CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Finally RX350 bi-xenon projectors

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-17, 12:57 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Finally RX350 bi-xenon projectors

Finished my retrofit and I'm glad I did it. I didn't do anything spectacular (ie. Demon eyes etc...) just swapped out the oem projectors for the RX350 projectors. I just wanted to keep the look oem since this is the only mod I'm doing to this car. Any questions, just ask.

Retrofitted RX350 bi-xenon projector with CBI bulbs.
RX350 bi-xenon projector rear.
Stock oem projector.

Last edited by ILOVEGIRLS; 10-17-17 at 01:03 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RadiantX45 (12-26-22)
Old 10-20-17, 09:30 AM
mmmboost
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That looks really good. How much work was it to retrofit? Like cutting the rear to get the projectors to fit etc.

Only thing I would do differently is clear out the amber like the JDM and European models.
Old 10-20-17, 10:56 AM
ltsr
Pole Position

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

before and after beam photos?
where did you get the parts?
how much did it cost overall?
would you do it again?
are you willing to retrofit other members headlights for a cost?
what kind of ballast / harness did you use?
what temp bulbs?
how did you align the headlights?
Old 11-10-17, 12:10 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Originally Posted by ltsr
before and after beam photos?
where did you get the parts?
how much did it cost overall?
would you do it again?
are you willing to retrofit other members headlights for a cost?
what kind of ballast / harness did you use?
what temp bulbs?
how did you align the headlights?
I don't have before or after beams because tgere are already some pics and youtube videos on them.

I bought all tge parts from trs (theretrofitshop)
Bi xenon non afs rx350
STI lens
TRS tune
Orasm CBI 5500k
Oem denso ballast (water potted)

The projectors mount in the same position as the halogen projectors. You would need to cut the housing for the projectors to mount properly.

I would do it again. This is not my first retrofit. I did my first retrofit in 2000 using honda s2000 projectors into my civic. I have also done the Q45 in the GS and LS 430 in the LS 430.

I can do the retrofit for you.
Old 11-10-17, 12:13 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Originally Posted by mmmboost
That looks really good. How much work was it to retrofit? Like cutting the rear to get the projectors to fit etc.

Only thing I would do differently is clear out the amber like the JDM and European models.
The work is not difficult. It just takes some time to cut and grind the housing for the projectors to fit

I wanted to keep it oem looking so I didnt bother. My car is pretty much stock with tge exception of the headlights.
Old 11-10-17, 06:34 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Originally Posted by ILOVEGIRLS
The work is not difficult. It just takes some time to cut and grind the housing for the projectors to fit

I wanted to keep it oem looking so I didnt bother. My car is pretty much stock with tge exception of the headlights.
Night shot.
Old 11-01-18, 10:57 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Default Trade plus cash

I'm going back to stock to sell the car. Does anyone want to trade plus cash?

email me at hoang_hao@hotmail.com

Located in so cal.
Old 11-12-18, 09:29 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,570 Posts

I had the same setup on my 2016. Clear lenses, tuned (by me) and all.

Now with my 2015 I have the same setup except using Morimoto D2S 4.0s. They were complicated to install, I wish I had gone RX350s again. but the result is pretty good still. Love Denso/CBI combo.

I wish I had saw your post earlier i would've done the deal. Did you save your old projectors? you might have to turn the oven on. I used to have a whole closet of these projectors since I've done this swap on other Toyotas and i started a collection. I MIGHT have two left. I know i have one for sure. if you wanted to swap back.

don't sell your CT.. you'll regret it!
Old 07-21-22, 07:23 PM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

Awesome thank you for this thread! How do you seal the back of the headlight housing?

I've done projector retrofits before but this is the first where the back of the housing isn't completely sealed since it would just be the twist bulb from the h11 halogen bulb.

How exactly do you seal the HID bulb and components from the back?

-Nigel
Old 07-21-22, 08:54 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Originally Posted by nigel821
Awesome thank you for this thread! How do you seal the back of the headlight housing?

I've done projector retrofits before but this is the first where the back of the housing isn't completely sealed since it would just be the twist bulb from the h11 halogen bulb.

How exactly do you seal the HID bulb and components from the back?

-Nigel
It’s been a long time and I want to say I used the same rubber cap and just stretched it over. I’m not sure if I had some extra ones laying around or they were the oem.
Old 07-21-22, 09:10 PM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Originally Posted by E46CT
I had the same setup on my 2016. Clear lenses, tuned (by me) and all.

