CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Cree LED Light

Old 10-06-18, 04:13 PM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Cree LED Light

All,

i have been trying to replace halogens with Cree H11 LED bulbs, however for some reason it does not fit in the socket,comes off easy no matter how i twist it , not sure if i am doing anything wrong, anyone with Cree LED please let me know if you guys had any install issues (2013 vt200h F sport).
Old 10-06-18, 04:54 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,682 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Cree makes light emitting diodes not complete bulbs. What product exactly do you have?
Old 10-06-18, 10:55 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I have swapped out the halogen bulbs for both low beams and fogs whit LEDs.

Just make sure you get FANLESS LEDs. The ones with fans will fail prematurely.

Do a search on this forum and you'll see which LEDs I used. I also swapped out the halogen fogs on my RX450h and LX570 (both of these vehicles already had HID low/high beams, but had halogen fogs). There are going strong even after some 4 years now.

Some members on this forum will look down/critize on Amazon/EBay "cheap LEDs" and will support the much higher priced "name brands". But I go for what works for me and "my wallet". BTW, I did multiple passby drives with my wife driving another vehicle as we pass each other on totally dark two lane roads and it's bright, but NOT BLINDING.

Originally Posted by jbny
All,

i have been trying to replace halogens with Cree H11 LED bulbs, however for some reason it does not fit in the socket,comes off easy no matter how i twist it , not sure if i am doing anything wrong, anyone with Cree LED please let me know if you guys had any install issues (2013 vt200h F sport).
The following users liked this post:
1stock06 (01-16-20)
Old 10-07-18, 04:04 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I went with the led bulbs you suggested about 1 year ago and they just died. I was running led lows and hid fogs. The hid has been in other cars. They probably have about 4 years of service on them. Now I went back to full hid lows and hid fogs, I'm much happier with the light output. Didn't realize the light output from the led decreased over time. Until I changed them out. I don't think I'll be doing led again. At least with hid, it's either on or off. I kept thinking man I'm getting old, or I really need to take this tint(full 55%) off my windshield.

Some may love led, I know I did at first now after a year.... I'm back to hid and happy!😁
Old 10-07-18, 07:44 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

According to ALL sources (credible or not)........for example, Wikipedia, it is a generally accepted fact that: "lumen output of HID lighting can deteriorate by up to 70% over 10,000 burning hours."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
"Brand new high-intensity discharge lamps make more visible light per unit of electric power consumed than fluorescent and incandescent lamps, since a greater proportion of their radiation is visible light in contrast to infrared. However, the lumen output of HID lighting can deteriorate by up to 70% over 10,000 burning hours.

Many modern vehicles use HID bulbs for the main lighting systems, some applications are now moving from HID bulbs to LED and laser technology.[1]However, this HID technology is not new and was first demonstrated by Francis Hauksbee in 1705."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The LEDs will degrade as well. So will halogens.

The only one MOST LIKELY NOT to degrade is "LASER LIGHTING".

So the fact that you chaned from LED to HID may simply due to the fact the HID bulbs are NEW!!!

The progression of "progress" is from halogen >>> HID >>>> LED >>>>> LASER.

You are going BACK IN TIME!!!

Mine is working just fine and with no problems. LEDs are easy to install whereas HID is just pain in the **** with all that blasts and extra wires.....

Whatever works for you is what counts.

Originally Posted by gshadow325
I went with the led bulbs you suggested about 1 year ago and they just died. I was running led lows and hid fogs. The hid has been in other cars. They probably have about 4 years of service on them. Now I went back to full hid lows and hid fogs, I'm much happier with the light output. Didn't realize the light output from the led decreased over time. Until I changed them out. I don't think I'll be doing led again. At least with hid, it's either on or off. I kept thinking man I'm getting old, or I really need to take this tint(full 55%) off my windshield.

Some may love led, I know I did at first now after a year.... I'm back to hid and happy!😁
Old 10-07-18, 08:20 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

The hid I reinstalled were ones I taken out when I read your post and bought there Amazon led. They are old ones with even older ballasts from 2013.

