CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

E46CT CT200h Diary (w/ pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-19, 11:39 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Correct I use an adapter 6x9 to 6.5" for the front. They are Polk Audio 120w rms per pair. I think they are split up between the tweeters so it's probably less going to them. it's conservative
Old 02-19-19, 11:54 AM
RG13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
Correct I use an adapter 6x9 to 6.5" for the front. They are Polk Audio 120w rms per pair. I think they are split up between the tweeters so it's probably less going to them. it's conservative
Did you mount the tweeters in the dash speaker spot? You mentioned the wiring and install was a pain, what was challenging?

Sorry for all the questions! It seems like you’re pretty familiar with working on this car.
Old 02-19-19, 12:11 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

The speakers I used Polk DB651 come with the tweeters built into the speaker. For tweeters, I bought some aftermarket tweeters, and mounted them with slight trimming/modification of said speakers. I think they are Rockford Fosgate speakers. But really most 4 inchers would work. I thought about running no tweeters so tried it for a while without tweeters. Decided ultimately it sounded a tad better with them. Even if it is cutting some power from the door speakers. The sound reflecting off the windshield really helps.

Wiring wasn't really a pain, just time consuming. It is a bit of a chore to run them around the hybrid battery as to not get hung up around any sharp edges. Secure everything down nicely and zip tie them. And run them down the passenger side and above the passenger footwell plastic trim and behind the radio. I basically ran wires from the headunit output to the amp input (in the "trunk") and RCA pair from the amp output to a line out converter spliced to the wires leading to the speakers (at the back of the headunit)

Basically the stock wires leading from the back of the headunit TO the speakers had to be cut.

The sound is amazingly loud and clear. Almost gives you goosebumps when playing a song with nice vocals. No distortion whatsoever.

Of course it's a budget setup and you can certainly do cleaner installs with a headunit that has cleaner output, but I want to retain a stock classy look and not go all 1990s.
Old 02-19-19, 12:19 PM
RG13
Driver School Candidate

The speakers I used Polk DB651 come with the tweeters built into the speaker. For tweeters, I bought some aftermarket tweeters, and mounted them with slight trimming/modification of said speakers. I think they are Rockford Fosgate speakers. But really most 4 inchers would work. I thought about running no tweeters so tried it for a while without tweeters. Decided ultimately it sounded a tad better with them. Even if it is cutting some power from the door speakers. The sound reflecting off the windshield really helps.

Wiring wasn't really a pain, just time consuming. It is a bit of a chore to run them around the hybrid battery as to not get hung up around any sharp edges. Secure everything down nicely and zip tie them. And run them down the passenger side and above the passenger footwell plastic trim and behind the radio. I basically ran wires from the headunit output to the amp input (in the "trunk") and RCA pair from the amp output to a line out converter spliced to the wires leading to the speakers (at the back of the headunit)

Basically the stock wires leading from the back of the headunit TO the speakers had to be cut.

The sound is amazingly loud and clear. Almost gives you goosebumps when playing a song with nice vocals. No distortion whatsoever.

Of course it's a budget setup and you can certainly do cleaner installs with a headunit that has cleaner output, but I want to retain a stock classy look and not go all 1990s.
Thanks for the info! Funny you mentioned retaining the stock look, there isn’t a dash kit available for the CT. I’m thinking I’m gonna use a DSP to have better control of the tuning.

I’ll probably run components in the front doors at 55w RMS and a 10” sub at 200w RMS. I was originally going to use a 4 channel amp and bridge the rear channels but I think it would sound better to use a separate mono amp for the sub.

My previous system would seriously crank but I don’t want to push the limits in the hybrid system.
Old 02-19-19, 12:27 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah. Ultimately the hybrid battery pack is powering (or at least recharges the 12V as it gets drained) your sound system and draining it even faster defeats the purpose of the hybrid system. So I went for a sound system light and normally only play it at low to moderate volume. I can still get 50-55mpg highway cranking tunes. And overall 38-41mpg avg normally. So pretty much unchanged before and after.
Old 02-19-19, 12:31 PM
RG13
Driver School Candidate