Now with my 2015 I have the same setup except using Morimoto D2S 4.0s. They were complicated to install, I wish I had gone RX350s again. but the result is pretty good still. Love Denso/CBI combo.

I wish I had saw your post earlier i would've done the deal. Did you save your old projectors? you might have to turn the oven on. I used to have a whole closet of these projectors since I've done this swap on other Toyotas and i started a collection. I MIGHT have two left. I know i have one for sure. if you wanted to swap back.

don't sell your CT.. you'll regret it!
lol.. I’m back in a Prius again. I love the CT when I had it but the Prius has more cargo space. Nowadays these cars are worth it with all that’s going on with gas and economy.
Old 07-22-22, 04:58 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 752 Likes on 468 Posts

Thank you! I appreciate the response. Yea I figured it was a little old but I love seeing threads like this. We don't have kids and I just need a better/newer DD that my 2007 Solara. As trusty and reliable as it's been (250k miles), I hope to have my CT here in a week or so, then I can formally say hello in the group with pictures... but I've already started looking at modding stuff..lol The biggest disappointment to me was seeing the halogen headlights. ALL of our cars are either LED from the factory or I've done projector retrofits w/oem HIDs.

The fact that you listed everything is exactly what I will be doing, even down to the clear lenses!

If I can ask another question or two. With the Denso ballasts, where did you mount them and how did you run the wire's to them? Did you use a wiring harness..etc.?
This is the Denso you used right? I'm wondering if it would actually fit inside the headlight housing at the bottom?
OE Replacement: Denso DDLT002 | The Retrofit Source BL205

For example on our Solara I mounted the OEM ballast on the bottom of the headlight where the HID version would be located (toyota used the same housing so there was a mounting spot for it), then ran the ballast wire inside the headlight and connected the bulb to the ballast end, but everything is all sealed. If you have the denso ballast I'm wondering how the ballast end is connected to the bulb without it being exposed or seen?

Hope that makes sense.

I hear ya on the gas and prius. As much as a prius probably would have been better than the CT in terms of MPG, I just can't get on the looks...lol. The ct is so cool looking to me.

Thanks again!
-Nigel

Last edited by nigel821; 07-22-22 at 05:03 AM.
Old 07-22-22, 08:22 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

I've long since sold the CT so I'll try to tell you what I remember. Yes those are the ballasts. You can find them $50 each or slightly cheaper if you look on eBay. There's a guy who sells them in bulk. Like he has tons of them. But TRS you can be sure enthusiasts tested them (i got a dud from eBay before and had to get a refund--it actually started smoking when i turned it on. i caught it in time. Likely a frayed connection/short due to damage.) So stay close when you first test them out and DO not touch any live wires as the ballast can kill you if it's live and you touch it. .. little disclaimer.

From what I remember I don't think there's enough room for the ballast in the headlight. I found no good solution. The feed line to the bulb is very short. So not many elegant options. Driver's ballast I placed upside down on top of the fuse box, velcroed in place. it never went anywhere.

Passenger side I sort if zip-tied in place to stuff nearby. You'll figure it out.

I used a dual relay harness tap 12V directly off the main positive block under the hood (thick white wire) and to get triggered by the OE bulb harness when you turn on the headlights.

it's a great mod and very solid/very reliable.
Old 07-22-22, 08:24 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Also the bulb sort of sticks out in the back from what I remember, so you'll need to create a way to cover the bulb/opening so dirt doesn't get in. I used metal tape for a while to seal it shut but then switched to rubber caps made specficially for this purpose. i think the size is 90mm or something like that. i forget.
Old 07-22-22, 06:50 PM
TobiasSing
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice to see this thread. I did the exact same thing, just using M-LED 2.0 projectors. No need for any relay wire harnesses or HID ballast components. But on previous vehicles I used potted Denso ballasts from TRS so they could be mounted anywhere. They are pretty big and have nowhere to fit in these head lights.

Just as an FYI to throw it out there, the cap required on the back of the low beam pocket to seal it is 85 mm. I got a universal step version since I didn't know, and after figuring it out, I cut off the 90mm option and larger.

Worked perfectly.

The following users liked this post:
nigel821 (08-03-22)

Quick Reply: Finally RX350 bi-xenon projectors