CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K: Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-18, 03:19 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

Best of luck!
Old 03-29-18, 09:49 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

UPDATE:

-replaced all 4 spark plugs with pn SC16HR11 (all gaps set as close as I could to 0.044, and as stated earlier, new pn supersedes old pn, SC20HR11)
-replaced all 4 coil packs with pn 90919-02258 (same exact pn as what came off of the car)
-replaced maf with pn 22204-0V010 (22204-0V020 is what came off of the car, apparently the replacement is a new pn that supersedes the previous)
-installed injen hydro shield pre-filter over my cold air intake, to add another layer of protection/filtration to hopefully prevent new maf from taking too much dirt/damage as fast
-gave the car a prayer, and begged her to not blow up on me

started up the car, let it warm up .... no shakes. car goes into ev mode .... so far so good. turned off the car and let it rest for about 15 mins.
started up car again, same thing, warms up and ice kicks in, then goes into ev mode .... no shakes. drove it around the black for a few mins and maybe 1 mile, feels fine.
i'm feeling confident so i take the mrs out to dinner at our fav beer & burgers spot. we hop on the 15 fwy the drive was 7.8 miles away, and roughly 15 minutes of driving.
as we ate dinner, the car sat for about an hour ... we walk back to the car and turn her on ... no shakes ... so far so good ...
we drive home, same drive, 7.8 miles and 15 mins. no shakes, no odd behavior, no odd noises ... so far so good ...
after going inside the house, we realize... whooops, forgot to drop off mail! so back to the car, and a trip to the post office, another 5 ish miles away. no shakes.
we hung out at the post office for about 5 mins, then we fire up the car to go home, no shakes. the car drove home fine, no odd noises, sounds, or smells.
one thing not so good i noticed was, the inverter coolant reservoir (passenger side, behind the head light) does appear to be under the "low" mark by a good half inch or so)

before i say "all fixed" ... did i miss anything? let me know your inputs everyone!
Old 03-30-18, 08:24 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

mini update:

decided to drive the car to work today, here are some things id share:

-it was 53 degrees at 7 am
-car shook (somewhate violently) with the same "clack clack" noise for 2-3 sec and then went away
-no cel came on
-the rest of the drive to work was fine

yesterday while putting on all my new parts, i did notice there was still some, oil under the tb butterfly/collecting in the intake mani area, perhaps that accumulated oil or the carbon in the egr was the cause of the shake? someone mentioned to me, (after watching my video clip of the car shaking) that the "clack clack" noise is usually signs of valves sticking ... any input guys?

also, what are the chances of my injectors being the cause of the shake/clack noises?

Last edited by chargerfan; 03-30-18 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-30-18, 01:14 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

so ... at noon (66 degrees, car parked in the shade/parking structure) I took the car out for lunch. during warm up ... THE SHAKES are back! a solid 20 sec shake along with that awesome clacking noise. and alas, the cel is back as well. I am beyond sad

Old 03-30-18, 03:58 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 203 Likes on 121 Posts

Darn! Temporary solution I guess...

If the clacking noise you're talking about is something that sounds like a diesel, then it probably is a valve issue. I had that sound long before the shakes started up and the gasket blew. When we opened up the engine for the head job, 4 of the 16 valve lifters were bad, and after replacing all 16, I don't have that noise anymore.
Old 03-31-18, 05:49 PM
Vegasaurus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I think Raidin's right that there's a valve issue.

Just to confirm, was the EGR cleaned or replaced?
Old 04-02-18, 09:43 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Egr and intake mani has still not been done.... I've been holding off on those 2, as they are the most daunting

Looks like I've gotta cave in and finally address those 2 soon ish. Will report back =\
Old 04-06-18, 02:47 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

SO ... getting myself ready to tackle the intake manifold and the egr cooler/pipe. Ordered the following gaskets:

25628-28010
GASKET, EGR INLET

22271-37010
GASKET, THROTTLE BOD

25685-37010
Gasket, EGR Cooler, NO.1

25634-37010 (Replaced By 25634-37030)
Gasket, EGR Pipe

25627-37010
Gasket, EGR Valve

Part No.: 17177-37030 (Replaced by: 17177-0T020)
GASKET, INTAKE MANIF

Will report back ....
The following users liked this post:
Jlqmom (03-26-20)
Old 04-08-18, 08:44 PM
codenko
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jesus. Best of luck! I’ll be following this thread!
Old 04-11-18, 02:27 PM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

