Thinking about it

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-18, 03:53 PM
moneysaver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about it

Hey all,

BMW recently repurchased my newly signed lease BMW 3 series (Lemon'd). Anyway, my mom's 2015 Lexus CT 200h has 1 month left on her lease. I am thinking about purchasing the car because I have liked the car from the get go. It is not the first time I had trouble with BMW. I have always heard people say that Lexus has good reliability. I would like to take a break from leasing. On top of that, I like the brown leather interior, pearl white color and the MPG of the car. The car has 28,209 miles on it.

Lexus FS quoted me with license fee and taxes a total of ~$23k.

I was hoping maybe you all can convince me. I want to hear all your thoughts on this move.

Thanks all!

Old 07-13-18, 10:30 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

It depends on what you want the car do for you. Meaning do you have wife and kids and will be using the CT 200h as a family car? If you have just two kids or less (young small kids), then it will do for now. But if you have more family members or kids are older/teenagers, then I would say, it is too small. But if you have other vehicles for "family outings", and use the CT 200h as a daily commuter, then I would say go for it. If you are single and the CT200h will be great too.

Since you already know the service history of this CT200h AND YOU LIKE IT, then I would say go for it. Maybe try to get Lexus FS to reduce the price a bit more? It would not hurt to try. Just remember, if Lexus FS takes it back and try to resell it.........there are "some costs" associated with that. So there is a "number/price point" where Lexus FS will just let it go and let you have it for "a price". Just look up other CT200h sales price for comps in your area.

Also for the same price, it will be difficult to find another make/model that has the same criteria/drive feel/quality/reliability/etc. as the CT200h. So CT200h is unique in this regard. Example: Some may argue that "Why don't you just get a Pruis? It costs LESS and is THE SAME THING? " My response is NOT SO. One just has to drive the CT200h to experience it. Some still won't get it. But it's OK......it only leaves people like you and I with more choices of CT200h out there to choose from........LOL :-)

One thing for sure, the CT200h will more than likely be reliable for many many years to come. If you go for another BMW or any of the euro brands (even if brand new).........this CT200h will have the odds in your favor (reliability wise). If you have multiple vehicles just laying around, then the reliability issue is irrelevant to some extend because you are totally relying on it for transportation. But if the vehicle you decide to get (other than the CT200h) keeps breaking down and requires your attention (even under warranty and at no cost to you)........it is still a hassle and headache (as you had already found out with the BMW lemon).

Originally Posted by moneysaver
Hey all,

BMW recently repurchased my newly signed lease BMW 3 series (Lemon'd). Anyway, my mom's 2015 Lexus CT 200h has 1 month left on her lease. I am thinking about purchasing the car because I have liked the car from the get go. It is not the first time I had trouble with BMW. I have always heard people say that Lexus has good reliability. I would like to take a break from leasing. On top of that, I like the brown leather interior, pearl white color and the MPG of the car. The car has 28,209 miles on it.

Lexus FS quoted me with license fee and taxes a total of ~$23k.

I was hoping maybe you all can convince me. I want to hear all your thoughts on this move.

Thanks all!

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-13-18 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-14-18, 11:02 AM
moneysaver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusrus
It depends on what you want the car do for you. Meaning do you have wife and kids and will be using the CT 200h as a family car? If you have just two kids or less (young small kids), then it will do for now. But if you have more family members or kids are older/teenagers, then I would say, it is too small. But if you have other vehicles for "family outings", and use the CT 200h as a daily commuter, then I would say go for it. If you are single and the CT200h will be great too.

Since you already know the service history of this CT200h AND YOU LIKE IT, then I would say go for it. Maybe try to get Lexus FS to reduce the price a bit more? It would not hurt to try. Just remember, if Lexus FS takes it back and try to resell it.........there are "some costs" associated with that. So there is a "number/price point" where Lexus FS will just let it go and let you have it for "a price". Just look up other CT200h sales price for comps in your area.