Yeah to you I'm stepping back in time. LEd replacement bulbs are no there yet due to the nature of them. Direct lighting versus indirect 360 degree lighting from conventional bulbs and hid replacements.

I don't feel that led work better as a replacement in a housing original designed for halogen bulbs just due to the nature of how light is transmitted with a led.

I'll stick with old school until there is a great replacement. Your suggestion was a good replacement but to me not significantly better than hid.
Old 10-07-18, 11:51 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 121 Posts

I just want to chime in and say that I have the factory LED headlights / fog lights on my CT. I have been driving it for over 40 hours a week, so half of that with the headlights on, for the 4 years I've owned it. That puts me in the neighborhood of 4k hours of lighting.

While the gradual deterioration of lighting would make it difficult to notice, my lights still shine brighter than most cars on the road and I still see very well with them. To my eyes, they look like they did when I bought the car. I even took pictures of the lighting at night when I first bought the car because I didn't know what the drop-off was on the left side and thought it was a fault in the lighting, so I could always take new pictures for comparison if anyone wanted to see that.

Also, keep in mind that if I have 420k+ miles on my car, and I'm only at 4k hours on my LEDs, that most of you will never come close to really losing your LED lumen output in any significant way.
Old 10-07-18, 12:27 PM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

I only talk about the light output degrading on the after market led set. I'm sure quality on factory lights are going to at least last 50k miles and 4 years. These Amazon ones lasted less than 12 months and 20k miles.
Old 10-07-18, 05:13 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Well, you'll be waiting, waiting, and waiting for a long, long, long, time for sure until the cows come home.

It's like the people waiting for the "best computer" or "best smart phone" to come out. These folks will be waiting FOREVER.

Did I mention LONG TIME AGO people used candles inside a lantern on their horse carriage?

Originally Posted by gshadow325
The hid I reinstalled were ones I taken out when I read your post and bought there Amazon led. They are old ones with even older ballasts from 2013.

Yeah to you I'm stepping back in time. LEd replacement bulbs are no there yet due to the nature of them. Direct lighting versus indirect 360 degree lighting from conventional bulbs and hid replacements.

I don't feel that led work better as a replacement in a housing original designed for halogen bulbs just due to the nature of how light is transmitted with a led.

I'll stick with old school until there is a great replacement. Your suggestion was a good replacement but to me not significantly better than hid.
Old 10-07-18, 05:30 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, but defects STILL can occur in any manufacturering of anything.

​​​​​​Another thing is COST. The cost of the aftermarket LED bulbs I got for my CT200h is around $89 or less for the pair. If these burn out in a year, I'm ok with it and will get replacement. If you read my prior postings, you will see one of the pair of LEDs that I got from the beginning burnt out shortly after a year. I contacted the vendor on Amazon, he asked me to send in a picture of the LED bulb with its wire harness cut to show I had randered it non-usable. He promptly sent me another pair of LEDs FREE of charge that were the "next generation" since they did not make the ones I had bought anymore. I'm still using the replacement ones he had sent. Also the aftermarket LED fogs on my RX450h and LX570 are still the very ORIGINAL ones I ordered from that AMAZON vendor. These are running strong!!!

If you want ORIGINAL FACTORY LED units, then it will COST YOU A LOT. For example the optional LEDs that came OEM Lexus on my RCF cost around $3500 per side, as I recall, to replace (that's assuming the original RCF came from factory with LEDs bc one can not just get the LEDs and slap them on due to the ecu/controller not recognizing the LEDs). The CT200h has a much simpler setup. I'm sure you paid a lot more than $89 for the HID setup you got now.

The bottom line is do whatever makes you happy.

It's all good.

