CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Moved from a 13 Prius SE to 15 Lexus CT F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-18, 05:03 PM
Sfcyclist
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default From a 13 Prius SE to 15 Lexus CT F Sport

Just bought a 2015 Lexus CT F Sport and thought I say hello. I'm switching over from a 2013 Prius SE. What's interested is how different the cars are even though it has the same engine and transmission. Engine wise, it must be the tuning as the CT feels peppier off the line and overall driving around. Chassis and noise insulation there is NO comparison.

I just refilled the tank and the mpg's were very similar! Prius is better which is expected but not by too much.

About the CT;
2015 CT200h
Navigation Package
Premium Package
Display Audio Package
F-Sport

A few mods done and on the way;
Curt Hitch
Digital HID Kit.
Wheel Spacers front and rear

Last edited by Sfcyclist; 10-01-18 at 04:08 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 11:53 PM
macmaster
Pole Position

Received 1,923 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Congrats. I am a 2 Prius and 1 CT owner too. The CT is an amazing car, and yes, thank God it is built differently than the Prius from the ground up. I don't think I'll buy another Toyota/Prius. It just creaks and feels like a boat after a while. The Lexus is much better built and worth it.
Old 09-22-18, 01:27 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

To me a Pruis drives like a refrigerator!! Yes, one can get from point A to B with the Pruis, but why should I if I can do BETTER? Sure, I can ride a donkey, but not really......

Originally Posted by macmaster
Congrats. I am a 2 Prius and 1 CT owner too. The CT is an amazing car, and yes, thank God it is built differently than the Prius from the ground up. I don't think I'll buy another Toyota/Prius. It just creaks and feels like a boat after a while. The Lexus is much better built and worth it.
Old 09-24-18, 11:09 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

To be honest, I doubted I would buy the CT. I wrote if off because I was so tired lack of power in the Prius. WIth the same motor why would it be any different.. and then you also add the smaller size. The other big reason is I the stigma associated with the Prius. I drove it for 5 years it got pretty obvious after a while.

Good things about the Prius was it was spacious and hit the MPG's even in my hilly area. I did have the SE(Persona) which handled better as well due to 15" wheels. I also added TRD springs as well which reduced body roll.

Back to the CT, it really is amazing how different a car can be with a different chassis. I am certain the tuning on the motor is different as well. The big reasons I moved over was road noise dampening, peppier tuning and drastically improved chassis. The misses compared to Prius is interior space and blind spot(large b-pillar).

Debating about F-Sport blue Springs.. I assumed these came with the F-sport package... which it does not.
Old 09-24-18, 01:53 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

For me, the CT200h is the perfect commuter car especially in the city. Very easy to park and manuever around tight traffic. And best of all easy on gas.....
​​​​​​

Originally Posted by Sfcyclist
To be honest, I doubted I would buy the CT. I wrote if off because I was so tired lack of power in the Prius. WIth the same motor why would it be any different.. and then you also add the smaller size. The other big reason is I the stigma associated with the Prius. I drove it for 5 years it got pretty obvious after a while.

Good things about the Prius was it was spacious and hit the MPG's even in my hilly area. I did have the SE(Persona) which handled better as well due to 15" wheels. I also added TRD springs as well which reduced body roll.

Back to the CT, it really is amazing how different a car can be with a different chassis. I am certain the tuning on the motor is different as well. The big reasons I moved over was road noise dampening, peppier tuning and drastically improved chassis. The misses compared to Prius is interior space and blind spot(large b-pillar).

Debating about F-Sport blue Springs.. I assumed these came with the F-sport package... which it does not.
Old 09-27-18, 08:31 AM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Yeah Im in the same boat man, Id like the f-sport springs and I dont want coil overs thats to much. The expensive part about the springs is labor if you ask a shop to do it. But It really needs to be lowered to have better handling.
Old 09-27-18, 02:53 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,077 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Congrats.

Former 2015 Prius owner. Had a 2016 CT and now a 2015 CT. I have one identical to yours. 15 white F sport. just got it. And i have a 3IS.

i'll be posting a build thread soon. (no kid stuff like stancing, slamming, wheelz,) it'll be a fully mature and professional adult build. Decent quality sound system, advanced bi-xenon retrofit, dash cam, stuff like that.

I installed F Sport blue springs on my previous 2016 CT. i may get them again for my white one. Right amount of subtle drop.

As far as the handling, yes it handles pretty well for what it is. But feels like an absolute boat after driving my 3IS. The CT feels very top heavy and like i'm sort of sitting on a couch. Relatively speaking of course. My IS is slightly lowered, F Sport package, and has sticky tires. Totally different car. But the gen 3 Prius to CT handling gap is just as big.

