CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Courier CT update: third problem detected

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-18, 08:51 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Received 205 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by gamma742
How long,, or maybe I should ask.. How many miles are you planning to put on this vehicle before replacing it?
There is no set number. I plan to drive it till it's dead, or too expensive to keep running compared to a new car. The idea is that replacing things like the engine and transmission is cheaper than buying a new car, thanks to how long the powertrain lasts.
Old 03-11-18, 06:51 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I'm just happy to hear that you got it all fixed and back on the road.

Originally Posted by Raidin
I doubt that sticking with 5k OCIs would have made a difference. The problem occured, it was just exasperated by the long OCI. I doubt much harm was done because of that though. The amount of coolant in the engine isn't going to do much. Remember that I took the car to the shop as soon as this happened, and long OCIs won't cause a head gasket failure anyway (which is due to overheating or age).

Also, using some rough math, had I stuck with 5k OCIs since day one, I would have spent just above $3,000 more than I did. A head gasket job is just over $3,000. I paid more because I fixed a few other things as well to save on labor down the road. I feel I basically got a free head gasket job thanks to what I saved with my long OCIs. I'd do the oil changes myself, if I had the time, but unfortunately I work too much, and am not allowed to do it where I live anyhow.

The manual calls for 10k OCIs, and synthetic is the only oil you can use anyway (0W-20 is synthetic only). The oil I use is rated for 15k OCIs (which is the OCI I will switch to now).
The following users liked this post:
Raidin (03-11-18)
Old 03-11-18, 08:46 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

There is no set number. I plan to drive it till it's dead, or too expensive to keep running compared to a new car. The idea is that replacing things like the engine and transmission is cheaper than buying a new car, thanks to how long the powertrain lasts.
This is true, especially with a late model vehicle such as yours
Old 03-15-18, 02:14 PM
synrgy350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting such detailed information on your car Raidin! I sometimes lurk over at priuschat, and noticed a lot of people blaming clogged EGR systems for head gasket problems. Apparently when the EGR pipe and cooler are clogged, the temperature in each cylinder can increase by a lot, causing head gasket problems. Hopefully your mechanic cleaned out the EGR cooler, valve, and pipe for you.

In regards to your oil change interval, considering how you drive the car I don't see a problem with extended oil change intervals, as long as you are using a quality synthetic. I think 15K is a totally acceptable interval, though your previous 25K interval would make me nervous without doing an oil analysis.

Keep us updated on how your car is running! Based on your post, I'm going to change out my waterpump at 100K miles, since its so cheap and easy to do. You can get it on amazon (original Aisin) for under $250.
The following users liked this post:
Raidin (03-15-18)
Old 03-15-18, 03:31 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by synrgy350
Thanks for posting such detailed information on your car Raidin! I sometimes lurk over at priuschat, and noticed a lot of people blaming clogged EGR systems for head gasket problems. Apparently when the EGR pipe and cooler are clogged, the temperature in each cylinder can increase by a lot, causing head gasket problems. Hopefully your mechanic cleaned out the EGR cooler, valve, and pipe for you.

In regards to your oil change interval, considering how you drive the car I don't see a problem with extended oil change intervals, as long as you are using a quality synthetic. I think 15K is a totally acceptable interval, though your previous 25K interval would make me nervous without doing an oil analysis.

Keep us updated on how your car is running! Based on your post, I'm going to change out my waterpump at 100K miles, since its so cheap and easy to do. You can get it on amazon (original Aisin) for under $250.
I'm not sure how easy it is to replace the water pump, but he did say he would rather do it now since the engine is open because of the amount of labor involved otherwise, so keep that in mind.

Don't worry, I lab checked all my oil in order to reach all the way to 28k OCIs. Also, I will talk to him about the EGR parts. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 06-18-18, 03:52 PM
chargerfan
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

raidin, how is your car doing as far as oil consumption?
Old 06-20-18, 04:04 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by chargerfan
raidin, how is your car doing as far as oil consumption?
No oil burning ever detected. Keep in mind I have my shop add all 5 quarts instead of just 4.8.
Old 01-07-19, 08:59 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

What did I miss? Your car is still running after the engine refresh right? Just have a driveline vibration now?
Old 01-07-19, 09:05 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks a lot, Vegas. Gonna go look at everything now.