Also for the same price, it will be difficult to find another make/model that has the same criteria/drive feel/quality/reliability/etc. as the CT200h. So CT200h is unique in this regard. Example: Some may argue that "Why don't you just get a Pruis? It costs LESS and is THE SAME THING? " My response is NOT SO. One just has to drive the CT200h to experience it. Some still won't get it. But it's OK......it only leaves people like you and I with more choices of CT200h out there to choose from........LOL :-)

One thing for sure, the CT200h will more than likely be reliable for many many years to come. If you go for another BMW or any of the euro brands (even if brand new).........this CT200h will have the odds in your favor (reliability wise). If you have multiple vehicles just laying around, then the reliability issue is irrelevant to some extend because you are totally relying on it for transportation. But if the vehicle you decide to get (other than the CT200h) keeps breaking down and requires your attention (even under warranty and at no cost to you)........it is still a hassle and headache (as you had already found out with the BMW lemon).
Wow! Really appreciate your input. What year is yours? How much miles you have? And have you had any issues yet?

Actually, I am 25, single with no kids. I drive to client's house day in and out. The reason I am switching from leasing to ownership is because it will cut my cost and help me save a lot of money. Plus, i am looking to keep it long term. At least up to 200k miles. At the same time, I am reallocating the money I am going to save into some real estate deals. I feel like the ct200h will give me luxury, reliability and good gas MPG.

I plan on going to my credit union and getting the loan there. Lexus FS is financing me and the interest rate is ~4.9%. That is quite high for interest rate.

Also, the sales guy wants to buy us out of the CT. Giving us 1500 rebate for picking up another lexus. I am curious to know as to why.
Old 07-14-18, 02:39 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

My CT200h is 2013 bought new loaded without the "FSport", but got everything else except heads up display and ML audio. Anyway, trouble free and currently at 56K miles. Just do the routine maintenance and good to go.

I'm more used to cars with LOTS more power, so when I drive the CT200h, I tend to smash the gas paddle all the time. So by doing that, my mpg drops down to like low 30's in Sport mode. If I drive NORMALLY in SoCal stop and go traffic, I get around 44 mpg easily AND THAT'S WITH REGULAR GAS!! Keep in mind this is way better than my other cars: RCF, LX570, and MB SLK55 AMG (recently traded in). Still a little bit better than our RX450h.

Another vehicle you might want to check out is the MB GLA250. I traded my old MB SLK55 AMG for the GLA. This is for my teenage son to drive around in SoCal. I was gonna to just give him the SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE, but decided it would not be a good idea. Needed to get something less HP and MORE BORING!!! I got 2015 MB GLA 250 4Matic with low miles and official MB Certified from an OUT OF STATE MB DEALERSHIP near where I work. It was a great deal and I got the MB DEALER to throw in (at very low cost) official MB extended warranty (unlimited mileage) for two additional years beyond what the MB CPO's 1 year. So 4+1+2=7 years total from date of first service. Unlimited mileage warranty all the way to the year 2022. There is no way I'm buying a Benz without warranty coverage for the entire duration that I plan on keeping it. The turbo I4 engine can really scoot. And still get 32 mpg on the highway!! You might ask why I didn't just get another Lexus? (CT200h or NX200T OR ?). Well, the Lexus DEALERSHIPS I was dealing with did not want to discount and all of them thought they got some hot stuff for sale!! Lexus would have been more reliable. Heck I was looking at the Subaru Forester too!! But none will give me a great deal. In the end I got the MB GLA250 4 Matic out of state and shipped to SoCal. Overall including shipping (which was in the price) and all that MB extended warranty still came out a few thousands less vs a comparable one in SoCal WITHOUT any extra extended warranty!! I PURPOSELY WENT IN to make THE DEAL at the END of June (the end of their second quarter)!!!

I would advise to stick with the CT200h for it's reliability and lower cost (AND in your case known car history). If you had readily access to other cars to drive around (in case your primary car is down. E.g. in the case of car trouble with the GLA for my son, he could drive our other cars until repairs are made.), then I would say to check out other options, like the GLA250.

Reliability of the CT200h?? Just look around at major airports. At LAX you see LOTS of Toyota Prius Taxi Cabs cruising around. If you ask the drivers, you will find out most of them go to 350K miles without ANY issues with the hybrid batteries (or any other issues for that matter). Even if you do, there are plenty of rebuilt hybrid batteries from Pruis that you can swap out at a reasonable prices from reputable shops who specializes in these day in and day out.

If you live in VERY COLD CLIMATES, there is a known issue with "Cold Soak" with the engine and Toyota/Lexus HQ already knows about. If you live in the warmer climates, I don't think it will be an issue.

With regards to the Lexus dealership offering you money if you turn that CT200h in and get something else......keep in mind THEY MAKE MONEY anytime you play THEIR musical car game!!! Plus if you finance your new ride, THEY can take another jab at the money making game from you!!! Interest rate is always higher with a "used car" vs brand new. After you get your quote from the Credit Union, ASK the Lexus financial services to match it BETTER by 0.5%. Say you got quoted 4.0%. Just ask Lexus if they can do 3.0% (without revealing what your qoute was at the Credit Union)? If you have top tier credit, you probably can do better. So more than likely, Lexus will come back and say, 3.5% IF YOU SIGN UP FOR AUTO WITHDRAWAL FROM YOUR BANK which is routine anyways. Lastly AVOID ANY OF THE DEALER'S LAST attempt to sell you ANY ADD ON's.......UNLESS IT MADE SENSE FOR YOU. Most of the add ON's at Lexus dealership for a Lexus DID NOT MAKE ANY SENSE FOR ME.

Wow! Really appreciate your input. What year is yours? How much miles you have? And have you had any issues yet?

Actually, I am 25, single with no kids. I drive to client's house day in and out. The reason I am switching from leasing to ownership is because it will cut my cost and help me save a lot of money. Plus, i am looking to keep it long term. At least up to 200k miles. At the same time, I am reallocating the money I am going to save into some real estate deals. I feel like the ct200h will give me luxury, reliability and good gas MPG.

I plan on going to my credit union and getting the loan there. Lexus FS is financing me and the interest rate is ~4.9%. That is quite high for interest rate.

Also, the sales guy wants to buy us out of the CT. Giving us 1500 rebate for picking up another lexus. I am curious to know as to why.

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-14-18 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-14-18, 03:59 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I totally agree with lexusrus. I currently have a 2011 CT 200h and it's been a great car. I do oil and filter changes every 5K miles. I did have to replace the blower motor, which is the only major issue so far. The CT is a bit on the smaller side if you have a growing family but it's a great commuter car and as you know very comfortable. Good luck with your decision.

At the end of this year Lexus will introduce the UX 200 and UX 250h which is a smaller CUV slotted below the NX. Maybe that is another vehicle you can check out.
The following users liked this post:
moneysaver (07-24-18)
Old 07-15-18, 12:45 PM
moneysaver
Driver School Candidate

My CT200h is 2013 bought new loaded without the "FSport", but got everything else except heads up display and ML audio. Anyway, trouble free and currently at 56K miles. Just do the routine maintenance and good to go.

I'm more used to cars with LOTS more power, so when I drive the CT200h, I tend to smash the gas paddle all the time. So by doing that, my mpg drops down to like low 30's in Sport mode. If I drive NORMALLY in SoCal stop and go traffic, I get around 44 mpg easily AND THAT'S WITH REGULAR GAS!! Keep in mind this is way better than my other cars: RCF, LX570, and MB SLK55 AMG (recently traded in). Still a little bit better than our RX450h.