QUOTE=gshadow325;10326717]I only talk about the light output degrading on the after market led set. I'm sure quality on factory lights are going to at least last 50k miles and 4 years. These Amazon ones lasted less than 12 months and 20k miles.[/QUOTE]
Old 10-07-18, 06:37 PM
jbny
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

this is what it says -
Car Rover 30W Cree Chips 2S LED Headlight Super Bright 3600LM 6000K Headlamp - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs - H11 Car Rover 30W Cree Chips 2S LED Headlight Super Bright 3600LM 6000K Headlamp - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs - H11

I don't see it anymore in Amazon, i will try to send a pic but it should be a direct replacement for H11 bulbs, however it's a loose fit and comes off easy, not sure if i am doing something wrong.
Old 10-08-18, 01:01 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The ones I got are no longer available for some reason. I do see others available. But they all got fans which is not what I got. Maybe they have improved the fan design? IDK . Prices are half or less than what I got before. One unit by Car Rover even says DOT approved? And has a THREE year warranty!!!

Originally Posted by jbny
this is what it says - Car Rover 30W Cree Chips 2S LED Headlight Super Bright 3600LM 6000K Headlamp - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs - H11

I don't see it anymore in Amazon, i will try to send a pic but it should be a direct replacement for H11 bulbs, however it's a loose fit and comes off easy, not sure if i am doing something wrong.
Old 10-08-18, 10:36 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

You do not want to install those. The H11 projectors your headlights use are not designed for ANYTHING ELSE but halogen bulbs. LEDs that do not have active cooling systems simply do NOT have enough power to be effective. And even if they did, they're in the entirely wrong projection system.

The proper way to upgrade your lighting is to do a proper projector retrofit that uses HID/bi-xenon.

Do not think you are being "modern" and "smart" by installing LEDs. LEDs for the purposes of automotive headlight systems are a particularly designed system. It has to be powerful, it has to have the optics designed for it, and it has to have a COOLING system for it. Slapping in cheap LED "bulbs" simply do not meet any of those requirements and are unsafe and unfit for the road.
Old 10-08-18, 10:37 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

By the way you can also retrofit Koito BI-LED units in your housings, but that is a totally custom job for the totally experienced. If you really wanted proper LED.

or you can just buy a set of used CT OE LED assemblies.
Old 10-08-18, 07:12 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Ok. You do yours and I DID mine already and is STILL working fine and YES, I CAN SEE IT CLEARLY NOW. Not a problem.

This is simply an alternative that is "cheaper". I know, I know, you want the BEST AND PROPER LIGHTING......but at what cost? And YES, these lighting companies spent lots of money in R&D (so they say), and therefore can justify the prices they charge to fatten their few top CEO's wallet while the rest of us will get "cheaper alternatives" that will work too. So mine cost some $89 a pair back a few years ago (now is like half the cost). Yours cost??? IDK, maybe few hundred or a couple thousand dollars? For a "USED LIGHT HOUSING"? To be a fair comparison, try calculate all new units, not used.
​​
It's just silly to argue anymore (to spend THAT much money on a three, four, or five year old "normal large volume production car". It's not a mission critical application, like lights on an airplane or ship or submarine or a lighthouse. Now if it was a Bugatti Veyron or similar, then ok fine. My cheap LED bulbs will not fit anyways!!! LOL

Originally Posted by E46CT
You do not want to install those. The H11 projectors your headlights use are not designed for ANYTHING ELSE but halogen bulbs. LEDs that do not have active cooling systems simply do NOT have enough power to be effective. And even if they did, they're in the entirely wrong projection system.

The proper way to upgrade your lighting is to do a proper projector retrofit that uses HID/bi-xenon.

Do not think you are being "modern" and "smart" by installing LEDs. LEDs for the purposes of automotive headlight systems are a particularly designed system. It has to be powerful, it has to have the optics designed for it, and it has to have a COOLING system for it. Slapping in cheap LED "bulbs" simply do not meet any of those requirements and are unsafe and unfit for the road.

Last edited by lexusrus; 10-08-18 at 07:43 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cree LED Light