CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

CT200h vs Corolla

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-17, 05:22 AM
astinus4
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default CT200h vs Corolla

Recently had a 2017 CT as a loaner while my NX was in for its complimentary one month checkup. I was looking forward to trying the CT to contrast it with my wife's 2015 Corolla Ascent Sport which I drive occasionally.

POSITIVES:
* Very enjoyable handling dynamics compared to the corolla.
* Comfort, Refinement and interior quality are in a completely different league.

CONS:
* Performance was very sluggish, even in Sport mode. By contrast the Corolla feels like it's got more 'punch' even though the power output is identical on paper. I assume this because the CT is heavier?

So mixed feelings overall. I liked the CT; it's definitely a better car than the Corolla, but is it worth the extra $15,000 AUD ($11k USD)? Leaning towards no at this stage.
Old 07-12-17, 11:03 AM
Miamiboy87
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It's because it's Hybrid. For $11k more, I'd rather save that and get the Corolla.
Old 07-13-17, 08:04 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Miamiboy87
It's because it's Hybrid. For $11k more, I'd rather save that and get the Corolla.
Or buy a used older CT in good condition?
Old 07-13-17, 11:36 PM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, I'm surprised that the Corolla line makes a hatchback version. Even though both cars are hatchbacks, the difference in price is primarily because of the branding and engine. The CT also looks much sleeker whereas the Ascent looks like a true economy car. Also, many of the CT's parts (hybrid drive, brakes, etc.) have a higher longevity than the Corolla - I've never heard of a Corolla lasting 400,000 miles whereas there are many Prius (same engine) that have.

After looking at the Corolla Ascent Sport I would think a better comparison would be the Scion iM, which the Scion wins IMO.
Old 07-14-17, 03:16 AM
Mutorcs
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of the price difference is justified by the powertrain, the better chassis and interior.

Here in Europe, they sell the Auris (your Corolla) with the Prius 3 powertrain, just like the CT200h.

In my opinion, the quietness at low speed + the smoothness of the CVT makes it a very relaxing experience

At the same time, I think sport mode makes it pretty reactive and actually pretty fun to drive when you want to push it!

For me this car has two sides to it: fun when you want it, relaxing when you need it.

And there's something about it that's hard to explain : everything is SO EASY it sometimes feels like an extension of my body
Old 07-14-17, 05:06 PM
astinus4
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mutorcs
Most of the price difference is justified by the powertrain, the better chassis and interior.

Here in Europe, they sell the Auris (your Corolla) with the Prius 3 powertrain, just like the CT200h.

In my opinion, the quietness at low speed + the smoothness of the CVT makes it a very relaxing experience

At the same time, I think sport mode makes it pretty reactive and actually pretty fun to drive when you want to push it!

For me this car has two sides to it: fun when you want it, relaxing when you need it.

And there's something about it that's hard to explain : everything is SO EASY it sometimes feels like an extension of my body
I absolutely agree that the CT is a better car and deserves to be more expensive - the question of how much though will probably vary for each of us. I think a base CT is a reasonable proposition compared to a loaded Corolla, but it stops making sense once you start loading the options onto the CT. A fully loaded CT here over here is comparable in price to a base NX or IS.

There's a Hybrid Corolla hatchback sold in Australia as well that would be a more direct comparison with the CT, but I've yet to drive that.
Old 07-17-17, 08:15 AM
SFarmer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying to compare any two cars as a group is an exercise in futility. Each has their own market which is why they exist (although we know that the CT is being discontinued in some markets). My Tacoma doesn't ride as nice as my CT but I can't put a load of gravel in my CT, so my pickup is better if hauling is important to me. If only financials are important, then consider the resale value as well as the maintenance and MPG. Several years ago I leased a Lexus 300 for less than a lease on a similar Camry because of the residual values.

Searching for a new car starts with a combination of aesthetics, budget, and functionality. Brand loyalty, dependability, and available options are also important. Take 10 people and each will have different priorities, so there is no "right" answer. Buy the one that makes you happy and that you can afford.