Nevermind the dent.. will get that PDR'd. car came like that. rest of the car is absolutely mint!

The following users liked this post:
shadow1118 (09-27-18)
Old 09-27-18, 03:06 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Congrats.

Former 2015 Prius owner. Had a 2016 CT and now a 2015 CT. I have one identical to yours. 15 white F sport. just got it. And i have a 3IS.

i'll be posting a build thread soon. (no kid stuff like stancing, slamming, wheelz,) it'll be a fully mature and professional adult build. Decent quality sound system, advanced bi-xenon retrofit, dash cam, stuff like that.

I installed F Sport blue springs on my previous 2016 CT. i may get them again for my white one. Right amount of subtle drop.

As far as the handling, yes it handles pretty well for what it is. But feels like an absolute boat after driving my 3IS. The CT feels very top heavy and like i'm sort of sitting on a couch. Relatively speaking of course. My IS is slightly lowered, F Sport package, and has sticky tires. Totally different car. But the gen 3 Prius to CT handling gap is just as big.

Nevermind the dent.. will get that PDR'd. car came like that. rest of the car is absolutely mint!
yeah the IS has a double wishbone suspension and the CT200h is a mcphereson strut suspension in the front and tailing-arm type double wishbone suspension in the back so that may explain some differences. FWD vs RWD is a given. Both are fun to drive though. In your CT make sure to always be in sport for any sort of driving with a lot of turns for the added 150v of power from the battery and added electronic steering unique to that mode only. Im thinking about getting this & w/ springs is probably gonna be perfect. But yeah the IS is a completely car, Id be thankful you have a sweet DD while also having a badass weekend car and both Lexus.
Old 09-27-18, 03:11 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

the sport mode does make things easier and more fun. it almost feels like a normal car haha. but you do take a hit mpg wise.. around 35 mpg. where as driving in eco mode i can usually get 40-41.
Old 10-01-18, 09:05 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

The assessment about the CT handling vs. other cars are interesting. Coming from driving the Prius with Plus Springs for 5 years, the stock F Sport CT feels just right. Just as a reference point though, I also own a Porsche 911S and a RX350. The 911S is in another realm and the RX is a boat. If that's the scale from a 1(RX) to 10(911S being the 10), I would rate the CT a 6. For what it is, an Eco DD, it's perfect.
Old 10-01-18, 10:08 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

6 is about right. FWD based cars need a lot of trickery to get them over a 6. Maybe a Civic Type R or golf R is a 7 or 8.

Is your 911S a 991? would love to see some pics
Old 10-01-18, 10:48 AM
Sfcyclist
Driver

The 6 also takes into consideration what the car is for me, a Econony DD. For city streets this car is more than adequate. Overall the car is very balanced and still offers a nice ride. Though FWD cars do under steer, just adjust accordingly. I have yet to do get a chance to push the CT to that limit.

On the 911, where it's rear engine and rear wheel drive, it's a whole different kind of car. t took me some time to learn how to drive it but oh what fun once you do!, Tons of traction on the exit!

And oh, it's a 997, NA!

Last edited by Sfcyclist; 10-01-18 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-01-18, 10:54 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah definitely have to compare within its class. I'm not sure if there's a better handling economy hybrid out there? Haven't driven a Camry hybrid but the new chassis is supposed to be pretty good.
Old 10-01-18, 04:49 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

I used to own a 2014 Mustang GT with handling mods, 275/305 summer tires, and a 2016 Miata. Neither one could compare to my CT. Not because they didn't handle well, but because they were no where near as precise and confidence-inspiring. Neither one could hold a candle to the F Sport's tuning for body roll, which is non-existent in normal driving. Steering is also really high for the CT compared to many sports cars out there.

I have an RS3 now and it actually reminds me a lot of the CT because it handles and steers slightly better.
Old 10-01-18, 08:42 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

The assessment about the CT handling vs. other cars are interesting. Coming from driving the Prius with Plus Springs for 5 years, the stock F Sport CT feels just right. Just as a reference point though, I also own a Porsche 911S and a RX350. The 911S is in another realm and the RX is a boat. If that's the scale from a 1(RX) to 10(911S being the 10), I would rate the CT a 6. For what it is, an Eco DD, it's perfect.
I agree for what it is its perfect. For a DD you couldn't get better.

Quick Reply: Moved from a 13 Prius SE to 15 Lexus CT F Sport