Another vehicle you might want to check out is the MB GLA250. I traded my old MB SLK55 AMG for the GLA. This is for my teenage son to drive around in SoCal. I was gonna to just give him the SLK55 AMG HARDTOP CONVERTIBLE, but decided it would not be a good idea. Needed to get something less HP and MORE BORING!!! I got 2015 MB GLA 250 4Matic with low miles and official MB Certified from an OUT OF STATE MB DEALERSHIP near where I work. It was a great deal and I got the MB DEALER to throw in (at very low cost) official MB extended warranty (unlimited mileage) for two additional years beyond what the MB CPO's 1 year. So 4+1+2=7 years total from date of first service. Unlimited mileage warranty all the way to the year 2022. There is no way I'm buying a Benz without warranty coverage for the entire duration that I plan on keeping it. The turbo I4 engine can really scoot. And still get 32 mpg on the highway!! You might ask why I didn't just get another Lexus? (CT200h or NX200T OR ?). Well, the Lexus DEALERSHIPS I was dealing with did not want to discount and all of them thought they got some hot stuff for sale!! Lexus would have been more reliable. Heck I was looking at the Subaru Forester too!! But none will give me a great deal. In the end I got the MB GLA250 4 Matic out of state and shipped to SoCal. Overall including shipping (which was in the price) and all that MB extended warranty still came out a few thousands less vs a comparable one in SoCal WITHOUT any extra extended warranty!! I PURPOSELY WENT IN to make THE DEAL at the END of June (the end of their second quarter)!!!

I would advise to stick with the CT200h for it's reliability and lower cost (AND in your case known car history). If you had readily access to other cars to drive around (in case your primary car is down. E.g. in the case of car trouble with the GLA for my son, he could drive our other cars until repairs are made.), then I would say to check out other options, like the GLA250.

Reliability of the CT200h?? Just look around at major airports. At LAX you see LOTS of Toyota Prius Taxi Cabs cruising around. If you ask the drivers, you will find out most of them go to 350K miles without ANY issues with the hybrid batteries (or any other issues for that matter). Even if you do, there are plenty of rebuilt hybrid batteries from Pruis that you can swap out at a reasonable prices from reputable shops who specializes in these day in and day out.

If you live in VERY COLD CLIMATES, there is a known issue with "Cold Soak" with the engine and Toyota/Lexus HQ already knows about. If you live in the warmer climates, I don't think it will be an issue.

With regards to the Lexus dealership offering you money if you turn that CT200h in and get something else......keep in mind THEY MAKE MONEY anytime you play THEIR musical car game!!! Plus if you finance your new ride, THEY can take another jab at the money making game from you!!! Interest rate is always higher with a "used car" vs brand new. After you get your quote from the Credit Union, ASK the Lexus financial services to match it BETTER by 0.5%. Say you got quoted 4.0%. Just ask Lexus if they can do 3.0% (without revealing what your qoute was at the Credit Union)? If you have top tier credit, you probably can do better. So more than likely, Lexus will come back and say, 3.5% IF YOU SIGN UP FOR AUTO WITHDRAWAL FROM YOUR BANK which is routine anyways. Lastly AVOID ANY OF THE DEALER'S LAST attempt to sell you ANY ADD ON's.......UNLESS IT MADE SENSE FOR YOU. Most of the add ON's at Lexus dealership for a Lexus DID NOT MAKE ANY SENSE FOR ME.

Appreciate all your input here!! I am used to car with lots of power too, that's why I drive the 3 series - but I figured, that's not my goal anymore. Plus, with the heavy traffic in SoCal, I just tend to get road rage with the stupid drivers around. lol. I put in about 15k to 17k miles per year. I would really appreciate the gas cost I am going to save with the switch to CT 200H. MB GLA 250 would be a little out of the price range - I don't think it would give me the same reliability at the CT and same MPG.

Do you mind telling me which Lexus dealer you dealt with? I am currently dealing with Lexus at Longo Toyota.
Old 07-15-18, 12:49 PM
moneysaver
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Trexus
I totally agree with lexusrus. I currently have a 2011 CT 200h and it's been a great car. I do oil and filter changes every 5K miles. I did have to replace the blower motor, which is the only major issue so far. The CT is a bit on the smaller side if you have a growing family but it's a great commuter car and as you know very comfortable. Good luck with your decision.

At the end of this year Lexus will introduce the UX 200 and UX 250h which is a smaller CUV slotted below the NX. Maybe that is another vehicle you can check out.
Thank you for all your input here! How much miles do you currently have on your 2011 CT? Are you still under warranty?
Blower motor is not much of a major issue - but I am curious, how much did it cost? Haha, luckily I do not plan to grow family until 3 or 4+ years. Even then, the girl I am dating is looking to pick up the big car.

