E46CT CT200h Diary (w/ pictures) - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
CT 200h Model (2011-present)

E46CT CT200h Diary (w/ pictures)

 
Old 02-19-19, 12:39 PM
  #46  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,177
Thanked 295 Times in 242 Posts
Default

Correct I use an adapter 6x9 to 6.5" for the front. They are Polk Audio 120w rms per pair. I think they are split up between the tweeters so it's probably less going to them. it's conservative
E46CT is offline  
Old 02-19-19, 12:54 PM
  #47  
RG13
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MD
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post
Correct I use an adapter 6x9 to 6.5" for the front. They are Polk Audio 120w rms per pair. I think they are split up between the tweeters so it's probably less going to them. it's conservative
Did you mount the tweeters in the dash speaker spot? You mentioned the wiring and install was a pain, what was challenging?

Sorry for all the questions! It seems like youíre pretty familiar with working on this car.
RG13 is offline  
Old 02-19-19, 01:11 PM
  #48  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,177
Thanked 295 Times in 242 Posts
Default

The speakers I used Polk DB651 come with the tweeters built into the speaker. For tweeters, I bought some aftermarket tweeters, and mounted them with slight trimming/modification of said speakers. I think they are Rockford Fosgate speakers. But really most 4 inchers would work. I thought about running no tweeters so tried it for a while without tweeters. Decided ultimately it sounded a tad better with them. Even if it is cutting some power from the door speakers. The sound reflecting off the windshield really helps.

Wiring wasn't really a pain, just time consuming. It is a bit of a chore to run them around the hybrid battery as to not get hung up around any sharp edges. Secure everything down nicely and zip tie them. And run them down the passenger side and above the passenger footwell plastic trim and behind the radio. I basically ran wires from the headunit output to the amp input (in the "trunk") and RCA pair from the amp output to a line out converter spliced to the wires leading to the speakers (at the back of the headunit)

Basically the stock wires leading from the back of the headunit TO the speakers had to be cut.

The sound is amazingly loud and clear. Almost gives you goosebumps when playing a song with nice vocals. No distortion whatsoever.

Of course it's a budget setup and you can certainly do cleaner installs with a headunit that has cleaner output, but I want to retain a stock classy look and not go all 1990s.
E46CT is offline  
Old 02-19-19, 01:19 PM
  #49  
RG13
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MD
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post
The speakers I used Polk DB651 come with the tweeters built into the speaker. For tweeters, I bought some aftermarket tweeters, and mounted them with slight trimming/modification of said speakers. I think they are Rockford Fosgate speakers. But really most 4 inchers would work. I thought about running no tweeters so tried it for a while without tweeters. Decided ultimately it sounded a tad better with them. Even if it is cutting some power from the door speakers. The sound reflecting off the windshield really helps.

Wiring wasn't really a pain, just time consuming. It is a bit of a chore to run them around the hybrid battery as to not get hung up around any sharp edges. Secure everything down nicely and zip tie them. And run them down the passenger side and above the passenger footwell plastic trim and behind the radio. I basically ran wires from the headunit output to the amp input (in the "trunk") and RCA pair from the amp output to a line out converter spliced to the wires leading to the speakers (at the back of the headunit)

Basically the stock wires leading from the back of the headunit TO the speakers had to be cut.

The sound is amazingly loud and clear. Almost gives you goosebumps when playing a song with nice vocals. No distortion whatsoever.

Of course it's a budget setup and you can certainly do cleaner installs with a headunit that has cleaner output, but I want to retain a stock classy look and not go all 1990s.
Thanks for the info! Funny you mentioned retaining the stock look, there isnít a dash kit available for the CT. Iím thinking Iím gonna use a DSP to have better control of the tuning.

Iíll probably run components in the front doors at 55w RMS and a 10Ē sub at 200w RMS. I was originally going to use a 4 channel amp and bridge the rear channels but I think it would sound better to use a separate mono amp for the sub.

My previous system would seriously crank but I donít want to push the limits in the hybrid system.
RG13 is offline  
Old 02-19-19, 01:27 PM
  #50  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,177
Thanked 295 Times in 242 Posts
Default

Yeah. Ultimately the hybrid battery pack is powering (or at least recharges the 12V as it gets drained) your sound system and draining it even faster defeats the purpose of the hybrid system. So I went for a sound system light and normally only play it at low to moderate volume. I can still get 50-55mpg highway cranking tunes. And overall 38-41mpg avg normally. So pretty much unchanged before and after.
E46CT is offline  
Old 02-19-19, 01:31 PM
  #51  
RG13
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: MD
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post
Yeah. Ultimately the hybrid battery pack is powering (or at least recharges the 12V as it gets drained) your sound system and draining it even faster defeats the purpose of the hybrid system. So I went for a sound system light and normally only play it at low to moderate volume. I can still get 50-55mpg highway cranking tunes. And overall 38-41mpg avg normally. So pretty much unchanged before and after.
Thatís good to know. Now I just have to decide if I want to do the sound system or new wheels and tires first lol.
RG13 is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 09:37 AM
  #52  
14ct200h
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by E46CT View Post
Correct I use an adapter 6x9 to 6.5" for the front. They are Polk Audio 120w rms per pair. I think they are split up between the tweeters so it's probably less going to them. it's conservative
Are you using an amp to power those speakers up? So you just changed out the front and dash speakers and made a huge improvement? How are you connecting the speakers up to the OEM speaker connection?
14ct200h is offline  
Old 02-20-19, 01:15 PM
  #53  
KLF
Lead Lap
 
KLF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NH
Posts: 497
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by 14ct200h View Post
Are you using an amp to power those speakers up? So you just changed out the front and dash speakers and made a huge improvement? How are you connecting the speakers up to the OEM speaker connection?
Yeah, this is what I want to know. How to did you interface the new speakers to the factory head unit? Add an amp? My experience with Toyota/Lexus audio recently is it is all proprietary, and difficult to upgrade. All the 12 speakers in my Land Cruiser are 2 ohm impedance, for instance. I am not impressed with the high $$$ JBL system in this truck, but even Crutchfield was stumped on how to do any upgrades.

Crutchfield has NO data on the CT, not even speaker sizes.
KLF is offline  
Old 02-21-19, 08:40 AM
  #54  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,177
Thanked 295 Times in 242 Posts
Default

No. See post 48. I wired up a two channel amp. Also to correct my earlier post I installed Focal Integration speakers. not polk. Polk was my first CT200h. Mixed those brands up.
E46CT is offline  
Old 02-21-19, 08:41 AM
  #55  
E46CT
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
E46CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: CA
Posts: 3,177
Thanked 295 Times in 242 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KLF View Post
Yeah, this is what I want to know. How to did you interface the new speakers to the factory head unit? Add an amp? My experience with Toyota/Lexus audio recently is it is all proprietary, and difficult to upgrade. All the 12 speakers in my Land Cruiser are 2 ohm impedance, for instance. I am not impressed with the high $$$ JBL system in this truck, but even Crutchfield was stumped on how to do any upgrades.

Crutchfield has NO data on the CT, not even speaker sizes.
Thankfully the CT200h is all 4ohm, all barebones. Full range from the back of the HU. Very simple input/output. Non-nav cars anyway.

I could never pull this off in my IS200t. It has complex and crossed/filtered everything.
E46CT is offline  
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
  #56  
14ct200h
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: CA
Posts: 61
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Do you think the Premium audio option system is all 4 ohm? If its not, is that still an issue if i were to install 4 ohm speakers?
14ct200h is offline  
 


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: