CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Rear A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-18, 09:55 AM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rear A/C?

GX owner here. My wife is considering getting a CT to replace her mini countryman but wants something that has air-conditioning in the rear for our kids. I’ve looked through a lot of pictures and don’t see anything in the console but I am wondering if they have rear vents that come from above the doors, like in my GX. TIA.
Old 06-04-18, 10:26 AM
VuskiCT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fluid
GX owner here. My wife is considering getting a CT to replace her mini countryman but wants something that has air-conditioning in the rear for our kids. I’ve looked through a lot of pictures and don’t see anything in the console but I am wondering if they have rear vents that come from above the doors, like in my GX. TIA.
Nope, no rear vents. We did bring it up to the sales guy when we bought it couple of weeks ago, but he said the CT doesn't have them. The cabin is relatively small though, so the air does get to the back seat. We were worried for our little toddler too, but I think it's a non-issue, for now. We haven't had 100's degrees in temp yet, so we'll see...
Old 06-04-18, 03:55 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by VuskiCT
Nope, no rear vents. We did bring it up to the sales guy when we bought it couple of weeks ago, but he said the CT doesn't have them. The cabin is relatively small though, so the air does get to the back seat. We were worried for our little toddler too, but I think it's a non-issue, for now. We haven't had 100's degrees in temp yet, so we'll see...
Thanks for quick reply. That's too bad ... probably the top feature she's looking for. I guess they've dealt with it so far in the Countryman but AZ is simply hot in the summer!
Old 06-07-18, 07:39 AM
AspenCdn
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It has rear vents in floor under the front seats. They put out lots of air unless obstructed by cargo. Tint the windows and the A/C does a good job. My daughter complains that it is too cold in the back when we are comfortable up front. You can express down all four windows with the key fob before you get in the car to let all the hot air out if parked in the sun.
I have noticed that the auto climate control defaults to strange settings. You have to increase the fan speed and direct the air where you want it to go for best results.
The following 3 users liked this post by AspenCdn:
Fluid (06-11-18), Vegasaurus (06-09-18), VuskiCT (06-07-18)
Old 06-08-18, 11:39 PM
RXist
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just replaced my 2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 with a 2012 CT200H and pretty happy with it. Quite and easy to drive but don't expect any power surge like the Mini. I buy it reliability and gas consumption . The A/C get cold pretty quick and I think its better than the Mini. If you want vent in the rear get an Infiniti EX35, but its a gas guzzler. Had one before super fast and reliable but very on gas.
The following users liked this post:
Fluid (06-11-18)
Old 06-11-18, 12:05 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by AspenCdn
It has rear vents in floor under the front seats. They put out lots of air unless obstructed by cargo. Tint the windows and the A/C does a good job. My daughter complains that it is too cold in the back when we are comfortable up front. You can express down all four windows with the key fob before you get in the car to let all the hot air out if parked in the sun.
I have noticed that the auto climate control defaults to strange settings. You have to increase the fan speed and direct the air where you want it to go for best results.
AspenCdn - thx for sharing - that's important to know ... it tips my interest back this way.
Old 06-11-18, 12:08 PM
Fluid
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by RXist
Just replaced my 2011 Mini Cooper S Countryman All4 with a 2012 CT200H and pretty happy with it. Quite and easy to drive but don't expect any power surge like the Mini. I buy it reliability and gas consumption . The A/C get cold pretty quick and I think its better than the Mini. If you want vent in the rear get an Infiniti EX35, but its a gas guzzler. Had one before super fast and reliable but very on gas.
My wife has a base 2014 so it's not very quick. Speed is more of 'nice to have' and not main reason for looking to switch. She didn't even care to test drive an 'S' when we looked at them. She cares more about the rear air for the kids. I would like better fuel economy for her
Old 06-12-18, 08:24 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Out of all my Lexus', I personally feel that the AC is best in the CT. I'll even go as far to say it's better than any other cars I've owned. I tint all my cars as well.

It can get pretty hot and humid where I am, but have no complaints when my daughter (or anyone else) rides in the backseat.

Side note: I actually ordered/installed an OEM rear cup-holder - and despite the price, I love it. lol
Old 06-12-18, 11:11 AM
VuskiCT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aswang
Out of all my Lexus', I personally feel that the AC is best in the CT. I'll even go as far to say it's better than any other cars I've owned. I tint all my cars as well.

It can get pretty hot and humid where I am, but have no complaints when my daughter (or anyone else) rides in the backseat.

Side note: I actually ordered/installed an OEM rear cup-holder - and despite the price, I love it. lol
Sorry but the 2 rear on-floor vents are wimp! You basically have to turn up almost full blast to feel anything coming out of them. And when it's cool air, the air only flows around your feet not the upper part of your body, where you need that chill air the most on hot days. So the placement of these 2 vents are awkward.
Old 06-14-18, 10:56 AM
EvilEwok81
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the CT for over 2 months and tested it in 100+ degree temperature with my 6 and 3 year old kids in the back. It gets cool relatively quickly back there due to the small cabin space like VuskiCT mentioned in an above post. I purchased mine with high mileage and the AC is going really strong. It out performs the BMW I previously had and my other daily driver (2015 KIA Optima). My kids have not complained one bit about lack of air.
Old 06-30-18, 07:02 PM
Joehydro
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a Countryman and the CT 2012 for a long time; no comparison on A/C. CT has “instant on” cold and will chill the cabin in a few minutes.