CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

CT200h Scheduled Dealer Maintenance vs MUST DO Service for higher mileage cars?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-18, 09:36 AM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Question CT200h Scheduled Dealer Maintenance vs MUST DO Service for higher mileage cars?

Ok we all know the dealer recommended scheduled maintenance for 30k, 60k, 90k, 120k but it seems most of those jobs are just dealer incentives to make money as none of the critical stuff is being done.

As our cars age, what have you guys done or determine are must do items? We are the original owners of our CT200h and it's a 2012 model year my wife uses to commute. It's now approaching 150,000 trouble free miles but we want to do all the needed preventive work. Up to this point we have been using the dealer for all the routine services but it seems they have not done any of the critical items such as:

Spark Plugs
Water Pump assembly

Are there other critical items we are missing?

We went to a trusted shop and this is what they recommend:

1) Replace: air filter, acc cabin filter, 4 spark plugs, transmission oil, brake fluid, Mobil synthetic oil, oil filter. balance and rotate tires, check tires wear, check brake system, check suspension, etc

2) Change power control coolant system.

3) Optional: Replace engine water pump, thermostat & engine coolant system

For higher mileage cars in this range, what are the things we should do now vs. later? I've left of the obvious stuff such as tires, fluids and basic preventive maintenance which we do all of it ourselves.

thanks
rick
Old 08-23-18, 12:25 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

At 150K miles I would change the water pump and the coolant. I think the hybrid batteries has a coolant also needs to be changed? Maybe the two share the same red coolant? Also the thermostat.

Brake fluids too.

Differential oil (don't remember if front wheel drirve got this)?

Plus the following potential issues issues:
https://www.cars.com/articles/2011-2...1420688834742/

But overall it's a great car:
http://www.winknews.com/2016/10/24/l...ility-ratings/

Originally Posted by s4play
Ok we all know the dealer recommended scheduled maintenance for 30k, 60k, 90k, 120k but it seems most of those jobs are just dealer incentives to make money as none of the critical stuff is being done.

As our cars age, what have you guys done or determine are must do items? We are the original owners of our CT200h and it's a 2012 model year my wife uses to commute. It's now approaching 150,000 trouble free miles but we want to do all the needed preventive work. Up to this point we have been using the dealer for all the routine services but it seems they have not done any of the critical items such as:

Spark Plugs
Water Pump assembly

Are there other critical items we are missing?

We went to a trusted shop and this is what they recommend:

1) Replace: air filter, acc cabin filter, 4 spark plugs, transmission oil, brake fluid, Mobil synthetic oil, oil filter. balance and rotate tires, check tires wear, check brake system, check suspension, etc

2) Change power control coolant system.

3) Optional: Replace engine water pump, thermostat & engine coolant system

For higher mileage cars in this range, what are the things we should do now vs. later? I've left of the obvious stuff such as tires, fluids and basic preventive maintenance which we do all of it ourselves.

thanks
rick
Old 08-24-18, 07:51 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 210 Likes on 122 Posts

I've been maintaining my car only by what the manual calls for (which calls for spark plugs and both coolant systems flushed at their specified intervals among the other fluid changes), with two exceptions. I've been replacing my transmission fluid every 100k miles, which isn't called for in the manual, and I am still on my factory brake fluid. I haven't had any problems until 375k miles, where I blew my head gasket.

I'm not sure what the cause was exactly. Since I lost a coolant line (due to debris under the car on the highway) and the engine started to overheat. It's possible that that did it. There's also a history of intermittent initial failure of the water pump which could lead to minor overheating before the warning goes off. On top of that, there's the intake manifold and a history of the number 2 cylinder misfiring on very high mileage Prius', which could have led to it as well.

Once the repairs were done, it was discovered that 4 of the valve lifters were bad (I had them all replaced). The water pump was also replaced just to be safe since the engine was already opened up and I was planning to drive many more miles with this car.

While the TSB link lexusrus linked shows an intake manifold change, my 2014's TSB only called for a software update (which was also done at the time of repair), with older cars needing a new manifold. At 412k miles, the car has been running fine and I have never had the engine shudder issue since, or any other problems other than the transmission noise detailed in my thread on the head gasket issue here.
The following users liked this post:
s4play (08-24-18)
Old 08-24-18, 01:20 PM
KKM
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Maybe add EGR pipe cleaning, video of the Prius but same thing:

Old 08-27-18, 02:12 PM
s4play
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks guys, all great wealth of info!

Spoke to our service guy today and he told us our stock struts up front are gone so add that to the list of parts to replace

Any suggestions on what is a good replacement since we have to spend money anyways? Are there good aftermarket options?
Old 08-27-18, 03:15 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Do you feel anything wrong while driving with the alleged defective front struts?

Originally Posted by s4play
thanks guys, all great wealth of info!

Spoke to our service guy today and he told us our stock struts up front are gone so add that to the list of parts to replace

Any suggestions on what is a good replacement since we have to spend money anyways? Are there good aftermarket options?