CT 200h Model (2011-2017)

New 80W LED Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-16, 06:32 AM
ChiTownRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 80W LED Headlights?

Has anyone tried the new 2016 80W LED headlight bulbs? Would 80W total, 40W each side be too much wattage for our cars?

something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-80W-800...VW7HGX&vxp=mtr
Old 05-10-16, 07:24 AM
ChiTownRX
Driver School Candidate

They even have 120W LEDs... too much?
Old 05-10-16, 08:43 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

i believe some people have.

those are just chinese made bulbs.

you should get a relay harness that wires them directly to the battery if you plan on getting those bulbs. higher wattage will melt your wires.
Old 05-10-16, 09:24 AM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by irondonkey
i believe some people have.

those are just chinese made bulbs.

you should get a relay harness that wires them directly to the battery if you plan on getting those bulbs. higher wattage will melt your wires.
FYI, most of the CREE LEDs are made in China. I have been using 2 sets (1st and 2nd gen for headlights+fogs) daily for 2 years now. Considering retofitting HID this summer to improve the cutoff and brightness, but we'll see.
Old 05-10-16, 02:46 PM
edgalang
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RonSwanson
Considering retofitting HID this summer to improve the cutoff and brightness, but we'll see.
So if you had to do it all over again you would go HID? I haven't tried LEDs yet, but I've always thought that is the new way to go.
Old 05-11-16, 03:16 AM
RonSwanson
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by edgalang
So if you had to do it all over again you would go HID? I haven't tried LEDs yet, but I've always thought that is the new way to go.
Def LED. 2 sets for ~$100 for 2 years now w/o a single issue have surpassed expectations. Retrofitting is another beast that I WANT to do, but not sure if I'll have the time to do it - with the only benefit for me being a nice cutoff. Hopefully you know what I mean by retrofit and cutoff.
Old 05-18-16, 11:59 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I don't know about these 80 W LED lights, but I recently last week bought and installed two replacements, each is 30W 3600 Lumens 6000K . I think the OP stated 80 W is actually 40 W each (X2 = 80 W. Similarly for the Lumens calculations). I had to replace these because of a frontal accident tat damaged one of the fog lights. So I only had three of the original LED lights working and I needed to replace in pair since the original vendor/manufacturer does not make the "Second Generation Cree LED lights/30 W 3000 Lumens" any more. The new ones I recently installed are $59 for the pair from the following vendor on Amazon:

Car Rover 30W Cree Chips 2S LED Headlight Super Bright 3600LM 6000K Headlamp - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs
by Car Rover
Link: http://amzn.com/B010XKZI6W

Attached pictures are with the new 30W 3600LM 6000K LED lights for the low beams and the fogs are my original 30W 3000 LM 6500K LED lights. All LED lights are H11's for my 2013 CT200h.

I also tested the new LED lights and they get a little warmer than my old LED lights, but not enough to melt anything. Also the new LED lights are a little "bigger" in size at the base.

Looks like the NEW 6000K low beams LED matched the factory LED DRL better.

Originally Posted by ChiTownRX
Has anyone tried the new 2016 80W LED headlight bulbs? Would 80W total, 40W each side be too much wattage for our cars?

Attached Thumbnails New 80W LED Headlights?-20160514_203855.jpg   New 80W LED Headlights?-20160514_203839.jpg   New 80W LED Headlights?-20160514_203848.jpg   New 80W LED Headlights?-20160514_203832.jpg   New 80W LED Headlights?-20160503_094913.jpg  

New 80W LED Headlights?-20160503_094934.jpg   New 80W LED Headlights?-20160503_094904.jpg  

Last edited by lexusrus; 05-19-16 at 03:58 AM.
Old 05-19-16, 05:55 AM
irondonkey
Pole Position

um.... wattage is by bulb.. so if a bulb is labeled 80w, it's 80w. if it's a 40w, then having a pair still means he has 40w bulbs. i've used a set of 85w bulbs as low beams before.
Old 05-19-16, 09:06 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

No, if you read carefully in each seller's ad description. ...... the wattages and lumens are for both (two) bulbs. So each is just 1/2 of total.

Also I think the 80 watts and above may have "fans with motors " built in. You don't want the ones with fans because as with any moving parts, the fan's motor will eventually fail and the bulb will overheat and burn out. The "fanless" ones are better and these better "fanless" ones do have "fins" to dissipate heat acting as a heat sink.

Originally Posted by irondonkey
um.... wattage is by bulb.. so if a bulb is labeled 80w, it's 80w. if it's a 40w, then having a pair still means he has 40w bulbs. i've used a set of 85w bulbs as low beams before.
Old 11-07-16, 07:49 AM
Hypebeast
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus

Car Rover 30W Cree Chips 2S LED Headlight Super Bright 3600LM 6000K Headlamp - Replaces Halogen & HID Bulbs
by Car Rover
Link: http://amzn.com/B010XKZI6W
is that the correct link for ct200h headlights?
Old 11-07-16, 10:44 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I think the vendor is out of the H11 led bulbs for the 2013 CT200H.

Newer CT200H maybe using a different bulb??? IDK.

Mine is a 2013 CT200H and both the low beams and fogs use H11 bulbs.

Originally Posted by Hypebeast
is that the correct link for ct200h headlights?
Old 02-18-17, 05:57 AM
biglexfan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ChiTownRX

I am also planning to do a replacement of the stock Halogen fog light with a LED on my 2014 ES. I was also concern that a total 80W power rating will overwhelmed the circuit designed for only 19W (each) on my ES. From what I can conclude after reading up on each of these claims on ebay and Amazon, these 80W claims (total) actually refer to the "equivalent brightness" to that of a Halogen, not the electrical power consumption. Some sellers actually indicated the true power consumption for each bulb lower down in their specification section with small fonts. Most of these consume typically about 8-10W electricity only, way below than what the stock circuit can handle. The 80W or even 150W LED claims are really just to get your attention.
Old 02-18-17, 11:23 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

This is the one I would go with click below. The ones I bought over two years ago was discontinued and an updated and even brighter with higher output is below.

One of the LEDs I bought on Amazon from this vendor, Car Rover, burned out after about three years if constant use (I keep the low beams on at all times for visibility so others can see my small CT200h coming). The vendor replaced it in pair (BC the old LEDs are no longer made) with the newest and even brighter LEDs WITHOUT charge (So I got two new LEDs even though only one burned out. Needed two so that the both will match due to the newer LEDs are a lot brighter.)

Amazon Amazon

See below for pics I had posted on this CT200h forum for my 2013 CT200h.......These project very far and well. I have some cut off pics inside my garage which I can't find right now. I'll post later.

EDIT: Pics of aftermarket LED low beam and fog lights cutoff below:

Aftermarket LED LOW BEAMS AND LED FOGS ON.
Aftermarket LED LOW BEAMS ON only.
Aftermarket LED LOW BEAMS AND OEM HALOGEN HIGH BEAMS ON. LED FOGs off.

More pics (links below) of my aftermarket LED LOW BEAM and FOG lights from the "DRIVER SEAT LOOKING OUT":

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=398449&d=1478182114

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=398450&d=1478182114

Below is another post I posted earlier with pics:

• lexusrus , 02-11-17 06:36 PM
    Here are pics I just took earlier this am before sunrise of my CT200h AFTERMARKET LED LOW BEAMS AND FOG LIGHTS from the point of view at the driver seat looking out through the windshield as one would be looking while driving.

With BOTH AFTERMARKET low beam LED and fog light LED on in almost complete darkness.

As you can see the latest generation of AFTERMARKET LED BULBS punched through very very far indeed.

I zoomed in on the pic where the speed limit 35 mph and further behind on the yellow diamond sign and BEYOND.......MY AFTERMARKET LED LOW BEAMS AND LED FOG LIGHTS STILL PUNCHED THROUGH (you can see ALL THE ROAD SIGNS AND GROUND REFLECTIVE MARKERS LIGHT UP). PLEASE see below:

As a comparison, I'll do a follow-up pic with my RX450h and LX 570 with OEM HID low beams when I have some time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ams30gts
    I have the OPT7 FluxBeam X LED

I really like everything other than it shines way too low.

ams30gts , 02-11-17 11:05 PM
    Yours look way better than mine. I'm posting another thread with a beamshot comparison between the Opt7 FluxBeam X vs Morimoto Elite HID.

lexusrus , 02-11-17 11:57 PM
    I think the newer LEDs are getting much better. Of course the "cheap aftermarket LEDs" like the ones I have $79 for a pair WILL NOT even remotely equal the OEM LEDs like the OEM triple beam LEDs as on my RCF. The triple beam LEDs on the RCF is very sharp and project extremely well and amazing.

I think even the current new generation of LEDs are surpassing some of the OEM HIDs. That's why some car manufacturers like Lexus is switching to LEDs.

What I'm wondering is how my cheap aftermarket LEDs on my CT200h compares to the OEM HIDs on my RX450h and my LX570. I'll have to take more pics at night and see.

Originally Posted by biglexfan
I am also planning to do a replacement of the stock Halogen fog light with a LED on my 2014 ES. I was also concern that a total 80W power rating will overwhelmed the circuit designed for only 19W (each) on my ES. From what I can conclude after reading up on each of these claims on ebay and Amazon, these 80W claims (total) actually refer to the "equivalent brightness" to that of a Halogen, not the electrical power consumption. Some sellers actually indicated the true power consumption for each bulb lower down in their specification section with small fonts. Most of these consume typically about 8-10W electricity only, way below than what the stock circuit can handle. The 80W or even 150W LED claims are really just to get your attention.

