CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K: Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-18, 10:23 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

https://www.autocodes.com/p0010_lexus.html

P0010 LEXUS - Camshaft Position 'A' Actuator Circuit Bank 1

Possible causes:
-Dirty Oil
-Variable Valve Timing (VVT) circuit is open or shorted
-Oil Control Valve (OCV) circuit is open or shorted
-Faulty variable valve timing (VVT)
-Faulty oil control valve (OCV)
-Damaged ECM What does this mean?

Tech notes:
If the engine oil is clean and the VVT and OCV circuits are OK, replaced the VVT to resolve the problem

When is the code detected:
After the ECM sends the target duty cycle signal to the OCV, the ECM monitors the OCV current to establish an actual duty cycle. The ECM determines the existence of a malfunction and sets the DTC when the actual duty cycle ratio varies from the target duty cycle ratio.

Possible symptoms:
-Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light)
-Lack/Loss of power
-Engine rough idle

P0010 LEXUS Description:
The Engine Control Module (ECM) controls the Oil Control Valve (OCV) to regulate the intake camshaft angle. As a result of the angle change, the engine timing is advance or retard. Optimizing engine timing will help the engine improve torque and fuel economy, and the exhaust emissions decrease under overall driving conditions. The Variable Valve Timing (VVT) system includes the Oil Control Valve (OCV) and VVT controller. The ECM detects the actual intake valve timing using signals from the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors, and performs feedback control.
Old 05-13-18, 10:38 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Checked the usual spot for oil puddles today ... seems to be minimal this time around

Old 05-13-18, 10:41 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

546 miles since the oil catch can install ... and here is the amount collected

Old 05-15-18, 10:51 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

discovered that, going into "maintenance mode" on a ct is the same as a prius
  • Pressed the Power button twice
  • While in Park, pressed accelerator pedal twice
  • Pressed on Brake Pedal, changed to N by holding down the shifter in the left position
  • Pressed accelerator pedal twice
  • Pressed P to go back into Park
  • Pressed accelerator pedal twice
  • "Maintenance Mode" appears on the bottom right of gauge cluster

This weekend, while in maint mode ... I will be attempting some combustion chamber testing and possibly kicking around the idea of playing with seafoam
Old 05-16-18, 12:55 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Why keep buying generic scanners when tech stream clones are readily available?
Old 05-16-18, 12:58 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

be cause my future cars wont be using tech stream
Old 05-16-18, 01:19 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

That doesn't make any sense to me.

You don't need it in the future but you need it now?
Therefore, you will not purchase it.
Yet, you keep chasing a problem that you have no idea how to fix. Then add a catch can thinking it's going to fix something else. Meanwhile, returning the car back to stock is not something you are planning on doing.

All I see is a problem going around in circles with out the car being in it's virgin state using a dealer scan tool.
Btw tech stream clones can be had for $25 on Amazon. Your future cars don't need it. So not worth the price of half your surf and turf dinner.

I haven't used one of those hot air intakes in many years in any of my cars due to the problems they cause downstream. Fuel mixture is off due to the increased flow of air. Messed up mas sensors etc.

Yet a quick compression test, or quick sniff of the coolant bottle could reveal a blown HG or even a quick test of the coolant with one of those testers from Auto zone can tell you that.

Just trying to get you to realize what you are saying doesn't make sense to me because the tech stream is such a powerful tool that could reveal codes that can't be found with a normal obd2 scan tool.
​​
Old 05-16-18, 09:06 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

I'm not sure how this is constructive... but I'll play along. Please note, the maxiscan ms300 has been in our household for 10+ years, so no real way to "un purchase" that. Back then, a cheap scanner was more than capable of doing the things, we needed it to do

Why dont I need a tech stream in the future you say? I could have mentioned ... once the car is fixed... it will be put up for sale. I didnt bother to mention it, as I didnt see how that info would pertain to this thread. My next car, is not a Toyota so therefore ... there is no need for a tech stream. It would be handy to have now ... indeed. But for other reasons (which I wont get into, but youre more than welcome to google reviews on a bluedriver scanner) I chose the BlueDriver as my new scanner of choice

The car has a problem and it needs fixing ... and I'm here asking for help on a forum because.... I have no idea how to fix it. Did I make a mistake on Forums utilization? If I did, please help me correct my ways.

