CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-17, 06:55 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
Default 2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.

Hey Guys,

Check out this fantastic and well written review by a 2017 Lexus CT200h owner that was on the fence about getting a XenonDepot H11 HID kit for his CT200h...

Review also compares XenonDepot HID bulbs to another brand of HID bulbs....

http://www.xenondepot.com/2017-ct200...bulbs-s/99.htm

Sneak Peek:

Please check out the review for more pictures and concluding thoughts.

Steve
Old 08-20-17, 06:53 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh hey, that's me! Love the result.

The following users liked this post:
XenonDepot (08-22-17)
Old 08-21-17, 05:30 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

@Halorulr64 - Thanks!! Looking good How did the relay harness work out for you?

Steve
Old 08-21-17, 01:29 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
@Halorulr64 - Thanks!! Looking good How did the relay harness work out for you?

Steve
Fixed the issue, all good now!
XenonDepot (08-22-17)
Old 09-07-17, 04:07 PM
NCBuckeye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Care to elaborate?

Originally Posted by Halorulr64
Fixed the issue, all good now!
Thanks to Halo for the great review- it was very helpful for me to decide on Xenon Depot for my HID kit. I've ordered the extreme kit, and while I'm waiting for it I'd like to hear what the 'issue' was, and if there is any wisdom for me ahead of time that will help me on the install to get the best results​​​​​​ without discovering the issue again?
Old 09-07-17, 04:13 PM
tpham86
Pole Position

is the 4300k exact as OEM hids? I dont want the blue ricer color... The whole kit is $45? is that right?
Old 09-07-17, 04:15 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by NCBuckeye
Thanks to Halo for the great review- it was very helpful for me to decide on Xenon Depot for my HID kit. I've ordered the extreme kit, and while I'm waiting for it I'd like to hear what the 'issue' was, and if there is any wisdom for me ahead of time that will help me on the install to get the best results​​​​​​ without discovering the issue again?
Sure thing. I think you'll be happy with the XD kit. I'm not just some dude, I am pretty well versed in lighting. While HID kits are not ideal, for the CT a quality kit isn't a bad idea at all. XD is a quality kit 100%.

The issue was that, without harnesses, the headlights would fail to fire with the engine off. Flicking the headlight switch to "on" would cause the headlights to turn on, then flicker and turn off. It would take a second or even third ignition to work. This was also the case when starting the car at night with the switch set to auto. They would turn on and then off, and I'd have to reignite them. This is likely due to the thin stock wiring not providing enough current to fire my OEM Lexus Denso ballasts (from a different Lexus). I installed the Xenon Depot harnesses and the issue was fixed.

Will you have this issue with XD's ballasts? No idea, but be prepared to buy the harnesses. Long term use on the stock wiring can overheat and melt it.
NCBuckeye (09-07-17)
Old 09-07-17, 04:17 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tpham86
is the 4300k exact as OEM hids? I dont want the blue ricer color... The whole kit is $45? is that right?
The whole kit is $155 before the 10% discount. Any kit under $100 is going to be garbage, 99% of HID stuff is garbage unfortunately... http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Ki...D-p/xt-h11.htm

4300K is the OEM HID color, yes. 5000K is a cooler yellowish white, not pure white but a bit whiter. 6000K is where it starts to get a little blue. 4300K is the easiest on the eyes and the brightest.
Old 09-07-17, 04:46 PM
NCBuckeye
Driver School Candidate

Sure thing. I think you'll be happy with the XD kit. I'm not just some dude, I am pretty well versed in lighting. While HID kits are not ideal, for the CT a quality kit isn't a bad idea at all. XD is a quality kit 100%.

The issue was that, without harnesses, the headlights would fail to fire with the engine off. Flicking the headlight switch to "on" would cause the headlights to turn on, then flicker and turn off. It would take a second or even third ignition to work. This was also the case when starting the car at night with the switch set to auto. They would turn on and then off, and I'd have to reignite them. This is likely due to the thin stock wiring not providing enough current to fire my OEM Lexus Denso ballasts (from a different Lexus). I installed the Xenon Depot harnesses and the issue was fixed.