UX 200/250H is a bit on a big side. Not really a hatch anymore, but more like a crossover SUV.

Old 07-15-18, 03:35 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The ORIGINAL FACTORY Lexus WARRANTY is as follows:
>>>>>>>>>>>>

BASIC WARRANTY. The Basic Warrantycoverage is for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Wheel alignment and balancing are covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Lexus Warranty | Lexus.com

Lexus › warranty
>>>>>>>>>>>

THE "L" Certified Lexus used car warranty (IF YOU BUY IT FROM A LEXUS DEALER. If you buy it from other than from a Lexus DEALERSHIP, then you are on your own.) is BETTER due to its UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTY as follow:
>>>>>>>>>>>
"What is the warranty on a certified Lexus?
The Lexus certified pre-owned (CPO) warrantyoffers limited bumper-to-bumper coverage for 6 years and an unlimited mileage period starting from the vehicle's original purchase date. Roadside assistance, 2-years or 20,000 free scheduled maintenance and a complimentary loaner car are also included."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

However, the "L Certified" Lexus vehicles from a Lexus dealership will generally cost you around 2 to 3 grand more. The roadside assistance is irrelevant to me bc I have AAA. The loaner is irrelevant to me as well bc if I take any of my old out of warranty Lexus vehicles to a Lexus dealership for service, I can arrange for a loaner anyways.

Lastly, the unlimited mileage warranty is ONLY RELEVANT IF ONE DRIVES A LOT. I MEAN A LOT within the 6 years from the date of "first put into service". Also if one DID NOT FOLLOW the recommended routine service schedule, then Lexus COULD deny you any related warranty issues. Also if one had done some mods, Lexus COULD deny any related warranty issues. While it is true YOU DO NOT HAVE to get the Lexus routine maintenance serviced at a Lexus dealership bc it is illegal for the Lexus HQ to tell you otherwise (you just have to prove that it was done on time CORRECTLY AND WITH THE CORRECT FLUIDS.) , IT is just a hassle to play the finger pointing game. With the above in mind, odds are STILL in your favor with a Lexus for any unanticipated breakdowns.

You would be surprised on the price of a gently used MB CPO GLA250. It's just depends on the timing, color, location, model year, and options on it. Mine is a 2015 MB GLA250 4Matic, Mountain Grey, Premium One package, rear camera, blind side monitor, 19 inch optional OEM wheels with Michilin run flats, prewired for Garman Pilot (which is garbage anyway), OFF ROAD package (not likely we are going for rock climbing anytime soon), Keyless GO, Harmon Kardon Premium Sound System with a OEM subwoofer in the back (it's an ok system. Not as good as the optional ML found in Lexus), NO BiXeon/LED headlights andNO SUNROOF. But it did have as a standard feature the "Collision Prevention Assist Plus" where if the driver is not paying attention to what's ahead, it will auto brake. I think the NO SUNROOF, NO BiXeon/LED and 2015 year model (first production year) was a turn off for a lot of people. The dealership knew it and I even told them so. That GLA2504Matic had just gotten to the MB DEALERSHIP just a few days ago and put on the lot. Also it was located in the "warmer climate areas" so nobody wanted a 4Matic (hence more potential maintenance and lower mpg). I wanted the 4Matic for the ski slopes/mountains so it worked Perfectly. I don't care for MB's panoramic sunroof bc you can not black out the sun completely. Plus if the ski racks or the cross bars are in place, the sun roof can not be opened. The price was right and I went for it. If I could have gotten the Lexus dealership to lower its price on an NX200T, I would have gone for the Lexus.

Appreciate all your input here!! I am used to car with lots of power too, that's why I drive the 3 series - but I figured, that's not my goal anymore. Plus, with the heavy traffic in SoCal, I just tend to get road rage with the stupid drivers around. lol. I put in about 15k to 17k miles per year. I would really appreciate the gas cost I am going to save with the switch to CT 200H. MB GLA 250 would be a little out of the price range - I don't think it would give me the same reliability at the CT and same MPG.

Do you mind telling me which Lexus dealer you dealt with? I am currently dealing with Lexus at Longo Toyota.