Last edited by lexusrus; 02-18-17 at 11:34 AM.
Old 02-19-17, 12:23 AM
gshadow325
Pit Crew

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
This is the one I would go with click below. The ones I bought over two years ago was discontinued and an updated and even brighter with higher output is below.

One of the LEDs I bought on Amazon from this vendor, Car Rover, burned out after about three years if constant use (I keep the low beams on at all times for visibility so others can see my small CT200h coming). The vendor replaced it in pair (BC the old LEDs are no longer made) with the newest and even brighter LEDs WITHOUT charge (So I got two new LEDs even though only one burned out. Needed two so that the both will match due to the newer LEDs are a lot brighter.)

Amazon

See below for pics I had posted on this CT200h forum for my 2013 CT200h.......These project very far and well. I have some cut off pics inside my garage which I can't find right now. I'll post later.

EDIT: Pics of aftermarket LED low beam and fog lights cutoff below:

Aftermarket LED LOW BEAMS AND LED FOGS ON.
Aftermarket LED LOW BEAMS ON only.
Aftermarket LED LOW BEAMS AND OEM HALOGEN HIGH BEAMS ON. LED FOGs off.

More pics (links below) of my aftermarket LED LOW BEAM and FOG lights from the "DRIVER SEAT LOOKING OUT":

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=398449&d=1478182114

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=398450&d=1478182114

Below is another post I posted earlier with pics:

• lexusrus , 02-11-17 06:36 PM
    Here are pics I just took earlier this am before sunrise of my CT200h AFTERMARKET LED LOW BEAMS AND FOG LIGHTS from the point of view at the driver seat looking out through the windshield as one would be looking while driving.

With BOTH AFTERMARKET low beam LED and fog light LED on in almost complete darkness.

As you can see the latest generation of AFTERMARKET LED BULBS punched through very very far indeed.

I zoomed in on the pic where the speed limit 35 mph and further behind on the yellow diamond sign and BEYOND.......MY AFTERMARKET LED LOW BEAMS AND LED FOG LIGHTS STILL PUNCHED THROUGH (you can see ALL THE ROAD SIGNS AND GROUND REFLECTIVE MARKERS LIGHT UP). PLEASE see below:

As a comparison, I'll do a follow-up pic with my RX450h and LX 570 with OEM HID low beams when I have some time.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ams30gts
    I have the OPT7 FluxBeam X LED

I really like everything other than it shines way too low.

ams30gts , 02-11-17 11:05 PM
    Yours look way better than mine. I'm posting another thread with a beamshot comparison between the Opt7 FluxBeam X vs Morimoto Elite HID.

lexusrus , 02-11-17 11:57 PM
    I think the newer LEDs are getting much better. Of course the "cheap aftermarket LEDs" like the ones I have $79 for a pair WILL NOT even remotely equal the OEM LEDs like the OEM triple beam LEDs as on my RCF. The triple beam LEDs on the RCF is very sharp and project extremely well and amazing.

I think even the current new generation of LEDs are surpassing some of the OEM HIDs. That's why some car manufacturers like Lexus is switching to LEDs.

What I'm wondering is how my cheap aftermarket LEDs on my CT200h compares to the OEM HIDs on my RX450h and my LX570. I'll have to take more pics at night and see.
You sold me, plus my hid in the fog's are giving me problems so I now have a reason. Ordered one set. I'm going to replace one fog hid and one headlight hid with the LED setup for comparison.

If they perform like I expecting I will like them.
Old 02-19-17, 02:29 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

The following is found on the vendor's Amazon item description: (Just make sure the length of the LED will fit inside the light projector housing WITHOUT touching the other end of the light housing, otherwise potentially any heat generated MAY melt your light housing). And to "FAN" OUT THE ALUMINUM HEAT DISSIPATION BELTS. See below.

Lastly make sure AFTER you insert and "LOCKS" the LED into the light housing, it is "ORIENTATED" left and right on the LED bulbs on the two opposing sides on the stalk/stick AND NOT UP AND DOWN. There is an insert in the package with instructions.

Description

Please Kindly Note:
1, The LED bulb can fit in projector lens, but the LED tube is 2-3mm longer than halogen bulb, If you want to put the LED bulb into your projector lens, please check the Diameter of the projector lens befor your order, make sure that your projestor lens has enough space to insert the led bulb. Thank you!!!
2, Because Dodge Ram 1500 Eco Diesel and Ford F150 have complex canbus system, even most headlight of HID or LED with canbus function can't 100% be compatible with these two cars, ours neither. So please don't place order if your car model is above two model.

3, Please open the heat dissipation belt to the maximum space, or the led is easy to burn.
4, Please read the user manual carefully before using this product.

Originally Posted by gshadow325
You sold me, plus my hid in the fog's are giving me problems so I now have a reason. Ordered one set. I'm going to replace one fog hid and one headlight hid with the LED setup for comparison.

If they perform like I expecting I will like them.

Quick Reply: New 80W LED Headlights?