I also wanted to update that my mechanic discovered that there are certain cases mentioned by hybrid mechanics who cited the water pump allowing for intermittent overheating leading to head gasket failures. The claim is that the water pump, once it starts going bad, will intermittently fail, where overheating occurs just below the temperature that the warning light comes on at, so there's no real warning. Over time this has caused head gaskets to fail in 3rd gen Prius models they saw. With this in mind, we decided to replace the water pump, since there's no labor involved while the head gasket job is being done, and since I plan to keep running the car for much longer.

FYI: cost of the pump is roughly $500, labor is almost the same on its own (RepairPal confirmed this).
good info on intermittent failure. but you are probably referring to list price.

just a heads up I found the water pump on ebay (from a Lexus dealer) (genuine) for $239

should be an easy install too for anyone looking to prolong their engines. i would probably do this at 75-100k as preventive maintenance given the above info.

Old 01-08-19, 08:56 AM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by E46CT
What did I miss? Your car is still running after the engine refresh right? Just have a driveline vibration now?
Yup, still running at 443k. Vibration is still there, from the transmission it seems, but only at the switchover point between electric and ICE modes.

Since I use a shop to do all my work, they of course charge a mark up on parts. Also, I'm sure their supplier isn't as low priced as eBay. I'm not worried about it. They at least warranty anything I get through them as well as labor.
Old 01-08-19, 09:32 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

That's good. Was just asking cause suddenly i saw all this talk about getting a Subaru. Can you post some updated photos of your car? I miss my blue CT. I have a white F Sport now. not as exciting looking as the blue. and 5k is still cheaper than a new car. you are doing great.

Would love to see how a 443k CT looks. outside and inside =)
Old 01-10-19, 04:19 PM
Raidin
Advanced

Originally Posted by E46CT
That's good. Was just asking cause suddenly i saw all this talk about getting a Subaru. Can you post some updated photos of your car? I miss my blue CT. I have a white F Sport now. not as exciting looking as the blue. and 5k is still cheaper than a new car. you are doing great.

Would love to see how a 443k CT looks. outside and inside =)
A while back, someone asked me the same thing, so I took some pictures. I'll try to take a video this time to show how the car has fared. If not, I'll just take more pictures. Stay tuned!

In case you weren't caught up, I was considering what to replace the CT with should I ever have to. I was going with a Crosstrek PHEV or Forester. Forester ended up being more favorable for the extra space I need. Now that Toyota released the info on the redesigned Rav4 Hybrid, that's my top choice.
Old 01-10-19, 06:44 PM
gamma742
Intermediate

Now that Toyota released the info on the redesigned Rav4 Hybrid, that's my top choice.
I hear ya! That RAV4 Hybrid gets around 40 MPG and I figure that next year (2020) the NX will get a refresh or redesign and get the RAV4 2019 goodies. Then I will upgrade the CT to the NXh.
Old 01-11-19, 07:48 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Next NX Hybrid will likely not get 40mpg though as it will very likely have a lot of extra weight to carry around. you're probably looking at something like 36/33. Real world average around 32-34. A little less for lead foots. Which is still good for a decently sized luxury crossover.
Old 01-11-19, 08:01 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

I respectfully disagree..

While comparing the Prius to the CT I could see where you might draw that conclusion but if you look at the 2018 RAV4 and compare the MPG with the 2018 NX300h you are comparing apples to apples.

Now have a look at the 2019 Model Year RAV4:

https://www.toyota.com/upcoming-vehicles/rav4/

RAV4 Hybrid models are the efficiency leaders of the lineup with an estimated mpg of 41/37/39 (city/hwy./combined).

Quick Reply: Courier CT update: third problem detected