CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-17, 11:44 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
I installed an H.I.D. kit on my 2012 CT200h WITHOUT a relay and when using the Auto feature, sometimes (not all the time), only one H.I.D. bulb would turn on. But if I turn it off and back on, both H.I.D. bulbs will turn on. After noticing that, I stopped using the Auto feature, which wasn't a big deal for me.

I also have an LED setup (Xenon Depot) on a 2016 RAV4 and on my 2017 IS200T (Factory setup) and yes you are right, there is no flickering and no warm up delay.
However on the RAV4 it has been a bit over a year and they are not as bright as they used to be. Hopefully this isn't the case for everyone.
Yes that's exactly what mine were doing, relay harnesses fixed that.

Honestly, in projectors PNP LEDs haven't performed well at all. No flickering because they don't have a high initial current draw. OEM LED and PNP LED are worlds apart.
Old 09-15-17, 08:01 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Only if done right. Anything else like putting HID in stock halogen housings is ghetto and dangerous. See my write ups here:

https://priuschat.com/threads/prius-...-denso.156821/ (this exact setup here 100% transfers to the CT200h--direct plug and play--very minor trimming of the factory CT shroud required.) easy

http://www.e46mango.com/2016/04/so-y...t-all-hid.html

The only option is high-end professional company (Philips, Denso, Osram etc) HID or LED retrofit from a factory car. Some exceptions exist with VERY high quality aftermarket LED or HID projection systems WITH high end OE quality equipment.
Old 09-15-17, 11:11 AM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Only if done right. Anything else like putting HID in stock halogen housings is ghetto and dangerous. See my write ups here:

https://priuschat.com/threads/prius-...-denso.156821/ (this exact setup here 100% transfers to the CT200h--direct plug and play--very minor trimming of the factory CT shroud required.) easy

http://www.e46mango.com/2016/04/so-y...t-all-hid.html

The only option is high-end professional company (Philips, Denso, Osram etc) HID or LED retrofit from a factory car. Some exceptions exist with VERY high quality aftermarket LED or HID projection systems WITH high end OE quality equipment.
Retrofit is always going to be best, no PNP can ever come close. That being said, the halogen RX350 variants in the Prius and CT handle HID pretty well if it's a quality kit. It's an okay setup, though width is weak and foreground is pretty excessive. The foreground bothers me most on these projectors. But it's far from dangerous!

While the car is new, I'm hesitant to crack the headlights open. But an RX350 with OEM polished clear lens and custom shield is in the plans for me. My other car is in the process of a retro with Mini H1 7.0s in custom brackets with Diode Dynamics HD switchback halos powered by modded Hella Gen 3 ballasts that output 37W and can do 55W on demand.

2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.-xydqo54.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Diode Dynamics (09-15-17)
Old 12-16-18, 09:07 PM
cbug
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
I installed an H.I.D. kit on my 2012 CT200h WITHOUT a relay and when using the Auto feature, sometimes (not all the time), only one H.I.D. bulb would turn on. But if I turn it off and back on, both H.I.D. bulbs will turn on. After noticing that, I stopped using the Auto feature, which wasn't a big deal for me.

I also have an LED setup (Xenon Depot) on a 2016 RAV4 and on my 2017 IS200T (Factory setup) and yes you are right, there is no flickering and no warm up delay.
However on the RAV4 it has been a bit over a year and they are not as bright as they used to be. Hopefully this isn't the case for everyone.
I purchased the entire kit from them with the relay harness and all. I am having the same issue as you have. Did you find the solution to the problem?
Thank you.
Old 12-16-18, 09:46 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

What issue, auto not working?
Old 12-17-18, 05:54 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cbug
I purchased the entire kit from them with the relay harness and all. I am having the same issue as you have. Did you find the solution to the problem?
Thank you.
What issue were you having with your HID kit? Please send us a PM if needed with your order info so that we can better help you out.

Danny
Old 12-17-18, 06:26 AM
cbug
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Halorulr64
What issue, auto not working?
It was working fine originally, but after 2 weeks, the auto is not working but only for my driver side light. After switching it on and off a few times, it will start working eventually but very sporadically.
Old 12-17-18, 10:00 AM
14ct200h
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like the HID kit itself then the "Auto" feature. Those cheap PnP HID kits are going to happening like that where one side turns on and one side is off. Replace HID ballast IMO.
Old 12-17-18, 10:15 AM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

Did you install the harnesses? If so, might be a dud ballast or bulb on the driver's side. Does it fire up first time without auto mode?
Old 12-17-18, 10:32 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cbug
It was working fine originally, but after 2 weeks, the auto is not working but only for my driver side light. After switching it on and off a few times, it will start working eventually but very sporadically.
Thanks for sending me your order info so that I further troubleshoot with you and isolate the issue.

Danny
Old 12-17-18, 12:18 PM
cbug
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 14ct200h
Sounds like the HID kit itself then the "Auto" feature. Those cheap PnP HID kits are going to happening like that where one side turns on and one side is off. Replace HID ballast IMO.
We'll see what Xenondepot comes up with... I have another kit sitting in the garage waiting to go on my wife's car, but am now contemplating returning both...

Did you install the harnesses? If so, might be a dud ballast or bulb on the driver's side. Does it fire up first time without auto mode?
Yes to the harness. It won't fire up at all with auto mode. It does only after turning it on and off multiple times in a row. I tried today not having the auto feature ON when starting the car and the lights turned on with the switch. But very weird that it's only the driver side that does it.
Old 12-17-18, 03:20 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

That is odd. Might just be a dud component. But I can vouch for XenonDepot's quality, I have plenty of their products across both my cars and they haven't failed me once.
The following users liked this post:
XenonDepot (12-18-18)
Old 12-17-18, 07:09 PM
cbug
Driver School Candidate

That is odd. Might just be a dud component. But I can vouch for XenonDepot's quality, I have plenty of their products across both my cars and they haven't failed me once.
So i tried not running auto today and just turn it on manually - worked fine.
Auto will still not turn the driver side light though.
Old 12-17-18, 07:37 PM
Halorulr64
Driver School Candidate

That's real strange. I have XD harnesses and Denso ballasts, very power hungry ballasts, and my auto headlights work great. Without the harnesses they wouldn't work at startup.
Old 12-17-18, 07:48 PM
cbug
Driver School Candidate

That's real strange. I have XD harnesses and Denso ballasts, very power hungry ballasts, and my auto headlights work great. Without the harnesses they wouldn't work at startup.
They did work on startup, but no consistently anymore. It's very unpredictable. Today I tested it with powering it down and turning it on after starting the car. Worked great. Then tonight it didn't, had to flicker it couple of times for it to start again.

Quick Reply: 2017 Lexus CT200H - To HID kit or not.