Last edited by lexusrus; 07-15-18 at 03:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
moneysaver (07-24-18)
Old 07-24-18, 02:10 PM
moneysaver
Driver School Candidate

The ORIGINAL FACTORY Lexus WARRANTY is as follows:
>>>>>>>>>>>>

BASIC WARRANTY. The Basic Warrantycoverage is for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first. Wheel alignment and balancing are covered for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Lexus Warranty | Lexus.com

Lexus › warranty
>>>>>>>>>>>

THE "L" Certified Lexus used car warranty (IF YOU BUY IT FROM A LEXUS DEALER. If you buy it from other than from a Lexus DEALERSHIP, then you are on your own.) is BETTER due to its UNLIMITED MILEAGE WARRANTY as follow:
>>>>>>>>>>>
"What is the warranty on a certified Lexus?
The Lexus certified pre-owned (CPO) warrantyoffers limited bumper-to-bumper coverage for 6 years and an unlimited mileage period starting from the vehicle's original purchase date. Roadside assistance, 2-years or 20,000 free scheduled maintenance and a complimentary loaner car are also included."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

However, the "L Certified" Lexus vehicles from a Lexus dealership will generally cost you around 2 to 3 grand more. The roadside assistance is irrelevant to me bc I have AAA. The loaner is irrelevant to me as well bc if I take any of my old out of warranty Lexus vehicles to a Lexus dealership for service, I can arrange for a loaner anyways.

Lastly, the unlimited mileage warranty is ONLY RELEVANT IF ONE DRIVES A LOT. I MEAN A LOT within the 6 years from the date of "first put into service". Also if one DID NOT FOLLOW the recommended routine service schedule, then Lexus COULD deny you any related warranty issues. Also if one had done some mods, Lexus COULD deny any related warranty issues. While it is true YOU DO NOT HAVE to get the Lexus routine maintenance serviced at a Lexus dealership bc it is illegal for the Lexus HQ to tell you otherwise (you just have to prove that it was done on time CORRECTLY AND WITH THE CORRECT FLUIDS.) , IT is just a hassle to play the finger pointing game. With the above in mind, odds are STILL in your favor with a Lexus for any unanticipated breakdowns.

You would be surprised on the price of a gently used MB CPO GLA250. It's just depends on the timing, color, location, model year, and options on it. Mine is a 2015 MB GLA250 4Matic, Mountain Grey, Premium One package, rear camera, blind side monitor, 19 inch optional OEM wheels with Michilin run flats, prewired for Garman Pilot (which is garbage anyway), OFF ROAD package (not likely we are going for rock climbing anytime soon), Keyless GO, Harmon Kardon Premium Sound System with a OEM subwoofer in the back (it's an ok system. Not as good as the optional ML found in Lexus), NO BiXeon/LED headlights andNO SUNROOF. But it did have as a standard feature the "Collision Prevention Assist Plus" where if the driver is not paying attention to what's ahead, it will auto brake. I think the NO SUNROOF, NO BiXeon/LED and 2015 year model (first production year) was a turn off for a lot of people. The dealership knew it and I even told them so. That GLA2504Matic had just gotten to the MB DEALERSHIP just a few days ago and put on the lot. Also it was located in the "warmer climate areas" so nobody wanted a 4Matic (hence more potential maintenance and lower mpg). I wanted the 4Matic for the ski slopes/mountains so it worked Perfectly. I don't care for MB's panoramic sunroof bc you can not black out the sun completely. Plus if the ski racks or the cross bars are in place, the sun roof can not be opened. The price was right and I went for it. If I could have gotten the Lexus dealership to lower its price on an NX200T, I would have gone for the Lexus.
What year and mileage is your current CT 200h? I am just about to pull the trigger on this. Just waiting for BMW to give me my repayment check and for them to pick up the car. lol.
Old 07-26-18, 04:25 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

My CT200h is a 2013 and has around 56K miles on the ODO so far.

Good luck.

What year and mileage is your current CT 200h? I am just about to pull the trigger on this. Just waiting for BMW to give me my repayment check and for them to pick up the car. lol.