Yeah. Ultimately the hybrid battery pack is powering (or at least recharges the 12V as it gets drained) your sound system and draining it even faster defeats the purpose of the hybrid system. So I went for a sound system light and normally only play it at low to moderate volume. I can still get 50-55mpg highway cranking tunes. And overall 38-41mpg avg normally. So pretty much unchanged before and after.
That’s good to know. Now I just have to decide if I want to do the sound system or new wheels and tires first lol.
Old 02-20-19, 08:37 AM
14ct200h
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you using an amp to power those speakers up? So you just changed out the front and dash speakers and made a huge improvement? How are you connecting the speakers up to the OEM speaker connection?
Old 02-20-19, 12:15 PM
KLF
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 14ct200h
Are you using an amp to power those speakers up? So you just changed out the front and dash speakers and made a huge improvement? How are you connecting the speakers up to the OEM speaker connection?
Yeah, this is what I want to know. How to did you interface the new speakers to the factory head unit? Add an amp? My experience with Toyota/Lexus audio recently is it is all proprietary, and difficult to upgrade. All the 12 speakers in my Land Cruiser are 2 ohm impedance, for instance. I am not impressed with the high $$$ JBL system in this truck, but even Crutchfield was stumped on how to do any upgrades.

Crutchfield has NO data on the CT, not even speaker sizes.
Old 02-21-19, 07:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

No. See post 48. I wired up a two channel amp. Also to correct my earlier post I installed Focal Integration speakers. not polk. Polk was my first CT200h. Mixed those brands up.
Old 02-21-19, 07:41 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KLF
Yeah, this is what I want to know. How to did you interface the new speakers to the factory head unit? Add an amp? My experience with Toyota/Lexus audio recently is it is all proprietary, and difficult to upgrade. All the 12 speakers in my Land Cruiser are 2 ohm impedance, for instance. I am not impressed with the high $$$ JBL system in this truck, but even Crutchfield was stumped on how to do any upgrades.

Crutchfield has NO data on the CT, not even speaker sizes.
Thankfully the CT200h is all 4ohm, all barebones. Full range from the back of the HU. Very simple input/output. Non-nav cars anyway.

I could never pull this off in my IS200t. It has complex and crossed/filtered everything.
Old 02-22-19, 12:12 PM
14ct200h
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you think the Premium audio option system is all 4 ohm? If its not, is that still an issue if i were to install 4 ohm speakers?
Old 04-22-19, 09:14 PM
pius222
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great thread

Love to see your thread, the diary definitely creates interest. Just got my Ct last week, almost same as yours.
The following users liked this post:
Raidin (11-18-19)
Old 04-23-19, 07:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Next oil change coming up soon. For now, I guess I am doing 5,000 mile OCIs. Seems excessive. May have it blackstone tested just to get a feel for how long I can go. It's cheap and easy to do so for now it's OK. I will be using Amazon 0W-20 next. The money I saved on it went towards my oil filter.

And I refilled my tires to 40 psi. They were down to 32/32/32/29 PSI after 6 months or so when I put them all at about 40. The one low tire was just enough to trip the light. I think i'll check my tires every 2-3 months now just to make sure I'm getting maximum MPG.
Old 04-29-19, 12:57 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Performed oil change #2.

Tools/items used:

Amazon 0W-20
YZZA6 Genuine Toyota Filter
12031 Genuine Oil Drain Pan Gasket
Generic Toyota-Type oil filter housing wrench
10mm socket w/ 1/4" ratchet (for plastic drain cover)
14mm socket w/ 3/8" ratchet (for oil drain plug)
Flat tip screw driver (for oil filter housing safety pin)
Funnel
Drain pan
Blanket to lay on
Ramps
Jack stands (for added safety under car)
Nitrile rubber gloves
Flashlight

Tip: when I first did this job the first time on this car, I noticed a hardened circular ring around where I removed the oil drain plug. Tried removing it with my finger but it wouldn't budge. Was contemplating whether or not this was cast into the pan itself and metal. I even tried prying it with a screwdriver. Didn't budge. I figured it was part of the pan.

This time around I noticed the oil pan was slightly wet with oil near the gasket so I figured I had a double gasket on there when I did the change the first time. Sure enough this time the OLD gasket doubled up w/ the gasket i installed and it came off easy. so I can confirm for anyone else that runs into this the pan should be completely smooth around where the drain plug installs. No lip. It's just a stubborn hardened stuck on gasket. I cleaned the pan and drain plug with rubbing alcohol.

Don't forget the oil drain gasket (it's on top of the Toyota box).

Forgot to pre-soak the filter with oil. But the engine started right up with only a hint of chatter for a split second.

Last step: go to Lexusdrivers.com and enter in oil change info for record keeping

Last edited by E46CT; 04-29-19 at 01:03 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 05:24 PM
Miamiboy87
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Do you need the oil pan gaskets or did you just wanted to replace them? Also, is the oil filter housing wrench really needed? Thanks.

Quick Reply: E46CT CT200h Diary (w/ pictures)