CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K: Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-18, 09:50 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

While intake mani was off, figured I'd go ahead and clean anything/everything that was easily accessible

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-xhozyvi.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-ixpjeim.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-rqaxwd3.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-i7cce1v.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-mvpz1q8.jpg

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-2vk1mue.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-vw8z7f5.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-3dottf9.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-otmxqlt.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-shhucvc.jpg

(not pictured, but yes the TB was also cleaned)

Last edited by chargerfan; 04-15-18 at 11:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chargerfan:
Raidin (04-17-18), Vegasaurus (04-18-18)
Old 04-15-18, 10:03 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Gaskets galore!

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-oudipbs.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-rjelt3y.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-rjf1ovk.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-rizlvyn.jpg

(forgot to take pics of the metal gaskets being installed, whoops)

Last edited by chargerfan; 04-15-18 at 11:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Raidin (04-17-18)
Old 04-15-18, 10:13 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Lastly, the Oil Catch Can
(Respect, to the guys over at Prius Chat on this one)

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-pg0uriv.jpg

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-embfc1q.jpg

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-5ytn3tb.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-2jssnfy.jpg

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-zjwzq7j.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-kqaw67g.jpg

(noted: not pictured but yes, hose clamps were used during the oil catch can install)

Last edited by chargerfan; 04-15-18 at 11:03 AM.
Raidin (04-17-18)
Old 04-15-18, 10:25 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

OKAY, and 4-5 hours later, we're done! Prior to heading home, I topped off with pink coolant to make up for what we spilled. Upon start up, the car did "shake violently" for a good 20-25 seconds, my guess is due to all carbon and sludge that may have accumulated during clean up

The following text will illustrate a timeline of the next stops and trips I made with the car in its new found cleaner glory:

-22 miles home, for a much needed shower. Around this time, it was well above 80 degrees, which is hot for San Diego.
-2.4 miles to costco for gas and a car wash (pressurized/warm coolant shot upward and a little bit got on the car)
-4.3 miles to the supermarket to grab a bite to eat
-5.5 miles to harbor freight tools to return the excess tools we never used
-1.6 miles to starbucks. around this time, the temps have cooled down into the 70s
-28 miles to meet up with someone on craigslist to buy some stuff (NOTED, this was in rush hour/stop and go traf. Also, I took the car up to 100 mph for a brief few seconds on fwy 5 in an effort to clear out any carbon that may be sitting around)
-39 miles to a relatives house to hang out
-7.2 miles home, around 11 pm and 64 degrees outside

OBSERVATIONS = most of the start ups/warm ups had either no shakes, or a 1 sec brief shake. No more "violent shakes" on take off ... no cel ... 44-46 mpg, which is good, I usually average 36-38 due to a heavy right foot

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-lt4ynts.jpg

and 1 more random trip, a 4am late night food run roughly 12 miles round trip, 55 degree's outside. no shakes, no take off issues, no cel's.

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-x03i1mr.jpg

Last edited by chargerfan; 04-15-18 at 10:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chargerfan:
Raidin (04-17-18), Vegasaurus (04-18-18)
Old 04-15-18, 10:54 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Last Words:

-Will keep driving the car for the next few days and keep under observation
-If issue persists and CEL comes back on ... will get injectors checked. Willing to even go as far as getting injectors cleaned and flow tested OR completely replaced
-If that fails, next step would be (per Raidin) to get a shop to check the valves

-And if all else fails, will do necessary steps to investigate the possibility of a head gasket being the cause of my nightmare ... *eek*

Thank you all, for those who have provided input, and for following. I'll keep posting back every now and then in here, as for the time being I'm still not 100% if I am in teh clear as of yet
The following 3 users liked this post by chargerfan:
Jay784 (04-17-18), Jazie (04-15-18), Raidin (04-17-18)
Old 04-16-18, 10:40 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

mini update:

saw a flaw in how I routed the hoses for the catch can. oil accumulates and settles at the bottom of the "U" shaped bend. I went ahead and re routed it and made it more simple, and less .... bendy

before

after

Raidin (04-17-18)
Old 04-17-18, 03:39 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

i expect your catch can to always be empty based on the distance from the engine and how it is routed.
on the driver's side there is a HUGE void left by the removal of the air box. this would be a perfect place for the catch can, much closer and less hose.
also would require some custom brackets being made
The following 2 users liked this post by gshadow325:
chargerfan (04-17-18), Vegasaurus (04-18-18)
Old 04-17-18, 03:10 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 202 Likes on 121 Posts

Great job posting all of this with all the pictures!

I want to suggest that you use top tier gas only, as it may not leave carbon deposits in anywhere near the same levels you're seeing. I haven't looked at the parts you did, but my mechanic is always looking for deposits and tells me he never really sees anything when he looks inside whenever he has a chance. I've used top tier gas 99.9% of the time since I ordered the car. I know cost is sometimes an issue, but hopefully somewhere near you is a top tier gas station with similar prices as Costco. Check Gasbuddy?

