CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

Polishing the climate control display help

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-17, 04:04 PM
Omni78
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polishing the climate control display help

Hi, I'm looking at polishing the display on the climate control panel due to some minor scratches - but not sure if A) it's worth the potential trouble, B) what the potential trouble could even mean and C) how to go about it. Is this clear plastic removable? Has anyone done it? All feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 09-19-17, 11:05 AM
tofuprod
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts

Cleaning and polishing it is tremendously easy, not a hard task at all. Not sure if the screen is removable, if it is, it's MUCH harder to do than my steps below.

1. get a drill, not an actual buffer, most buffers are far too big for this job in the enclosed space.
2. get a drill attachment for a buffer pad/polish pad, you can get a meguiars brand at walmart or amazon, or one at home depot.
Personally, get the one at Home Depot, I can't find it online but the for sure have it in the store, it's 15 dollars and it comes with a buffing pad, sanding pads (not applicable for this job) in various grits, and some polishing compound (you can use this for the job if you'd like).
3. get painters tape (blue or whatever color you want)
4. get Meguiars M205 polish and M105 cutting compound
5. a beer or beverage is optional.

---

1. take painters tape and mask off the buttons and trim pieces surrounding your climate control area, so only the LCD screen readout is exposed.
2. attach the detail pad/disk within the kit to your drill (I have an adjustable Black and Decker drill that I've used for years that has worked perfectly).
3. attach the buffing wheel onto the detail pad/disk
4. take your M105 and put very small triangular dots close to the center (since it's such a small space you're polishing)
5. lightly blot the pad with the M105 onto the areas of the LCD screen, make sure that painters tape is sealed off good so no blots will get into other areas or leak through cracks in the tape (there should be no cracks. This is with the drill OFF.
6. Take the drill (most of these have pressure sensitive triggers) and lightly start the drill and move back and forth across the screen from left to right, top to bottom.
7. Do this a couple more times, depending on how heavily 'worn' your LCD screen is.
8. take your M205 and do the same thing, use a different pad if possible, otherwise wash off existing pad that had the M105 on it with warm soap and water.
9. same thing, left to right and top to bottom.
10. take some quick detail spray or some screen cleaner (I personally do not use windex, I like to use Zep40) and a microfiber cloth to wipe clean.
11. remove blue painters tape.
12. Enjoy any residue if any from the M105/205 around car with air duster
13. drink a brew
14. keep microfiber in car to keep LCD screen clean, many people wipe with paper towels etc, which are abrasive and cause hairline ''cuts' into the screen, and I never understood most people's logic on this.

-- hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
soysauce (09-21-17)