It might not be a bad idea to ohm out your injectors. You would just need a multi-meter and check if it's within spec or completely dead.
Old 04-11-18, 08:10 PM
hvdcman
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As has been posted above, the shaking on my car was because the head gasket on my car was failing. The dealer originally said it was the intake manifold. Replaced it with new updated version as per error code indicated. When I picked up the car it immediately began to miss and shake in dealers service drive. They kept the car for about 6 days while checking it out. Finally called and reported appeared to be head gasket leak. I asked about costs and it was $3-4k to replace gasket. If head or block was out of spec (??) the engine would have to be replaced at $6-8k. Was told I could drive it but to be cautious and not drive it too much. Checked with an indy Toyota/Lexus repair shop and they quoted $1-1.8K for repairs. They found coolant leaking into cylinders 1 & 2.Had the shop do the repairs and so far has been running great (18k miles in 4 months). Ended up at total of $2k for the repairs.
Old 04-12-18, 04:25 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Wow!!! Happy to hear that you finally found the root of the problem.

I wonder why this happened? High mileage (but it is not really high MILEAGE until something like 300K+ miles)? Oil change intervals stretched out too long (more than 10K miles between oil changes)?

Perhaps we all can learn to avoid the same fate as yours?

Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by hvdcman
As has been posted above, the shaking on my car was because the head gasket on my car was failing. The dealer originally said it was the intake manifold. Replaced it with new updated version as per error code indicated. When I picked up the car it immediately began to miss and shake in dealers service drive. They kept the car for about 6 days while checking it out. Finally called and reported appeared to be head gasket leak. I asked about costs and it was $3-4k to replace gasket. If head or block was out of spec (??) the engine would have to be replaced at $6-8k. Was told I could drive it but to be cautious and not drive it too much. Checked with an indy Toyota/Lexus repair shop and they quoted $1-1.8K for repairs. They found coolant leaking into cylinders 1 & 2.Had the shop do the repairs and so far has been running great (18k miles in 4 months). Ended up at total of $2k for the repairs.
Old 04-15-18, 09:28 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

UPDATE TIME:

a friend who owns a shop suggested that I stop clearing my CEL's. he recommended to keep the CEL and check on it every day to see if new CEL's occur. I went ahead and listened to him, and left the CEL alone. yesterday morning was the 1st time the car started up since 03/30/2018. lots of stuff to share, I'll try my best to keep things organized and post in chronological order:

-8:45am, 64 degrees, 118230 miles on odo. warmed up the car, a brief tiny 1 sec shake. not bad. I proceeded to a local coffee shop 3.6 miles away

-9am, 66 degrees, 118233 miles on odo. I left the coffee shop ... no shakes when I started up the car. and oddly, the CEL went away on its own ... *scratches head* ... whatever. next stop, Wells Fargo for some cash, and Mcdonalds for breakfast, roughly 3-4 miles away.

-9:15am 68 degrees, 118237 on odo. when I leave Wells Fargo/McDonalds, the car exhibited a violent shake/loss of power on take off as I leave the parking lot and onto the main road. This is usually when a CEL occurs.... this time ... no CEL. I eased off the gas pedal during shake to let it calm down. Drove the car up and down the road to see if anything else happens ... no more strange behaviors so I felt it was road worthy and proceeded to my friends house, where we will do the task of cleaning out intake mani, egr cooler/egr pipe, and install oil catch can

-10am and 22 miles later I arrive at my friends house.

... to be continued on next post ...

Last edited by chargerfan; 04-15-18 at 09:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Raidin (04-17-18)
Old 04-15-18, 09:30 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

most of you have already seen the youtube videos on intake mani cleaning and egr cleaning, so i'll skip the tech talk and go straight to pictures:

oil under TB, collecting in the intake mani. keep in mind, I just mopped up this area not too long ago
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-t0supn0.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-tgfownp.jpg

egr pipe and egr cooler full of carbon

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-k04wylt.jpg

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-etuddzh.jpg

pcv hose has some yummy looking stuff inside
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-ljgbdjm.jpg

even though the pcv already has been replaced at 115k, someone suggested my pcv could be bad so I went ahead and ordered yet another one

Last edited by chargerfan; 04-15-18 at 09:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chargerfan:
Raidin (04-17-18), Vegasaurus (04-18-18)
Old 04-15-18, 09:32 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

hooray for wire brush thingee's and 3 cans of parts cleaner
(parts cleaner not pictured)

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-ruwdqvj.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-gf5kfz7.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-dap5jkl.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-udpr05l.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-g6sfecz.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-pmgszn5.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-w7mgnog.jpg
Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K:  Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up-2bpx3g3.jpg

Last edited by chargerfan; 04-15-18 at 10:00 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by chargerfan:
Raidin (04-17-18), Vegasaurus (04-18-18)

Quick Reply: Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K: Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up