Remember that the violent shaking of the engine is something Toyota knows about and so that's why most of the time you don't get any CELs, it's only if there's more going on. I actually recently found out that my mechanic did in fact contact his tuner friend and had him flash my ECU with the new software as per Lexus' TSB. I am currently at 387k miles and have never had a violent shudder since the repairs. Will keep you and everyone else posted if I do.
The following 2 users liked this post by Raidin:
chargerfan (04-17-18), Vegasaurus (04-18-18)
Old 04-21-18, 08:20 AM
hvdcman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Shop that performed the repairs had no real reason for the failure. As to the oil changes, they are done every 5k along with tire rotation/alignment checks. Just am happy to have it running normal again. Looking for several more years of service, since it is a fun car to drive.
Old 04-21-18, 09:00 AM
hvdcman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Chargerfan: Where did you find the information about the oil catch can you installed? I have been following the posts about this issue and have not seen anything about it before. I would be interested in installing one on my CT (if it is recommended to do so).
Old 04-23-18, 10:16 AM
alphabeta1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Head Gasket sounds suspicious.... shutter is a common reported issue.

Misfires best bargain for buck - (3. and 4. Interchangable depending on climate)

1. $25 New plugs- Misfires?
2. Free Swap Coil Packs- Still misfires?
3. $0-250 clean or new PCV, egr Search "EGR" and "exhaust" here- (https://www.truedelta.com/Lexus-CT-tsbs-1003,2012)
(EGR valve clogs)
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->(Dealer)EXHAUST GAS CONTROL ACTUATOR may develop coolant leak. That might cause water temp lanp andengine lamp and OVERHEAT. (fill up with gas is part of recall!) rattle noisetransaxle at cold start due to a sticking exhaust gas recirculation (egr) valve(Dealer)DUE TO PURGE VSV/PCV LINE SEPARATION IN THROTTLE BODY HOUSING, MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ON AND NEED TO REPROGRAM ENGINE CONTROL/ECM AND REPLACE PURGE VSV4.$150-$250 New Manifold Part Number 17120-37054NHTSA ID: 10045345 (8/28/12)
TSB ID: LSB-0051-1
Lexus: new manifold assembly is available to improve condition of throttle actuator control system and engine failure of starting during ambient temperature below 23%f/-5%c. model ct200h 2011-2012.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...-13-ct200h.pdf
chargerfan (04-24-18)
Old 04-24-18, 10:15 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gshadow325
i expect your catch can to always be empty based on the distance from the engine and how it is routed.
on the driver's side there is a HUGE void left by the removal of the air box. this would be a perfect place for the catch can, much closer and less hose.
also would require some custom brackets being made
I do see that void/area. while tempting to install something there, the stock air intake will eventually go back in. I would love to find a way, to route the catch can with much less tubing

Originally Posted by Raidin
Great job posting all of this with all the pictures!

I want to suggest that you use top tier gas only, as it may not leave carbon deposits in anywhere near the same levels you're seeing
thanks! I want to be thorough, just in case someone else needs to use this experience for their usage

every 5k I do dump in a bottle of techron. I guess thats not good enough

Originally Posted by hvdcman
Chargerfan: Where did you find the information about the oil catch can you installed? I have been following the posts about this issue and have not seen anything about it before. I would be interested in installing one on my CT (if it is recommended to do so).
https://priuschat.com/threads/oil-ca...-knock.179588/
Old 05-11-18, 12:30 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

UPDATE:

Car has seen at least a tank of gas of driving for a solid 2 weeks and no CEL's to report back. Most startups go off without a hitch. I do experience the occasional tiny 1 sec or less shake, but nothing big. I dropped off the car a week or so ago at a certified Lexus collision center for a front bumper repair. Last night at 5:45 PM, I get the car back

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-rk0maev.jpg

Upon turning on my car for the first time in over a week, I noticed this time around there was a CEL. I scanned it and car has the following 3 CEL's:
P0300
P0301
C0300

Makes me wonder if the dealer drove the car much? Or if the CEL's just came back on over time/on its own? I left the CEL on, and did not clear it. Turned on the car, and had a minor shake for a brief second.

Drove it 3.3 miles from Toyota Carlsbad Collision Center to Koko Beach in Down Town Carlsbad for dinner

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-9imoeve.jpg

Prime Rib & Crab Legs = NOM NOMS
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-9bghidl.jpg

AND ..... after dinner .... THIS HAPPENED:

(118772 mi)
Old 05-11-18, 12:32 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

I'm at a loss for words, and for the time being ... have no direction on what course of action to take moving forward ...

:sadface:
Old 05-11-18, 10:07 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Bought a new toy, a "BlueDriver" scanner.... this one can scan more crap than my previous cheap one ... per their website:

" Read and clear diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) such as confirmed, pending and permanent check engine codes, Enhanced Codes (e.g. ABS, Airbag, Transmission, etc.) and more "

That said, I went ahead and re scanned ... and there is 1 new CEL not previously found:

P0010

Quick Reply: Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K: Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up