Will you have this issue with XD's ballasts? No idea, but be prepared to buy the harnesses. Long term use on the stock wiring can overheat and melt it.
Thanks again. I can tell you know more than most about this. I think the Xtreme kit includes a relay, but it seemed like most didn't use it? I haven't looked into what a relay does yet, but isn't the idea to pull power from the battery directly? I don't want to use if it if it really isn't neccesary, but sure don't like the idea of overheating the wires either, and definitely want to do things once and correctly. Would love to hear Steve's input on this too.
Old 09-07-17, 05:16 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Thanks again. I can tell you know more than most about this. I think the Xtreme kit includes a relay, but it seemed like most didn't use it? I haven't looked into what a relay does yet, but isn't the idea to pull power from the battery directly? I don't want to use if it if it really isn't neccesary, but sure don't like the idea of overheating the wires either, and definitely want to do things once and correctly. Would love to hear Steve's input on this too.
Yes, people are too lazy to install a relay. But most people put cheapo HID kits in their cars that pull very little wattage at start because they warm up for 5 minutes and only do 15W out of the claimed 35. Trust me, I've tested ballasts like this (hint: Kensun). Fun fact: An OEM Matsu****a ballast can pull almost 150W at start! EDIT: Lol it censored the name of a ballast manufacturer.

Even the Xtreme ballasts work, I'd use a relay. The stock wiring is real thin, and if it can't handle OEM ballasts, I'm sure a quality ballast will stress it. Stress on wires is basically heat due to resistance. No bueno. I'd use them if it were me, and I did! My other car runs modded Hella Gen 3 ballasts that are 35W but do 55W on demand and the stock wiring could handle it. I installed a relay harness anyway.

Installation of the harness is real easy. I can post pics for you if you'd like! You're right, the idea is bypassing the stock wiring and pulling power directly from the battery, using the stock plugs as triggers for the relay to turn on. When I told Steve about my issue with the CT, he recommended the harnesses.
NCBuckeye (09-07-17)
Old 09-07-17, 05:42 PM
NCBuckeye
Driver School Candidate

Even the Xtreme ballasts work, I'd use a relay.

Installation of the harness is real easy. I can post pics for you if you'd like! You're right, the idea is bypassing the stock wiring and pulling power directly from the battery, using the stock plugs as triggers for the relay to turn on. When I told Steve about my issue with the CT, he recommended the harnesses.
That would be awesome if you can share pics about your install! Anything that would help me install would be great.
Old 09-07-17, 10:30 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Here's the write up I did for my build thread on a different forum:

2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.-ugebukq.jpg

I ran the two power wires to the fuse box power feed (one shown). Interestingly, on the CT the main power feed bolt is hidden by this elaborate clipped in swing out door. I couldn't find it for quite a while! So this will be hidden by a cover and the wires running down will be covered halfway down the fuse box.

2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.-csesfmg.jpg

I bought these adhesive zip tie bases to route wiring easier, since the CT is pretty packed but no wiring actually runs along the radiator support. They're amazing and I'm in love.

2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.-ejzvp0n.jpg

First harness installed. Relay bolted to the fuse box mount and all the wiring from the harness and bulb zip tied into a bundle and stuck to the face of the relay.

2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.-q3pvxzm.jpg

I ran the ground up underneath/alongside the fuse box to a metal bracket bolted to the chassis. I had it running above the fuse box mount, but I had to go back and hide it better for my own sanity.

2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.-dimqbeg.jpg

2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.-timyo7x.jpg

Passenger side power wire was routed underneath inside the rad support with the adhesive mounts, completely invisible. Relay was mounted to the only flat part on the passenger side. Since the relays are potted I'm not worried about water intrusion, plus the engine bay is sealed shockingly well. I zip tied the bundle of wires and adhered them inside the rad support, you can see a bit of it through a hole.

2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.-huufohq.jpg

I ran the ground to a factory ground and used an adhesive mount to keep the wire from ever touching the coolant hose.

2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.-idgtqle.jpg

Done! Even without the plastics on, the install is invisible. The plastics cover whatever clues there could be.

2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.-rexnefc.jpg
The following 3 users liked this post by Halorulr64:
ltsr (12-17-18), NCBuckeye (09-08-17), XenonDepot (09-08-17)
Old 09-08-17, 07:07 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

@Halorulr64 - Thanks for the great write-up and detailed pictures!

Danny

Last edited by XenonDepot; 09-08-17 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-08-17, 05:47 PM
NCBuckeye
Driver School Candidate

This is great! Thanks @Halorulr64 for the pics and details. I'm going to look for those adhesive ties and try to duplicate your work.
Old 09-08-17, 05:50 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

This is great! Thanks @Halorulr64 for the pics and details. I'm going to look for those adhesive ties and try to duplicate your work.
You got it! Here's a link:
Amazon Amazon

But from what I've been told, the adhesive on them sucks. They'll fail. This will happen to me eventually. What I'd do BEFORE installing them is rip off the foam adhesive and replace it with 3M mounting tape:
Amazon Amazon

Quick Reply: 2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.