a heads up display?

6. Radar cruise control on any newer models?

6. Do you have any other advice for someone who knows not a lot about this particular range?

I am interested in this model because I want a hybrid and I am seeing a lot of them on the used market, and they seem like nice cars. I drive a 10th gen Civic which is quite peppy and may miss some of its modern safety features..... though the CT has a nicer interior and the L badge and better city mileage.

1. The only driver assistance tech available on CTs is adaptive cruise control, which comes with front collision mitigation. This is the type that will warn you if you're about to hit another vehicle, slow you down if you don't, but will NOT stop the car. It will just try to slow you down so the damage isn't as bad when you do hit. the adaptive cruise control will also not stop so you will hit vehicles that are slowing down too fast, so you have to hit the brakes if the warning beeps start going faster.

Also, I believe blind-spot monitoring was introduced on 2018+ models. Not sure, though.

2. If this is an actual option, I wouldn't know, as I live in the US.

3. I'd say very reliable, 100km is about 62k miles. My car has been well-maintained since new, and is running at 426k miles right now, which is about 685k km, after only a head gasket failure as the only repair.

4. Yes. Range is about 1.5 miles, or 2.4 km, could be more or less depending on how fast you accelerate and drive.

5. Never heard of a HUD in a CT. I doubt they will ever offer it since the CT will be replaced soon most likely.

6. I believe this was always an option on every model. It was a stand-alone option that virtually no dealership orders, so you may not find one.

7. As being new to the CT, make sure you test drive first, they ride firm. Also, always have an independent mechanic check the car before you buy, just to be safe.

KLF 02-07-19 07:04 AM

Rather than start a new thread with the same topic, I'm gonna just bring this one back and add a few questions of my own.

I have a '13 IS250C that is coming off CPO this Spring, and it's just not the car for me, so I may be looking for a different second vehicle. I have a 2015 Land Cruiser that I am slowly starting to modify, so this car will be more of a commuter (8 mile drive), errands, short trips, etc. The Cruiser will be for bad weather, and long road trips/camping/off-roading. Spring time is the time to sell a convertible, so here we go.

I've always kinda liked the CT200h, even though I have never liked the Prius. The CT is less "smug" about the hybrid, and although I haven't driven one yet, I assume it rides better. I also considered a Miata, but the complete lack of practicality is just a deal breaker for me. I've done a lot of reading, and I think I will be looking for a '15+ model, definitely want the Nav upgrade, but not sure on the F Sport package.

Question 1: My Cruiser has radar cruise, and I love it. It's not perfect, but once you have it, you really depend on having it. I know it is a rare option on the CT, but how can I tell from photos if a car has it? My Cruiser has a special button on the wheel to control the spacing, but I haven't seen that on any of the CTs I've looked at listed. Do you just have to turn on Cruise and look for it? Will the VIN tell me?

Question 2: I hate donut spares, but I believe the CT has one (which will be a first for me). Is there any way to fit a full sized spare under the lid in the back?

Question 3: has anybody tracked the average life of the hybrid batteries? Any failures?

TIA...

E46CT 02-07-19 08:22 AM

I can give a little insight on 2 and 3.

2 I haven't tried but I suspect you couldn't get the little foam tray down which helps supports the cargo lid which supports the carpet. I suspect you could put a full size spare but if you loaded any cargo it may sag. But maybe someone tried it. From what i remember the space is really tight.

3) the batteries... just consider them lifetime. and if they ever do need replacement, many shops rebuild them for $800-1000 OTD. it's a non-concern, non-issue. put it this way, i've never seen a thread here where someone's CT battery had failed.

Definitely get the F Sport package. brings the car to a new level and takes some of the sting out of driving a hybrid. without it you may as well be driving a prius. The wheels alone are worth it.

Very smooth and secure on the highway though which i love. Can do 80-90mph just as my sporty IS can. But you pay for that firmness and confidence when it gets bumpy. the CT does not like low speed bumps. Can be a bit jarring.

KLF 02-07-19 10:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. This is not a sports car, so an F Sport model seems a little silly. I also can't really see much difference in the wheels. (Photos from CarGurus listings)

F Sport wheels:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...ee8912b7a8.jpg

Non F Sport wheels:
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...2dfe430046.jpg

Are they bigger? They do have a nice color.

E46CT 02-07-19 12:22 PM

The F Sport model on the used market would cost the same or very similar to non f sport. Thats how it goes with most used cars and options. Sure you pay a lot when new, but once the car hits the used market, option packages lose a lot of value in many cases. so it's not wise to not get it if it's free or close to free. It's not about making it a sports car, but about making NOT a Prius. The F Sport gives you a black roof, larger rear spoiler, bumper appearance stuff, steering wheel, aluminum pedals, the nice wheels (same size to answer your question) and one of the best features: a black headliner and pillars

Every other CT will have a light gray (or is it white?) headliner and pillars.

