CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Should I buy one?

Old 09-29-17, 12:48 PM
roadhawk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy one?

Hello there, I do a lot of urban driving (short trips within 2-10 miles) and am considering purchasing a CT200.

If I generally drive around at speeds of 30-35mph am I right in thinking this will mainly be powered by electricity?

Finally, in general terms are you lot happy that you bought a CT200?

Thanks in advance
Old 09-29-17, 11:31 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by roadhawk
Hello there, I do a lot of urban driving (short trips within 2-10 miles) and am considering purchasing a CT200.

If I generally drive around at speeds of 30-35mph am I right in thinking this will mainly be powered by electricity?

Thanks in advance
If you're planning to use just EV mode, it will last a few minutes. And it also depends on the amount of stopping you do, since that's what charges the battery again. Keep in mind that once you go over 40 KPH the engine kicks in.

I've had it for a little over 2 years (2012 CT200h) and I did save money on gas, but I should have never bought that car. Biggest mistake, considering the car before was a 2010 IS250 RWD.

Pros:
The back seats fold down, my older IS didn't have that feature. So I can fit bigger items easier.
Great on gas (city driving only)
Besides general maintenance (Tires, brakes, oil change, air filter and cabin filter) I had zero issues with the car. (Went from ~40,000 KM to ~118,000 KM)
Original brakes lasted over 100,000 KM

Cons:
Interior is too small
No power
Highway driving took the exact same mileage as my old IS. (After getting those readings, that's when I knew I should have kept my old IS)
Changing the brakes isn't like on a regular car. I took it to a mechanic to get it done, since you risk having the ABS light come on.
Over 2 years of being miserable in the car, lucky for me, I have my motorcycles for the summer, but in the winter time, it sucked

If you're trying to save money and don't give a crap for performance/looks of a car, get it, but then again, you can get a Prius which is the exact same thing for a lot less.

Theirs a reason they call this the glorified Prius, because it is just that. Drive both and you'll see. The Prius V is actually bigger inside too lol

And for what it's worth, I'm back in an IS
Old 09-29-17, 11:59 PM
shelleyW
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with George. Never got an electic one but I think it is not convenient sometimes.
Old 09-30-17, 04:26 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

I don't know how george is driving his Ct to get high 20s low 30s mpg. I have never gotten less than 38.

while this is defiantly not a sports car nor did anyone claim it to be. Now expecting it to be one is unfair. It's a glorified commuter. I would never buy a prius and be stereo typed into a left lane hogger. where everyone wants to run you off the road. Primarily I feel it's that stupid fuel gauge meter right up there on the dash.

I can take 2 adults ans two kids 10 and 12, 900 miles for $38.50 in fuel when gas prices are $1.95. Each person has a duffle bag, and a small personal carry on lol. I bought a cargo box ans rack if I need more space on these trips. With that on top of the car I get 38mpg.

I have never in my whole driving career ever worn a set of tires from beginning to end in 18 months. I just reached 50k last week in 18 months. That's miles not kilometers!! I was filling up 40 bucks average every 275 miles with the last car this replaced.

for me, I am sold on the lexus quality, Toyota reliability and justify the performance weakness each ans everytime at the pump.

it costs money to lug around a large amount of space. It is cheaper for me to have a second car in the garage that I drive when we need a larger vehicle. I put 900 miles on that vehicle last year it cost $262 bucks. Vs sane trip $38.50. Carried the same people and similar amount of luggage except everything was spread out in the truck. They brought extras that might be used but never was stuff!!
Old 09-30-17, 10:11 AM
Dirteeboy
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coming from a LS460 and a DCLB Tacoma it sucked ***. Less room, less power and so teeny tiny compared to the previous two, but commuting a ton it's saved me so much gas.

I'm not sure how previous post guy only hits in the 20'smpg, I've never dropped below 38 and this is semi aggressive driving in SoCal.

I think the main key to driving this car is using the different modes.

For example, use the sport mode when climbing hills, merging, entering freeways, getting up to speed. Normal mode when you're up to speed. Shift to B when going downhill, steep declines, quick stops, etc. In the beginning it's a pain in the ***, but you get used to it. EV mode just plain sucks, lol.

I tried the Prius couldn't did it.
Old 09-30-17, 12:45 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by roadhawk

Thanks in advance

Hi Roadhawk,

To answer your question, hybrid cars are ideal for urban driving (stop and go) and you'll get the most MPG if you don't drive a lot on the freeway. However, if you're driving above 25mph the engine will be used and you won't be using the electric (EV) mode. It sounds like for your purposes you may want to entertain the idea of getting a fully electric car.
Old 09-30-17, 01:08 PM
21pirates
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I researched the full electric vehicles and the one that had the best range for the best price with the BMW I3 REX model.
Old 09-30-17, 04:25 PM
tomknez
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought this car used for 18k a few months ago and never have reached below 45 mpg, I don't drive light either- enough to keep up with traffic in Northern VA.

Usually fill up between 12-16 days as well, power in sport mode feels...sporty.

DIY maintenance with this car is so simple (except the brakes).

Have received many compliments with this car, and I would definitely buy used again!
Old 10-01-17, 08:13 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Oh yes, very easy to get like 27mpg on the CT200h.

I have an MB SLK55 AMG hardtop convertible and a Lexus RCF,..........if I drive the CT200h like my other two cars above (even though the CT200H HAS NO REAL POWER NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO)........YOU WILL GET SUB 27 mpg or less!!! If you take it easy on the gas paddle, then you CAN get 38+mpg EASILY.

Originally Posted by gshadow325
I don't know how george is driving his Ct to get high 20s low 30s mpg. I have never gotten less than 38.

while this is defiantly not a sports car nor did anyone claim it to be. Now expecting it to be one is unfair. It's a glorified commuter. I would never buy a prius and be stereo typed into a left lane hogger. where everyone wants to run you off the road. Primarily I feel it's that stupid fuel gauge meter right up there on the dash.

I can take 2 adults ans two kids 10 and 12, 900 miles for $38.50 in fuel when gas prices are $1.95. Each person has a duffle bag, and a small personal carry on lol. I bought a cargo box ans rack if I need more space on these trips. With that on top of the car I get 38mpg.

I have never in my whole driving career ever worn a set of tires from beginning to end in 18 months. I just reached 50k last week in 18 months. That's miles not kilometers!! I was filling up 40 bucks average every 275 miles with the last car this replaced.

for me, I am sold on the lexus quality, Toyota reliability and justify the performance weakness each ans everytime at the pump.

it costs money to lug around a large amount of space. It is cheaper for me to have a second car in the garage that I drive when we need a larger vehicle. I put 900 miles on that vehicle last year it cost $262 bucks. Vs sane trip $38.50. Carried the same people and similar amount of luggage except everything was spread out in the truck. They brought extras that might be used but never was stuff!!