As for the catch can, I found some Prius guys doing it to prevent oil going into the intake manifold, and so far it seems to be doing what it is supposed to do... "thinking its going to fix something else" you say .... I dont know how to respond to that, as the catch can appears to be doing what its supposed to do.... catching oil

Returning the car back to stock is now back on the table, and as a matter a fact that intake is coming off soon as the car will be going back to the dealership for an oil consumption test as previously mentioned. This time around, I wont let them nit pick the intake.

A compression test, may be in the near future, as I am running out of ideas and tired of "chasing a problem/going in circles". And a combustion test/sniff of the coolant bottle is coming soon, now that I finally figured out how to put the car into maintenance mode. Also too, to be real honest the idea of sniffing the coolant bottle came late in the trouble shooting process, I wish there were a way to go back in time and lead off with that test to begin with

I wont argue how great that tech stream tool is. And for 25 bucks on amazon, is indeed a fantastic value.

Although we may not agree on one thing, or another, I hope this gives you some insight as to what makes sense ...... to me.
The following users liked this post:
EvilEwok81 (05-17-18)
Old 05-16-18, 09:08 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

*** reserved for follow up with the dealer and oil consumption test ***

Clarification:
For Test With ANOTHER dealership

Last edited by chargerfan; 05-17-18 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-16-18, 09:09 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

*** reserved for results of compression test and/or combustion combustion leak test ***
Old 05-17-18, 03:38 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

fast forward 1000 miles later and the ct is ready to be taken back to the dealer for an oil consumption test. the last communication with the dealer involve me, agreeing to an oil change in order for them to check the car 1000 miles later. they even left a sticker on my window that reads "please bring back at 119k/1000 miles later"

I called my Lexus Corporate acct manager to confirm if we are still on the same page. Case manager advises me, that my case was closed, and the oil consumption test would not only come out of my pocket.... but as a bonus ... the dealer had some extra special words:

Lexus Of Escondido:
"at this point, we believe that it is in all our best interest, to sever our business relationship with this customer here at Lexus Of Escondido"

so there ya have it folks. either the dealer knows, the repair is going to be costly and they do not want to deal with it. OR, they legitimately do not know what the issue is. either or .... this ct nor myself ... will no longer be paying visits to that dealership

Originally Posted by chargerfan
UPDATE:

So after 1 week of driving around in a courtesy car ... I finally get my CT back. I went ahead and approved for an oil change (to the tune of $100) so I can return the car in 1000 miles, for an oil consumption review. They said, they can only do this oil test if I use their oil and their filter ... funny part is the invoice shows "mobil 0w-20" oil, which is the same stuff I use ....

When I started up the car at the dealership, no shakes! YAY! I took the car home and let it sit for about 6 hours, and then it was time to run errands. When I turned on a car, just a 1-2 sec shake, which I was told "is normal to shake a little". As Raidin says, the software flash "fix" is to lower the chances of the shakes, not fully address it.... I guess I can live with that. Fast forward 1 hour later and as I leave the store after 15 mins of shopping, I go to turn on my car .... I not only get the shakes again, but another CEL ... the same one .... P0301 (misfire in cyl 1) ...

NOTED:
-no new gas added to car
-car only made 2 trips since leaving the dealer ... 1 = home. 2 = to the store
-total miles before CEL came back on = 36 miles

I call the dealer, and they asked me to bring back the car for further diagnosis. 1 thing I'd like to share that I found amusing ... the tech mentions that my cold air intake could cause the misfire .... correct me if I am wrong but, does our MAF not regulate how much air is being used by the engine? IE, if i put on a CAI or use the stock air box or have a filthy oem filter (or a clean one for that matter) .... the MAF should know how much air to meter and use ... correct?

... to be continued ....
Old 05-17-18, 07:09 PM
Jazie
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh man, sorry and sad to watch this all happening like this. crazy
chargerfan (05-18-18)
Old 05-18-18, 11:15 AM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Interesting find .... here is a service bulletin that mentions that 2011-2016 CT's are to get intake mani replaced if they throw codes p0300/p0301/p0302/p0303/p0304. Makes me wonder if they knew, and pretended to not see it? OR ... if they legit didnt know, and their tech's at this dealership are inadequately trained?

Old 05-18-18, 01:27 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Saving these just in case:

Old 05-18-18, 01:30 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

EvilEwok81 (05-21-18)

Quick Reply: Chargerfan - First Problem Detected 117K: Engine Shake On Take Off And On Start Up