It upscales the interior by a factor of 10. And it's not just the color, the fabric too.

there's of course suspension and some minor mechanical differences.

also unique paint colors only on the f sport

KLF 02-07-19 02:03 PM

OK, that makes sense. I guess I just need to go out scouting, look at them, take a ride in each. I do see some F Sport models, they are not super rare, and easy to spot with the badge on the fender. Problem is, the closest car I can find is over an hour away.

See, I'm not keen on the black roof. I swore after that black Rabbit GTI I bought in the '80's that I would never own another black car. They always look scratched and dirty. Is it a gloss black? Semi gloss? The rare photos I can find look like a gloss black... ugh!!! :sad: Maybe get it "wrapped" in a semi gloss would be cool... I had a 3M hood blackout on my old '87 Toyota pickup, and it only took a quick wipe with 303 Protectant to look awesome.

Were these really ever sold without a sunroof? That would be a bummer, I open mine a lot.

E46CT 02-07-19 03:47 PM

I've personally never seen any without sunroof. but i think there was?

It's gloss black. It looks high quality. Matte just looks like you bought the lower model trying to make it look like the higher model. Keep it gloss and just wax the roof =)

I machine polished my car when I got it.

fiveainone 02-08-19 11:02 PM

I saw a no-sunroof one at a local meet. '16 F-Sport with no sunroof or nav, but backup camera. He was looking for that, and bought it the same day. Only one I've seen so far, and I see at least 5 every day.

fiveainone 02-08-19 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by KLF (Post 10433027)
Thanks for the reply. This is not a sports car, so an F Sport model seems a little silly. I also can't really see much difference in the wheels. (Photos from CarGurus listings)

F Sport wheels:
Non F Sport wheels:

Are they bigger? They do have a nice color.

Nope, they're the same wheels. F-Sport just have the inner parts of the spokes in a gun metal color. It makes it look sharper, but honestly I prefer the regular one. It looks beefier and more upscale.

E46CT 02-11-19 12:23 PM

Going to have to disagree there. When I was shopping for a non-F, the first thing I was going to do was locate a set of F Sports.

The wheel finish itself is clearly machined or machined polished w/ the black inners, then clearcoated over.

The F Sport wheel is clearly more premium. The whole point of the F Sport.

The non F Sport wheel is just painted silver.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...d440f689eb.jpg

Notice the flat/sharp edges of the spokes on the wheel face where it meets the black. Vs. the rounded smooth corners of the non-F. Similar design, but different finishing. When you look up close to the F Sport wheel, you can see the radial lines from whatever process used to machine the front. its definitely unique and upscale looking

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...8cf563e9e1.jpg

Edit: yep i was right. Directly from Lexus's press release:

"new for 2014, the package’s 17-inch wheels show off a new split five-spoke design with a two-tone machined graphite finish."

That definitely adds a lot of cost to the wheel.

E46CT 02-11-19 12:24 PM

Also the center cap. just all around a more premium wheel. astonishing difference

fiveainone 02-11-19 09:32 PM

I understand and see all that, I've looked into getting a set. The machine polish look is great, and I'm even thinking about just machine finishing the regular one without and graphite finish. Might look great and different. My reasoning for not getting a set is that, the graphite makes the spokes look too thin, and in my eyes, they look like they don't "support" the visual heaviness of the body as well as the painted version. (I'm a graphic designer, so what I see and how I reason is probably different than others.) It's very subtle differences and very subjective, but that's how I see it.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...3634b1c99a.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...21d7f754eb.jpg

Also when I say upscale, I meant it an old school Lexus kind of way. The F-Sport is definitely very eye catching, I look at it every time I pass by one near me. The combinations of the blacks all over is more attention grabbing than the standard. But to me it also looks a bit tuner-ish. I know that's the current trend, with tons of Lexus and Toyotas and black roofs, along with all the major luxury brands. But my definition of upscale means restraint. So you if you think back to SC400 and LS400 days, they weren't screaming for attention, and they were considered more boring. But it also feels more old-school upscale.

The standard painted finish does look duller. But if the inner spokes of the F-Sport weren't gunmetal, I think it would look more "upscale". The point of the F-Sport is to be sporty, so all the treatments they've done definitely reflects that, and it looks great. Just not what I consider traditional upscale, more of a trendier sexier upscale.

E46CT 02-12-19 08:00 AM

I'm all about design and know about visual weight. I wish more people appreciated this. This is why I like subtly modded cars.

I know about design restraint as well. I'm an advanced photographer with lots of editing experience so I know less is more when it comes to details. Generally the more subtle something is, the stronger a statement it makes. Generally.

If anything is tuner on the CT I'd say more the front grill. It's barely acceptable though. I do wish it were more restrained.

I think the black roof of the F sport brings the visual weight lower giving the car a sportier appearance.

Also the CT F Sport was around a time when people had less and less incentive to get compact cars as gas was becoming cheaper and SUVs were getting more fuel efficient, so making a car look sporty was a way to give people incentive to still buy into this shrinking segment.